Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl modem link light flashing

Options
  • 30-07-2009 3:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

connection seems same as usual.

cisco epc2203 modem connected to a linksys wrt54g.

link light on the cisco started flashing a few days ago and hasnt stopped. (about a 100 times a minute)

messing around to see whats up, I did ->

long reboot cisco = still flashing.

plug out the linksys = stops flashing.
    checked incoming/outgoing logs on linksys = blank.
    temp changed wireless security settings = still flashing.

ntl are working in the area, anyone know whats up ? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

I have exactly the same, upc support say this is normal, the link light shows internet traffic so I'm wondering will it use up my allowance rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

On the emta you have link flashing or even on solid is normal operation and only referrs to comm from your in router or comp connection on the ethernet link. You demonstrated this when you removed the router and the light stopped. Strange as to why it went from on solide to constantly flashing after no changes from yourself but the modem is only responding from input from the router so if its bothering you check out the router settings.... still its not a problem and wont effect your connection at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Getting this as well on my cablemodem. The constantly flashing LINK light started at the same time my phone service from UPC started acting up. Seems to be something up with UPC's side of the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

have checked router and wireless settings but everything seems ok, strange one this, as previous poster has said, it must be on upc side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭col123

thanks for the reply guys, its still flashing away madly, maybe ill get used to it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

col123 wrote: »
    thanks for the reply guys, its still flashing away madly, maybe ill get used to it :)

Mine is the same the last few days.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭MHP

Me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Mine has been the same since they fixed the service in my area of D15 last week , flashing like crazy.

Little point in ringing them about it. I'll either get forwarded to the premium rate support line OR they'll arrange an engineer call out to replace my modem :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I noticed mine doing this too. I thought my wireless had been hacked. Relief... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hi there,

Same here! recv has been flashing for days now, but its led me to another problem. I cant get wireless access to work or my router at all. Even tried another one to no avail. If I connect ethernet to pc Im fine, but ethernet to router WRT54G (linksys) then everything sees everything else but not the internet. I can see the router and all the settings seem right but still nothing. Laptops etc see the Linksys as normal. Took wireless security off (temporarily!) but nothing there either. Help!

Perhaps someone might be able to stick up some settings that work (or PM me) and I can try that before making sandwiches for a call to UPC.

Thanks in advance!
    Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Its nothing to do with UPC...

http://office.manualsonline.com/mdownloads/3e6abf78-3fd0-46b7-bfe8-2f44bcbc922b.pdf

Quote from the manual......

"LINK- Illuminates solid green to indicate that an Ethernet/USB carrier is present and blinks to indicate that ethernet/USB data is being transferred between PC and cable modem."

Not the network and the modem. All in house.

@simon maher: Is it the wifi emta you have?

If so enter the settings section, under wireless security disable the WPS on the right hand side, click apply at the very bottom of the page.

No re scan for networks...... Any luck?

hightower1 wrote: »
    "LINK- Illuminates solid green to indicate that an Ethernet/USB carrier is present and blinks to indicate that ethernet/USB data is being transferred between PC and cable modem."

Not the network and the modem. All in house.
    If you connect a "dumb" device like a switch, to the Ethernet port of the cablemodem, the constant blinking starts again. Since a switch can't generate traffic, the traffic can't be originating from the customer side of the cablemodem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

My LINK lights been blinking constantly since I got the 20 Mbs installed in April this year. (Netgear WGR614v9). Even blinks when the computer is off and nothing is up or downloading. Never thought about it until now.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I noticed this a few weeks ago. When I disconnect the Netgear WGR614, it stops flashing.

It definitely didn't do this before. Ah well!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

The Link light used to always blink once every few seconds, this was normal. Now it blinks non-stop, as if you're maxing out your connection downloading. It definitely did not do this to me a month ago. The blinking also started around the same as their phone service started acting up.

Advertisement