Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is your Brain a Lefty or Righty?

Options
  • 29-07-2009 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Have a look here

I found this interesting. It'd be interesting to see this for all the regulars on the conspiracy theory forum.

I'm a lefty myself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Clockwise, so a righty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭masherella88

first anti-clockwise so lefty but then it changes between the two...so bit of both?:confused:

I see it as clockwise (from the top looking down), and no matter how much I concentrate I can't see how anyone could perceive it as turning anti-clockwise. Odd!

Another odd thing... I'd associate the attributes they give to the left brain with myself. 90% of the left brain functions (that it lists) would suit me, and very few of the right brain functions that it lists suit me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭masherella88

if you kinda look at it out of the corner of your eye you might be able to get it to change directions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Anticlockwise at first but I scrolled down then back up and reversed it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭alexcorb1991

strange i see it clockwise but do not fit one attribute from that side:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

first anti-clockwise so lefty but then it changes between the two...so bit of both?:confused:

Me too! How's it do that? :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I just make it go whichever way I want. But When it starts out it is usually logic side for me, but now that I am upset at the moment is started out on the feelings direction. :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Larianne wrote: »
    Me too! How's it do that? :eek:

Both sets of info are in the pic I imagine, your dominant side picking which way to focus it for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Both sets of info are in the pic I imagine, your dominant side picking which way to focus it for you?

Well weird how it flipped on me.

.. oh did it again!! :eek: Me brain won't make up it's mind!!

Ah I think it's a farce!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

If you focus on the shadow you can see it change direction

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Saw it first going clockwise and after blood, sweat and tears I got it going anti-clockwise. Now I can't get it clockwise!!!
    Oh wait, just switched back to that tab and now it's clockwise. Stupid brain.

Pretty cool stuff tbh. Can associate a good few attributes of the right but also many from the left. Again, shows how little we know about the brain.

EDIT: Can't get it going anti-clockwise anymore!!! God this is so annoying!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

No matter what way I look at it - always clockwise.

It says that most people see anti-clockwise, it would be interesting to know what percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Ah, I've come across this before. I remember being able to change it at will, with considerable effort... it's a headwrecker.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Ah, I've come across this before. I remember being able to change it at will, with considerable effort... it's a headwrecker.

As GaNjaHaN said, once it's spinning you need to focus on the shadows to get it to turn in the opposite direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dmullar

Another odd thing... I'd associate the attributes they give to the left brain with myself. 90% of the left brain functions (that it lists) would suit me, and very few of the right brain functions that it lists suit me.

I see it spinning clockwise so it regards me as a lefty, but i'd definitely say the description of righty is a much better fitting one for me too.

Edit: Woah, with enough practice you can get her to be kinda stuck, so she only does a quater turn before changing directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I'm trying to figure out how the lighting works, and what angles the floor/walls have to be for the shadows to work...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

if you kinda look at it out of the corner of your eye you might be able to get it to change directions :)

Now that's curious. When focusing on it it takes about twenty seconds for me to manage to flip it, but out of the corner of my eye I can flip the direction of the spin almost constantly.

Interesting that the brain treats peripheral vision so differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

It's clockwise for me. Although I'm not really sure if I'd associate with the attributes presented for a right sider. I'm kind of a mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

I see it clockwise and I don't know how anyone can see it any different. On the description of left vs right though im very much a left so I kind of think this test is BS (although interesting that someone can see her turning differently than me)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

When i took the test the dancer was definitely turning clockwise.

However, not all the attributes suited me and questionaires i have done previously suggest i use both hemispheres equally.

What intrigues me is that they list "spatial perception" as a "right-brained" attribute as I was deliberately trying to use my spatial reasoning to visualise the dancer's movements in 3 dimensions.

Would i be wrong in saying that just because one hemisphere of someone's brain is dominant during one specific test, does not mean it is always dominant for all activities?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

It goes clockwise for me and I can't get it to go the other way at all. The description for the right brained person definitely suits me over the left brained person, so they got me pegged right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Instinctively she is going clockwise for me, if you want to change her direction without busting your frontal lobe simply point your index finger at the image and then swing said appendage in a circular fashion one way then the other. If you get the timing right she follows. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Yeh like a lot of people here I'm getting clockwise and struggling to see how it can be anything other than that!

Havn't tried too hard to switch directions though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Its turning Clockwise for me. All the way, round and round.

Then being aware it is a test, I focus on the details of the image and anti-clockwise she spins.

The shadows are interesting, I am wondering what kind of dance she is doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

wow - she's fit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

It turns clockwise for me too, but i can change it to anti-clockwise by focusing on the shadow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Where's the science behind this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

I must be a devout right-brainer, as I can't even fathom how she could be turning anti-clockwise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Where's the science behind this?
    Look the Herald Sun says it, no doubt the most reliable newspaper in all of Australia, IT MUST BE TRUE! :P

Advertisement