Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cowen at the races?

Options
  • 30-07-2009 8:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

great to see the esteemed leader is not so worried about our current situation that he can still find the time to attend ffs favorite meeting. where is this assholes head at?:mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,513 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

unwyse wrote: »
    great to see the esteemed leader is not so worried about our current situation that he can still find the time to attend ffs favorite meeting. where is this assholes head at?:mad::mad::mad:

So what? He's entitled to go as everyone else is.

The FF tent is long gone at the Galway races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭unwyse

should at least be on the bridge while the ship is listing,not in a ***king lifeboat:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Have to say I agree with Rarnes1, the man has a right to a day off. In fairness, most other party leaders prob couldn't have done a much better job. What is it with Irish people forgetting that's the recession is actually a world wide issue not just an Irish one?

does the man have a right to 60 odd days off with the way things are? everyone else is either working their nuts off to try and hold onto their jobs or worried that they might be next for the chop.you would think that both himself and his ministers would at least pretend to make an effort,oh i forgot this is ireland,politicions dont have to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

does the man have a right to 60 odd days off with the way things are? everyone else is either working their nuts off to try and hold onto their jobs or worried that they might be next for the chop.you would think that both himself and his ministers would at least pretend to make an effort,oh i forgot this is ireland,politicions dont have to try.

What is the basis for "60 odd days off"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Enda is that you??

summer holidays,just like every other workers [not that theres too many left] in the state, or dont all workers share the same holiday breaks? and i dont believe for a moment that they dont stop just because the dail doesnt sit,its the biggest and best paid con job in the world.:mad::mad:

S Carnage, ye were always a little bugger in the classroom, how did ye recognise me? was it the quif or the way i might look at ye? now sit down there before i slap ye!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

rarnes1 wrote: »
    So what? He's entitled to go as everyone else is.

The FF tent is long gone at the Galway races.

No they moved the meetings into one of the new hotels that they helped get planning for and also gave generous tax concessions on :rolleyes:
    Gillo wrote: »
    Have to say I agree with Rarnes1, the man has a right to a day off. In fairness, most other party leaders prob couldn't have done a much better job. What is it with Irish people forgetting that's the recession is actually a world wide issue not just an Irish one?

Well hello mr grassroots :rolleyes:

I think we need the political equivalent of DDT to finally get rid of some of the more noxious weeds that have been strangling the Irish political and economic landscape.

Maybe the Irish people aren't quiet as forgetful as you and your buddies think or hope.
    Maybe one of these days they might get a bit more upidty than just heckling their speeches and protesting outside their clinics.

Oh if he is on holidays then does he have the use of the company car, driver and helicopter ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Why not go racing yourself unwyse?

At the very least, you'll realise that this is where stuff gets done.

Go back and have a read of 'Ireland 101', as the yanks would say.

No big Cowen fan myself but I'm sure his phone is on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

jmayo wrote: »
    No they moved the meetings into one of the new hotels that they helped get planning for and also gave generous tax concessions on :rolleyes:

I think we need the political equivalent of DDT to finally get rid of some of the more noxious weeds that have been strangling the Irish political and economic landscape.

Maybe the Irish people aren't quiet as forgetful as you and your buddies think or hope.
    Maybe one of these days they might get a bit more upidty than just heckling their speeches and protesting outside their clinics.

Oh if he is on holidays then does he have the use of the company car, driver and helicopter ?

+ billions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

what was his number and what place did he come ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

If you ask me I would say that Cowen hasnt been at the races for a while now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

stupid thread.... close it please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Never mind Cowen, he at least is trying to do something however incompetantly. No my special contempt is reserved for that tosspot Bertie Ahern who was there on Monday. I'm sorry I missed him as I have a special name I want to call him to his face.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I have a special name I want to call him to his face.:mad:

Pookie?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I rate Cowen a poor policitian and worse leader but even politicians are allowed time off. although holidays in line with the private sector would be more appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Maybe people are annoyed as the single most pressing piece of legislation this year (NAMA) needs to be put through quick smart and that shower have fecked off on holidays as if nothing important is going on.

Jesus christ, they managed to get that mickey mouse blasphemy bill sorted before the hols so why not NAMA:confused:

Maybe a sense of urgency on their part would mean more sympathy to them and their holiday entitlements.

robbie_998 wrote: »
    what was his number and what place did he come ? :rolleyes:

He was and is a non-runner.

Dáil hols are Dáil hols. they weren't Cowen's idea in fairness.

Haven't he and his cabinet done their bit for the NAMA legislation? If they houses of the Oireachtas ain't sitting now, nothing he can do.

Begrudging the races is silly. How does it help matters if he foregoes it? There is austerity that helps, and austerity that is pointless. This request falls in the latter category.

• Advertisement

topper75 wrote: »
    Dáil hols are Dáil hols. they weren't Cowen's idea in fairness.

True enough, he doesn't have many ideas does he now :rolleyes:
    Haven't he and his cabinet done their bit for the NAMA legislation? If they houses of the Oireachtas ain't sitting now, nothing he can do.

Begrudging the races is silly. How does it help matters if he foregoes it? There is austerity that helps, and austerity that is pointless. This request falls in the latter category.

Ah the poor pets, lets all join the soldiers of dysentry and give them all a good slap on the back for all the hard work they have done in rescuing our economy. :D
    Now if you will just hang on I have to go get my machete.

