Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First photo for C&C

• 29-07-2009 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi all, I was practising depth of field and the spider appeared from nowhere. I have no post processing skills yet so any advice is welcome.

86443.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I posted your image inline as may be a little lazy in these parts to click the link :rolleyes:

There's a link in the FAQ about how to post images inline on a thread if you are interested.

Re: Your post - Can you post a little bit about what you were trying to achieve and how you approached it?

For example, were you shooting with a macro lens, standard kit lens, what aperture did you select and why?

Just it might assist in providing a few pointers to you.

I'll come back in tomorrow with some comment on the image itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 krbkev

Thanks for the reply. I used a canon eos 400d, EF 75-300mm lens. I took the photo in manual mode - settings f/5.6, shutter speed 1/1000 sec., ISO 200 and focal length 300mm. I used these settings as I had heard that using the long focal length would help achieve shaloow depth of field along with the f stop value. Shutter speed was purely decided upon from the 'correct' exposure guide in camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

focus looks a bit off to me, just the picture looks soft, would expect the leaf to be sharper (the picture is quite small so hard to tell exactly)... other than that it looks fine, nice contrast to the picture. Maybe if the focus was sharper on the spider or you got in a bit closer it might make for a better shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

The following is just my opinion so feel free to think that i'm completely wrong and have missed the point ;)

Your rationale serves you well to be honest. One of the more significant ways in which to achieve shallow depth of field is increase the focal length, that plus distance to subject - yes aperture is important too but as you can see from your own image at 300mm and whatever your distance to subject (relatively close I'm assuming for that focal length), you do get quite extreme bokeh and incredible narrow depth of field - this almost becomes a difficulty in that it can be too narrow too and a resulting difficulty in achieving a clear focus - possibly due to the incredibly shallow depth of field and possibly due to camera shake / motion blur at that focal length. This may be what Ghost Train is referring to.

The image itself I think isn't a spectacular image but it has achieved what you set out to achieve. I don't know that there is a spectacular image in there to be had so it may be that the scene is more a practice scene than a 'hang on the wall scene'. To try something in addition to what you've done here, I'd suggest to get closer again if the min focus distance allows it and go higher on the aperture - sometimes you need to completely obscure the background as you've done in the sample shot but sometimes it can be nicer to see a little detail still in the oof bokeh region but not quite as blurred. Getting in closer will serve to isolate your intended subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Just to add.

The composition of this photo is very good.

However there is no part of the photo in focus as far as I can make out.

You must havve been aiming for a very narrow area of focus- or maybe not using a tripod at low speed(shake).

No amount of after work will really rectify a shot which is out of focus - so remember - getting what you want to get in focus as you shoot is important.

regards

keps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Sorry - I omitted to read your response to ACD's question.

When you say 'manual' - were you also on manual focus- or did you allow auto-focus to remain?

I guess auto focus was in play -so therefore the problem is 'shake' .

Even at 1000th second at 300mm - it is common to get a small degree of 'shake(unless you are lucky enough to own a VR lens) .

Tripod needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

It's hard to tell if the image is suffering from poor focus or camera shake or perhaps both.

unfortunately the IQ of this lens is pretty poor by any standards, the problem arises from a few things i think
    First - is not enough light! increase the ISO
    Second eliminate shake more light and use a tripod
    Third - stopping down - increase the F stop while increasing the DOF it will need more light - maybe flash?
    At 300mm handholding will need lots of light
    so go back and try some of the suggestions and see what can be achieved from those.
    good luck
    :)

Advertisement