Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Rental Issues Sorted Out Again

Options
  • 30-07-2009 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

Since we moved into a rented house about 6 months ago there has been nothing but problems with the place. The main window in the living room was 'buckled' in that it didn't lie flat against the window frame and so there was a very sizeable gap letting in cold air. It took about two months for the landlords handyman to fix it inbetween visits. We also had a serious leak from the kitchen sink which took time for them to come and sort out.

We are having more problems and I've drafted another letter to the landlord. With the issues below and the problems we had above would we have a case with the PRTB if they don't solved the problems within the month given? We're paying good money for a small 2 bedroom house but I don't think it's justified at this stage and we'd love to move out. Here's the letter I'm preparing to send off:
    I am grateful that X was able to come out and fix the window in the living room but it was a little disappointing that it took several months’ in-between visits to achieve this. Nevertheless it is fixed now and we are no longer losing heat. When X was with us I showed him the window in the main upstairs bedroom which is suffering from the same issue, a large gap between the window itself and the frame. I asked if he would be able to fix this but he wasn’t able to give me an answer. It was a possibility but with no definite time frame. Again I would appreciate if this window could be looked at and fixed.

While X was here I mentioned how we were experiencing a rather serious mould problem in the cupboards by the sink. I wrote in my last letter to you that we had had a leak from the pipes under the sink which must have contributed to our current mould problem. While I was talking to X he informed me that before we moved into the house there had been a very serious leak which he believed was most likely the cause of the mould and not the leak we had after we moved in.
    Mould is quite a serious issue and a health hazard. There have been a few times when I’ve taken various cooking implements out from the cupboard in order to use them only to find them covered in a layer of mould. I am very keen to have this particular issue resolved as it can directly affect our health.

If you care to recall several weeks back there was some thunder showers over Dublin, I believe it may have been just after X had been to fix the window. The rain that night was particularly heavy and as a result it flooded the kitchen. The run off area in the small courtyard was unable to cope with the amount of rain and it could only go one way and that was into the kitchen. I fear that with the next heavy shower we will again have a flooded kitchen.
    Since then we’ve had a problem with slugs in the kitchen. Almost every night I can be guaranteed that if I walk into the kitchen I’ll find a slug or two. I have taken some photos and can send them onto you if you wish. This is rather disgusting and I’m not sure how it can be resolved. Putting down poison isn’t an option as it would be a health hazard but it does need to be resolved.

I would appreciate if the above issues could be resolved and I feel that one month would be a reasonable timeframe with which to have these issues sorted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

With the issues below and the problems we had above would we have a case with the PRTB if they don't solved the problems within the month given?

I'd imagine so, but ring the PRTB and Threshold to make sure. It sounds like your house is not a healthy/safe place to live because of the landlord's inaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

If it was me I'd be more formal. You don't need to thank the LL for doing his job. The letter is fine but I'm not sure you need such a background story. I would clearly state the issue, explain that you are now allowing a 1 month period for these problems to be rectified or, as is your right, you will be then giving notice to terminate the lease as the LL has neglected his obligations.

If you do go the PRTB route remember that you have to pay for the case and that you also HAVE to stay in the accommodation during this period as the tenancy is frozen. If you call threshold they will advise you to send the letter, allow a reasonable time for LL to respond and at that point terminate the lease.

We had an issue recently with our LL and it took over 6 weeks to fix, only after we threatened a PRTB case!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

One of the men who works for the landlord called today and said they'd install a dehumidifier for 2 weeks to see if that sorts out the mould problem we've been having. Grand I thought and gave them the go ahead. They came around while I was out and set it up. When I came home and was walking through the front door I thought someone had left the washing machine on but no it was this- an industrial strength dehumidifier! :eek:

I called them up and mentioned that it wasn't really practical to have in a small kitchen and for two weeks!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/liamandagnieszka/3792823214

Advertisement