Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which two dogs get along better?

Options
  • 30-07-2009 9:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I have a 6 month old King Charles bitch and am getting a second dog. I want to know what would get along better. Two bitches or a dog and a bitch?
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I'd recommend a dog. If you get two bitches that don't get on it can result in some very very nasty scraps.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

I agree with Toulouse. We had a dog and were advised to get a bitch when we wanted a second puppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

I think it can depend on the dog itself. I got 2 Springer Spaniel bitches from the same litter and 4 years later I found a stray Jack Russell bitch - all 3 are best buddies, they are all spayed, so don't know if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

neighbour runs a kennel

generally have to keep bitches apart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ambrannigan

thanks guys, dog it is :)

• Advertisement

Are you getting another King Charles?
    Is it a puppy you're getting?

I am getting a 9 week Pugalier, had the choice of a male or female and went with the male thinking they would get along better. Only problem is my bitch being 6 months old will be in heat before the new dog will be spade and I dont want them mating which is why I was considering a second bitch . . .

Pugalier being a cross between a king charles and a pug :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You will just have to keep them apart and keep a close eye on them for the 3 weeks she is in season, how old is she now, 6 months is it? She might even come into season before your little fella knows what thats all about.
    A crate would be a very good idea as you will be able to separate them when you arent there.

I am getting a 9 week Pugalier, had the choice of a male or female and went with the male thinking they would get along better. Only problem is my bitch being 6 months old will be in heat before the new dog will be spade and I dont want them mating which is why I was considering a second bitch . . .

Our bitch just finished her first heat (8 months old). If your's get it at the same age the puppy will just be 4 months old - I think you should be safe enough, ie, I dont think the boy will be interested at that age (although I could be wrong)
    We had our boy home last Christmas and my mother in laws bitch was in heat. He didn't pass any notice of her and he was 7 months old at the time.
    Although maybe smaller breeds develop quicker?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

May I ask why your bitch isn't neutered? Are you planning on breeding? Just if you're not it would make things a lot easier if she was neutered- especially if you're getting a male. I have a bitch and a female pup, both get on great, both are neutered. Also if she goes into heat will she react well to a male pup?

star-pants wrote: »
    May I ask why your bitch isn't neutered?

Are you not better off waiting until the bitch has had one season before neutering?
    Thats what our vet advised us to do.

The bitch is only 6 months so a bit young to be spayed, yes you are best to wait until she has one season and then get her done a few weeks after until all swelling and bleeding goes down.

I think the reason they wait for the first season is so they know exactly when she is out of season because if they neuter too close to a season there is a higher risk with bleeding as the uterus will be preparing for the season.

Well that's debatable. I got my pup done at 5 ish months, no problems there. I asked are we supposed to wait a season, I was told not unless i particularly wanted to. Might be different with diff breeds but some ppl get their dogs neutered at 5 months onwards.

star-pants wrote: »
    Well that's debatable. I got my pup done at 5 ish months, no problems there. I asked are we supposed to wait a season, I was told not unless i particularly wanted to. Might be different with diff breeds but some ppl get their dogs neutered at 5 months onwards.

Had she had her first season?
    We discussed with the vet when to get our bitch done. The vet said it was usual to get them done after the first season, but it involved removing the ovaries and uterous. She said that recently there had been an increase in getting a bitch done prior to the first season and it wasn't such a big operation - ie (I think) only the ovaries were removed and not the uterus, so it wasn't so intense for the dog.
    When we asked her advice she said they would provide either, although she, herself, would wait until after the first season as she feels it lets the dog mature. So thats what we're doing. We will book her in shortly to get her done halfway between now and her next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tesslab

Just make sure ya wait 3 months after shes been in heat to have her spayed. I had my 6 month old lab bitch spayed 2 weeks ago. Vet had no prob doing it before she went into season. I live right beside a park so didnt want the hassle of 30 odd males howling outside the door. :eek:

Best of luck with the new puppy. Hope they'll be the best of friends.

Yes everyone has different ideas about what age is appropriate.

I brought her to the vet yeseterday who suggested now was the right time before she goes into heat as complications may occur with the surgery if they do it after she has gone into heat.

A friend had their bitch spayed at 6 months and she died due to complications during the surgery and they believe that she was just too young.

I certainly do not want to breed her but want to do which ever is the safest option?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tesslab

its a risk you take with the anesthetic. I can completely understand your concern. Have to say our lil one bounced back very quickly. Vet was very good and explained everything. Have had dogs that took bad reactions to the anesthetic before & it can be quite distressing.
    Just from my own experience I think 6 months is a good age. Am just glad mine's over it now. If you're unsure call around a few vets for their opinions. Will put your mind at ease if nothing else.;)

Thanks for all the helpful info guys. I have followed the 3 quote rule and each vet said 6 months and prior to 1st heat was the preferable and safe option. Fingers crossed all goes well and she bonds with her new pal :)

kildara wrote: »
    Had she had her first season?
    Nope we got the pup done before she would have hit her first season.
    Thanks for all the helpful info guys. I have followed the 3 quote rule and each vet said 6 months and prior to 1st heat was the preferable and safe option. Fingers crossed all goes well and she bonds with her new pal :)

Aye sorry I wasn't saying you *had* to get your pup done before she had her first season, the vets know best and I'm sure it varies between breeds too.
    I did a little reading up on it and seems it's a fairly split vote, some recommend before season, others after.
    Seems if they get it done before season it can increase their appetite which would explain why my pups always hungry lol bless her. But then again their breed are obsessed with food.

If you vet has advised you then go with that and I hope she gets on well & bonds with her new friend :)

• Advertisement

I have gotten 3 opinions and all vets suggested getting it done now . They said it can be complicated to get it done after the first heat. We are getting her done next week but I have already seen our 9 week pugalier trying to get jiggy with her so Im kind of worried that she is close to her first heat? Hopefully the vet can tell . . .

No, unless she actually goes into heat you cant tell until he opens her up, which wouldnt be a good idea if shes in heat then to spay her.

If you think she is close to heat then i would leave her and let her have her first heat.

If you are noticing your male taking more interest in her then it is quite possible she is coming in soon.

Advertisement