Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb metro, wifi?

Options
  • 29-07-2009 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭

So im getting digiweb metro soon and i know they dont give out wifi modems so im not that tech savvy,

Can i go out and buy a wifi modem and just set it up or is there something else i have to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Yep..made sure to get a Cable DSL router.
    The normal eircom router ASDL will not work with metro.
    Had Metro before and it was great product with excellent support.
    Not sure how they are now.

1. Buy DSL router
    2. Use a network cable to link the Metro router to the wireless router
    3. You should now see a wireless network that allows you to attach to the internet.
    Make sure to lock the wireless down with a password so joe soap next door isn't logging onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Not a DSL router, of any discription, metro has nothing to do with DSL.

Just a standard wireless router, something along these lines http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=340639

You need one with an RJ45 (network cable) WAN port. That will connect to your metro modem and share the connection over your wireless network.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Don't get a DSL router. As spartacus said, get a standard wireless router. If you're in a shop, ask for a router used for NTL or non-phoneline broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭andy125

would this do the job? Belkin 54G

bump,

should i buy this or no?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

andy125 wrote: »
    bump,

should i buy this or no?

Just get a wireless router you can attach onto your other modem, also the one you linked is for cable broadband, is digiweb cable or dsl? I would avoid Belkin stuff like the plague tbh, tryed their modems in the past and just couldn't get it working, go for something like THIS, You simply attach this to your digiweb modem (via ethernet cable) and it will allow you use it wirelessly, Linksys are a good brand (home version of cisco)

Nick

Its the wireless metro, ya i guess i will get that one then thx

It says max speed of 56mps which is like 6mb?

Anyway im getting a 8mb package, will the router affect the max speed i could get?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Damn, sorry that I didn't see this thread often. You probably would have got a few replies if you posted in the Broadband or Wireless forum. Either place discuss routers very often.

Belkin routers are crap, IMHO. I'd expect anything else to be better. Most Linksys, Netgear, Buffalo and some D-Link routers are good.

I think that recommendation (link is broken, had to look up the catologue number) you were given, is good. The WRT54G was generally very good (except for the mark VII version, it had dire range). I've heard nothing bad about the WRT54G2, though it's probably a higher price than some of the routers I've seen.

As for speeds, 54Mb/s is what, 6 or 7 MB/s. Megabits = megabytes divided by 8. That 802.11G router will handle an 8 Mbit connection no bother.

One final thing. Even the best wireless g standard routers will only transfer data at about 21 Mb/s instead of 54 Mb/s, as a lot of speed is lost to make the signal fully reliable/secure among other more technical reasons.

Advertisement