You know we are so ungrateful a people as they mentioned at the Ard Fheis :rolleyes:

If Cowen and the rest of the shower even for a split second, owned up to their part in the destruction of the Irish economy, there wouldn't be half the anger that there is at the moment.

The FFers can't get it into their thick heads that we all know that there's a global recession, but they just won't admit that Cowen and co are responsible for Ireland's problems being ten times worse than they should be.

Ah the poor pets, lets all join the soldiers of dysentry and give them all a good slap on the back for all the hard work they have done in rescuing our economy. :D
    Now if you will just hang on I have to go get my machete.

You know we are so ungrateful a people as they mentioned at the Ard Fheis :rolleyes:

Fair enough to attack them for inaction but you can't say inaction on NAMA. It is a BS accusation. What is this 'ungrateful' thing from the RDS? Give us that quote in full please.
    ejmaztec wrote: »
    If Cowen and the rest of the shower even for a split second, owned up to their part in the destruction of the Irish economy, there wouldn't be half the anger that there is at the moment.

The FFers can't get it into their thick heads that we all know that there's a global recession, but they just won't admit that Cowen and co are responsible for Ireland's problems being ten times worse than they should be.

Keep up with the news - Lenihan came out and said they had made mistakes. FF messed up the public finances by spending extraordinary stamp duty income on inflating the pub sect wage bill. However - to say that this made the downturn 10x worse for people is not true. The good times were riding on a cloud of DFI - the DFI was going to go to cheaper places in a tigher global economy anyhow. The govt can't do price control. The Chinese govt perhaps.:)

Keep up with the news - Lenihan came out and said they had made mistakes. FF messed up the public finances by spending extraordinary stamp duty income on inflating the pub sect wage bill. However - to say that this made the downturn 10x worse for people is not true. The good times were riding on a cloud of DFI - the DFI was going to go to cheaper places in a tigher global economy anyhow. The govt can't do price control. The Chinese govt perhaps.:)

Wasn't he a bit of a lone voice on this one?

They did exacerbate the problem substantially by having diddly-squat in the kitty. The public-sector wage bill was only part of the problem.

Fair enough to attack them for inaction but you can't say inaction on NAMA. It is a BS accusation. What is this 'ungrateful' thing from the RDS? Give us that quote in full please.

Where he told the party faithful that they would not be appreciated even though they were making the tough decisions ?
    Perhaps it wasn't at the ARd Feis that it was stated, but at some ministers junket, sorry meeting :rolleyes:

The wrong actions can be as bad as inaction or do you fail to see that like the fact that the party have sunk this country through their policies ?

Ehh the downturn is worse because they are the party that allowed our competitiveness go out the window because of a property boom they fueled by
    a) allowing massive property speculation and wholesale investment by having no tax disincentives for these practices
    b) allowing banks play silly buggers dishing out massive credit all the while not having the capital base to back it up.
    IFRSA and central bank answer somewhat to the dept. of finance do they not ?

They increased public expenditure, more correctly more jobs for the biys and wage hikes.
    The wage hikes were due in part to keep unions on side to help their members to afford one of the vastly overpriced shoeboxes developers were offering.
    Thus costs of doing business in this coutry went way up, which meant our real industrial base (manufacturing and services) was already on the downwards slope long before credit crisis cut in (eaxserbating the property collapse) or world economy started to go into recession.
    Remember all the manufacturing jobs that left Ireland pre 2008 and not all of these were FDIs either.
    And a lot of them were not basic cheap jobs either or do you think Telecoms Development Engineers are low skilled jobs ?

But of course you can tow the party line which states we were unlucky because the subprime US bubble burst, the cheap credit dried up and the world went into recession.

Now please tell me which one of those explains why we are buying out approx 90 billion of the banks debts due to loans to property developers ?
    Which one of the above explains why the cureent deficit is approx 20 billion per annum ?

Answers on a postcard please :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Its more of an extremely moronic PR move than anything else.

Everyone knows for FF the galway races are basically associated with back handers so if they were intelligent they'd find a new way to play their game.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

its a terrible shame that this great nation is stuck with a man like this during
    a time of crisis

when our Republic really needs a statesman we are lumbered with a relic of a gombeen man

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Everyone has a right to an opinion, yes I generally would vote for FF and have done up to now and yes I am a member of FF. I don't have confidence in the Cowen and will actually vote against them next time so they don't get in a hopefully Cowen will have to step down as party leader.

Ultimately this is about Cowen going to the races and as a lot of people have posted yes he is entitled to a day off. As for using the "Company car" most people with company cars are use them for "personal business", its a perk of their jobs (give it about ten seconds before that gets twisted), I work for a telecoms company and get cheaper call rates, does that mean I shouldn't use my phone on days off???
    As yes chances are he didn't drive himself there either, pretty much any head of state in any given company is required to have twenty four hour police protection and as such Cowen was driven there by such a person.

Gillo wrote: »
    As yes chances are he didn't drive himself there either, pretty much any head of state in any given company is required to have twenty four hour police protection and as such Cowen was driven there by such a person.

Ireland Plc - in administration?

He's probably the only CEO of a dodgy Irish plc who hasn't been turfed out at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Did you get any tips from him?

Advertisement