Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Bewan Modem Problem

• 29-07-2009 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I've recently signed up to Vodafone at Home 7MB and received a Bewan modem which I still can't get internet access on after over a week of trying. The DSL light keeps flashing very slowly. 2 calls to support resulted in them logging a faulty line with Eircom who sent someone out and after checking the line he got a perfect signal on his eircom modem. Vodafone then sent me a new modem (another Bewan similar to the last) and I still have the same problem.
    Anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Hmmm, I'm pretty much stumped.

Can you try plugging the bewan yoke into a couple of the phone sockets in the house, and turning the modem on? Using just a working flex, no filters involved for this test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You have the User name & Password on the PPPoE WAN connection section?

You can access the setup/status pages via etherent?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fireblader

Thanks for the help Guys. I am able to get into modem settings using 192.168.1.1 by ethernet or wireless. The router diagnostics say router synchronised but server not ready. This is killing me as I'm not a complete beginner. I've tried all the usual things: disconnecting anything from the other phone socket (there are only 2), resetting and rebooting the router. What has me stumpted is the fact that the Eircom guy could get a steady dsl light on his eircom modem. I don't see why I should have to buy a new modem when there's one included. I'm assuming that I don't need to change any default settings as the helpdesk didn't mention it?

You do need to enter the Vodafone supplied Username and Password. ANY supplier other than eircom needs a specific user & pass to logon to the network

ON the PPPoE/WAN connection Modem settings page.

This is NOT the Username and Password for access to the Router, which should be decided by yourself and should be changed from the default to aviod "driveby" malware Webpages changing the DNS on the Router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Check Watty's other suggestion. The PPPoE details. Vodafone should have given you those details in a letter or suchlike.

Indeed, Vodafone's customer care should be able to set that up for you at least? Call them again, and find someone who sounds like they know what they're doing:p

• Advertisement

I've reset the modem so often now that I'm leaving the default username and password until I have this sorted ie vodafone:vodafone for the router. Once in the settings for internet the modem activation username and password are already entered (though I have entered these again manually) but still no luck. Anything else I could be missing?

There may be defaults "already entered". But there will be an email or letter etc with your specific entry details (username might be Account number).

General Settings

Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplex: LLC
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

PPPoE Username and Password

To get your details if you have lost them contact contact support

The Vodafone Broadband support page is fairly rubbish.

Thanks for the help watty. I have entered the username and password in the letter from Vodafone. I have just got off the phone to support and they think it's a username/password issue and they are going to reset it from their end (even though I have entered it correctly). It takes 24 hours so I'll let you know tomorrow if that solved it.

Problem sorted at last. After support had reset the username/password from their end it has just started working in the last hour (although the modem is telling me I'm connected at 4MB instead of 7MB - but that's another problem!).
    Thanks for the help lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fergusyarrow

Hi fireblader. 7Mbps is the theoretical maximum. Depending on the distance you live from the exchange, line quality, etc your line speed will differ and you will seldom get the full amount advertised.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

you will seldom get the full amount advertised.

You NEVER get the full amount advertised on ANY eircom product . The 10% pppoe 'overhead' is misleadingly included in the package. Smart puts the overhead 'overhead' and give you the full speed. Others may too.

Subtract 10% off any advertised speed to find out what the real maximum possible speed is .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ozal83

i got home broadband with Vodafone via my land line.first i activated my eircom land line then Vodafone took over my line.I got Bewan Dsl router after some stage got connection.
    i want login to open Box Configuration page and entered the details came with Vodafone letter(include username&password) it didn't work.
    How do I reset username and password for Box Conf.??
    please help..

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭potter on

Hi,

I assume Router configuration. did you connect your pc to LAN socket at the back of router? as far as I remember, you need to type in 192.168.1.1 in web address, then username/password are vodafone/vodafone.
    ozal83 wrote: »
    i got home broadband with Vodafone via my land line.first i activated my eircom land line then Vodafone took over my line.I got Bewan Dsl router after some stage got connection.
    i want login to open Box Configuration page and entered the details came with Vodafone letter(include username&password) it didn't work.
    How do I reset username and password for Box Conf.??
    please help..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

@ozal83 - use the login details that are on the sticker on the back of the router to access its configuration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

Vodafone have just told me that to configure a netopia router, you have to go to 192.168.1.254

username is vodafone@vodafone.ie
    pwd is broadband

@ozal83 - use the login details that are on the sticker on the back of the router to access its configuration

i did try everything

potter on wrote: »
    Hi,

I assume Router configuration. did you connect your pc to LAN socket at the back of router? as far as I remember, you need to type in 192.168.1.1 in web address, then username/password are vodafone/vodafone.

I don`t know what to do even cus.serv couldnt help..:mad:

i did.but i din`t work.I wonder did i changed the setting or password by mistake?any way to reset it.?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

I noticed you can attach a Vodafone mobile modem to this in the event your DSL goes down...can these be bought seperately as on one off without subs??

nope just checked, you can get pay as you go for a fiver a day......80 quid for the modem which isn't cheap either

My Vodafone modem arrived yesterday, not a Bewan though!

Just a basic ZyXEL modem, model P-660HW-T1

Not worth pushing for if you already have a netopia or voyager modem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

they must have run out of the bewan!! interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LEM007

Received the ZyXEL modem yesterday as well. Do you think I'd be better sticking with it or getting Vodafone to send out a Bewan (they have offered)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SenorCarlsberg

i'm getting my new router from vodafone delivered tomorrow....will let ye kow if its a Zyxel or Bewan.

Are the Zyxel ones resally that poor in comparison to the Bewan ones, that i should request to be sent out a Bewan if i get a Zyxel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

the sad thing is most people like myself have the bewan in its box still as too much hassle changing all the WPAs etc on stuff in the house e.g. laptops, wireless printers, xbox etc.

i'm getting my new router from vodafone delivered tomorrow....will let ye kow if its a Zyxel or Bewan.

Are the Zyxel ones resally that poor in comparison to the Bewan ones, that i should request to be sent out a Bewan if i get a Zyxel?

My Zyxel is back in its box and I'm back on my Netopia. I found the range very poor on the Zyxel and after the signal dropped, it took ages to reconnect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

homer911 wrote: »
    My Zyxel is back in its box and I'm back on my Netopia. I found the range very poor on the Zyxel and after the signal dropped, it took ages to reconnect

Which exact Netopia model are you talking about?

I have the same zyxel model at home-during the first week or so the signal would sometimes just drop and reconnect ny itself. The past month though it seems to be working fine-even on days when i leave it on for about 15 hours straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

my bewan modem has stopped working at all now as i was trying to get the hard drive to work with it, no lights at all but they do just flash on momentarily when the power is turned on.

does anyone know if i bring it to the vodafone store tomorrow would they exchange it?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

foggy_lad wrote: »
    my bewan modem has stopped working at all now as i was trying to get the hard drive to work with it, no lights at all but they do just flash on momentarily when the power is turned on.

does anyone know if i bring it to the vodafone store tomorrow would they exchange it?

Did you try the reset button

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

dogpile wrote: »
    Did you try the reset button
    yes i tried all the buttons, the lights dont come on at all except for a quick flash when the power is turned on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 cathal CSE

pppoe is "vodafone@vodafone.ie" password is "broadband"

Advertisement