Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anbody just rented a flat?

Options
  • 29-07-2009 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Since alot of landlords haven't come to terms with the economic apocalypse yet, what do you reckon is a reasonable "offering price," as opposed to the asking price, for a decent one or two bedroom flat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Depends where you're thinking of moving.
    Area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 sparklingdude

I'm open to suggestions. As long as I can get to NUI. How much lower than 700 can I go without moving into a dump?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭lovelyhome

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

lovelyhome wrote: »
    What kind of granny does it come with, how old is she like?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

lovelyhome wrote: »

What do you consider walking distance? I've heard of some good deals in Doughiska, but it's probably a 1:30 walk (maybe a bit less if you go through the hospital grounds, that could be a bit creepy at night though).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 sparklingdude

No and no. I just don't want a roommate this year. Now that rents are down, its an option. What's up with people not posting photos on daft? How hard can it be? Can't stand going to see a place where some butthead has tossed a sh*tty couch and table into a DIY kitchen with some pissed on mattress in the corner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I thought there were no flats left in galway, they've all been converted into apartments, conduminums and studios.
    You can get one beds for €500 or so but don't expect much.
    This one is interesting
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=741428

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Looks to me like its so small that you cant pull the chair out from under the table without hitting the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Maybe try and give a few of the property agencies a call and see what they have on their books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I just had a good luck around daft and was shocked by the poor choice available for the places near NUIG. The apartments on the Headford Rd for just over 700 are nice and very handy for NUIG and Town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

There's a few places on daft for 500-600 in the town that look ok, one place in Dun Aengus for 550 that I was interested in but don't think I'll be looking for a one bed any more. Another place for 450 on munster ave but its right in the middle of busy drunk traffic so not interested personally.
    As for haggling the landlord will always assume that they have you over a barrel so it depends on how bad you want a place. offer 100 less to start with I say, try to get fifty. With the influx of first years imminent landlords will claim they've lots of people looking at the place and use the general confusion to their advantage. Better deals after sept/oct I imagine, or within the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Definitely haggle a house here in town that used to go for €400-450 just went for €100, they are all desperate at the moment. It's either get something for the house or watch the bank repossess it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

managed to get a landlord down to 650 for a 4 bed in doughiska, but I don't think I'll be taking it - what do two people need with 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms? silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭quotaj

Xiney wrote: »
    what do two people need with 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms? silly.

Sublet and live rent-free! ;)

Just got a 3bed apartment for 1250... would not budge on the price at all. Haggled for a week and couldn't get a euro off. Used to go for 1600 apparently. Anyway it's near work so i'll save money on lunches every day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

managed to get a landlord down to 650 for a 4 bed in doughiska, but I don't think I'll be taking it - what do two people need with 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms? silly.

What was the original asking price? I'd definitely take that, you'd never have to wait for the bathroom!

what do two people need with 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms? silly.

Run a BnB, of course!

(Another classic Irish hobby ;) )

What was the original asking price? I'd definitely take that, you'd never have to wait for the bathroom!

He wanted 800 but I are hard nosed negotiator.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭BelindaL

was in a similar position myself there for a while, wanted to be close enough to town, but with parking and cheap rent....

had to be realisitc considering that galway is prob one the few places in ireland that has shown very little of the "recession" landlords here are still asking for a good bit for any bit of comfort!!

i got lucky, i glanced at a place in Rahoon, rosan glas, thinking no way too far, but i feel in love with the place and its only 700 quid a month and not much of a walk to nuig... and there is a bus stop which is served reg at enterance to estate. check it out in advertiser. if u want comfort and a bit of peace/safety its defo worth the extra ten min walk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Any more evidence of falling rents?

Seems from looking at daft, 'published' prices are still the same as 18 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

hey. quick question to ye. As opposed to making my own thread...

Can anyone tell me what the name of the Apartments above Supervalu on Fr. Griffin road are?

I'm interested in a 2 bed apartment like them, not willing to go any further outta town than that.

*Edit: Is it also possible to haggle down the price that's advertised online. For example, if they say 900, could you ask them to lower it to 800?

• Advertisement

There's a place on daft.ie and I think on the advertiser - it's one I cannot get my head around. Just for a single room en suite in Renmore, the rent they're looking for is €415 PCM. For a freakin' single room. En suite or not, that is far too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

Since alot of landlords haven't come to terms with the economic apocalypse yet, what do you reckon is a reasonable "offering price," as opposed to the asking price, for a decent one or two bedroom flat?

i think theres a misconception in general that landlords can just pick a figure from the sky and call it the rental price. as to how low you can go, the price of alot of places to rent is determined by the mortgage to be paid on them.

now of course many will read this and go off on a rant about fat cat landlords, im not interested in that argument, im just pointing out that their is a bottom end price for whats out there too and some landlords arent in a position to have much say in this. Not much point in renting places if during the tennancy the landlord has to sell it up.

im not one myself but just think people need to look at the economics. those that bought apartments didnt readily have the cash, like a lot of home owners they availed of the mortgages on offer.

There's a place on daft.ie and I think on the advertiser - it's one I cannot get my head around. Just for a single room en suite in Renmore, the rent they're looking for is €415 PCM. For a freakin' single room. En suite or not, that is far too much.

:eek:

We just moved into a 2 bed apt in Ballybrit for 550 pm!

i think theres a misconception in general that landlords can just pick a figure from the sky and call it the rental price. as to how low you can go, the price of alot of places to rent is determined by the mortgage to be paid on them.

now of course many will read this and go off on a rant about fat cat landlords, im not interested in that argument, im just pointing out that their is a bottom end price for whats out there too and some landlords arent in a position to have much say in this. Not much point in renting places if during the tennancy the landlord has to sell it up.

im not one myself but just think people need to look at the economics. those that bought apartments didnt readily have the cash, like a lot of home owners they availed of the mortgages on offer.

Mortgages smortgages... when there's more supply than demand, people will lower prices to get their product sold quickest. Getting something is better than getting nothing... short of a landlord cartel this is how it's going and how it will go.

Demand is naturally higher this month with students moving in, consequently landlords don't have to negotiate, and in fact many students wouldn't even think to do so so they'll wait for that.

Basic economics indeed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 terribletim

They took a risk and then the economy tanked. Whoops. Are renters supposed to make up for their bad investments? Landlords can't just charge high rents because they need to pay off their mortgages. Better to cut their losses than have apartments sitting empty.

You think that's bad:

I was chatting to a woman (English immigrant) in the pub the other night, who's got full board in a family home initially, 'til she finds a place of her own.

I didn't have the heart to tell her what I really think of the e220 per week that they're charging - she thinks it's a good deal 'cos they're lovely people and it's all inclusive!

:eek:

That's criminal!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Why were you even looking at a 4 bed in the first place if there's only 2 of ye?? :confused: Is this a game of "Beat the landlord"? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

To be fair god help anyone looking for a new place at the moment . The selection of rental properties that are on daft are horrible and way over priced or way out of town.
    I mean how many people will rent a 2 bed apartment for 1200 ? There's loads of them too. I rang up and said I'd pay max 700-800 and she said sorry the best she could do was 1100 but that Bin charges would be included in that ?
    Bin Charges in an apartment complex ? Pure Crazy talk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭thefeatheredcat

I'm with you there - daft is pretty bad though and anyone on daft is also posting the same ****e on all the other sites like rent.ie and so on. A lot of 1 bed bedsit type thing but even those are high rices for what you get. God help us if they put through the property tax - guess who will be paying for that through increased rents?!?

Advertisement