Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Normal brake disks V Drilled and Grooved

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Why the fcuk people cant have a sensible discussion without the pissing contest baffles me and is one of the reasons I dont post in here that often.

Btw, you are wrong, a caravelle is a van, a transporter van, dressed up as a passenger vehicle which is not going to handle like an Alfa or any car for that matter

The OP was thinking of getting a brake upgrade, good on him I say. I have seen far too many people upgrade power, wheels, put lowering kits on and still fit 13euro brake pads from the local autofactors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

kbannon wrote: »
    Remember that some performance pads only come to life when hot and their braking power isn't hectic when they are cold!

Hmm. I changed my OEM discs and who-knows-what type pads on a diesel Alfa GT there in February (or rather I bought the parts and had them fitted as part of a service). I put EBC Performance discs on the front (slotted and dimpled) and on the back standard. I got Ferodo DS Performance pads for the front and EBC standard pads for the back. Everything was recommended for street use.

I've done a few thousand miles since and have to say that the performance of the brakes has been disappointing-the car stops, but nowhere near as well as I would like-could it be that the EBC discs aren't up to much in general or are really only suited for 'heavy' use? I drive the car every day, and would consider my driving to be 'lively'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Hi OP. I drive an alfa.

So he was right you do drive a Fiat and lets bring it back to roost here,you wont be able to give it away when ti comes time to change :D

I'm only joking but do you see how annoying it is when someone offers an opinion that is somewhat derisory and not really what the OP wants to hear?

Bluefoam it sounds like you have some good advice to give your technique needs fine tuning (remapping if you will :D ) though.

There is no VW equivalent of the altea,a guy in work has one and it handles pretty decently for an MPv stlye car,seats have always handled well the old mk1 leon which was based on the MK4 golf was light years ahead of the golf in terms of handling even in standard guise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Hmm. I changed my OEM discs and who-knows-what type pads on a diesel Alfa GT there in February (or rather I bought the parts and had them fitted as part of a service). I put EBC Performance discs on the front (slotted and dimpled) and on the back standard. I got Ferodo DS Performance pads for the front and EBC standard pads for the back. Everything was recommended for street use.

I've done a few thousand miles since and have to say that the performance of the brakes has been disappointing-the car stops, but nowhere near as well as I would like-could it be that the EBC discs aren't up to much in general or are really only suited for 'heavy' use? I drive the car every day, and would consider my driving to be 'lively'.

I had Ferodo DS Performance pads in a AX GT before, and they needed a bit of heat to work well. A small bit of left foot braking should work to get them nice & hot.

OP, Just thinking. If you put in the big brakes, can the master cylinder move enough fluid? What'll happen is that you'll have to press the brake pedal more to move enough fluid to push the bigger pistons in the calipers. You may have to change the master cylinder, and what effect will this have, if any, on the ABS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

ianobrien wrote: »
    OP, Just thinking. If you put in the big brakes, can the master cylinder move enough fluid? What'll happen is that you'll have to press the brake pedal more to move enough fluid to push the bigger pistons in the calipers. You may have to change the master cylinder, and what effect will this have, if any, on the ABS?

Most multi piston calipers usually have smaller pistons then the bigger single piston calipers so there is no need to replace the master cylinder.

An example would be the leon cupra R, it has brembo 4 piston calipers as standard and it's master cylinder is used across the audi/vw range with single piston calipers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Neilw wrote: »
    Most multi piston calipers usually have smaller pistons then the bigger single piston calipers so there is no need to replace the master cylinder.

An example would be the leon cupra R, it has brembo 4 piston calipers as standard and it's master cylinder is used across the audi/vw range with single piston calipers :)

+1 on this the master cylinder is well up to the Job.

Neilw wrote: »
    it's master cylinder is used across the audi/vw range with single piston calipers :)

I find that strange, that the master cylinder from a Lupo would have the same bore as the master cylinder from a Passat, but if you say so :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

ianobrien wrote: »
    I find that strange, that the master cylinder from a Lupo would have the same bore as the master cylinder from a Passat, but if you say so :confused:

I never mentioned a lupo, I should have been clearer. It's used across mk4 based cars, TT, S3, golf and so on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement