Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Owning a handgun

Options
  • 30-07-2009 6:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

All,
    Now that the dust is settling on the Misc provisions act, what are the the chances of owning a handgun in the future if I do not already have one?

I'm on the team at Bishops Moutain, I cannot fully get to grips with clay shooting but have always wanted to take up pistol shooting. We have been holding back setting up a pistol range until we understood what was happening with the new hand gun laws and the impact on individuals & clubs.

I the current climate, how could I justify handgun ownership (assuming I met all of the security req'mts etc)? I cannot apply on the basis of needing the gun for protection or owning the gun for 'fun', so can anyone advise what other reasons beyond 'wanting to take up the sport' would help support my application for a license.
    Thanks,
    David

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

dave999 wrote: »
    All,
    Now that the dust is settling on the Misc provisions act, what are the the chances of owning a handgun in the future if I do not already have one?
    The dust hasn't settled by a long way yet :( There's still the Garda guidelines to see and they'll give us all a better idea of what way things will work on the ground.
    I'm on the team at Bishops Moutain, I cannot fully get to grips with clay shooting but have always wanted to take up pistol shooting. We have been holding back setting up a pistol range until we understood what was happening with the new hand gun laws and the impact on individuals & clubs.
    Have you been to any pistol ranges yet?
    I the current climate, how could I justify handgun ownership (assuming I met all of the security req'mts etc)? I cannot apply on the basis of needing the gun for protection
    Never a reason anyway.
    or owning the gun for 'fun'
    :eek:
    so can anyone advise what other reasons beyond 'wanting to take up the sport' would help support my application for a license.
    Thanks,
    The criteria for owning a pistol are no different to those for owning any firearm. Apart from being safe to have one and not being disentitled, you must also have a 'good reason' for owning one. Assuming Section 32 of the 2006 act is commenced this week, you will also need to be a member of an authorised rifle or pistol club.

So if you want to do this in Bishop's Mountain, you will have to go through the process of having a range certified and getting your club authorised before you can then use membership of the club as a 'good reason'. We also don't know exactly how the new act will be interpreted on the ground as regards what is an 'Olympic pistol'.

My first bit of advice is to go visit a pistol club. Fermoy would be closest to you I think and Midlands also. You would be welcokme to visit Rathdrum at any time as well. Just PM me and I'll arrange it.

There was a pistol range in Wexford, Billy Kelley had something going, not sure if it still is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Hilltop (www.pcquad.com)

is a fully authorised Shotgun, Rifle and Pistol Range in Wicklow.

Call Pat for a chat if you need more info or help on this

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

There was a pistol range in Wexford, Billy Kelley had something going, not sure if it still is though.
    Castlebridge I think. It's invitational though as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

rrpc wrote: »
    Castlebridge I think. It's invitational though as far as I know.

It's near Ferrycarrig, try The Gun Shop in Wexford for details.

Castlebridge is invitational and a separate club/range.

I'd wait a few weeks to see how things develop when the guidelines are published.

• Advertisement
Advertisement