Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 1mb line, speeds up to 1.5mb?? and very high pings ... circa 1900ms

Options
  • 30-07-2009 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi folks,

Im looking for some help if possibe to see is anyone else has come across this ... Im living in Stamullen Co. Meath.

Eventually managed to get a broadband line in albeit a 1mb line. (Plan is to upgrade to 7.6 ..) The thing is my line is extremely jumpy as a speedtest.net to Dublin starts me at approx .5 mb and jumps all over the place .. sometimes as high as 1.5mb. Ping averages at 100ms and while doing a ping -t rte.ie or eircom.net and doing a speedtest its averages 1500 to 2000+ms. Also jumps to around 800ms while doing general surfing.

Here are the stats from the Netopia 2247 box ...
    Max speed 1024/128
    SN Margin 31.00/27.00
    Line Attenuation: 14.5/7.50
    CRC Error 0/0

ATM: VPI/VCI 8/35 (although this seems to be set in the router !!)

I guess my issues are mainly around the pings and extremely inconsistant download speeds. Upload speeds seem solid at .10 up (given is 128kbs that seems ok). Ive never heard of download speeds being higher than advertised ??

Im now on my second modem from Eircom and they also tell me that my line as it is is capable to support up to 10mb but from knowledge 7.6 is the hightest from my exchange (cabinet) at this time.

Any help or advise greatly accepted ... i dont want to get a 7.6 line for this mess :-(

Comments

Those line stats are excellent. The problem must lie elsewhere, contention in the exchange maybe? Are others in your area having similar problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

speedtests aren't very reliable I find. Try going to ftp.heanet.ie and open any of the folders until you get to a big file. Download it for a couple of minutes, and see what the speed is like at the end of that period.

How do you find surfing and browsing in general? Does it feel sluggish at times/all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 paddybudg

Hi, i have also tried to ftp from heanet. As i am getting close to my 1mb download speed my issue is that it is extremly jumpy. From heanet it is almost the 1mb which for me is great but pings average 1800 - 2100ms ?? during any download. Thats not very usable. I have been using VoIP on another ISP and planned when on the 7.6 package from Eircom that i could use that but with these pings and variable speed ... i dont see that working.

An irishisptest also confirms that although the download speeds can go to 1mb down the latence and jitter is well off the mark. I can only thing that its something in the exchange. Now to talk Eircom into checking that is the next hurdle ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

In practical usage, what do you notice that doesn't work well? Do pages sometimes stall to load, or they feel sluggish etc?

Is it possible to try with another pc/laptop, just to rule your current one out?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I wonder what your internal wiring is like? Is there anything that could be destabilising the signal?

Most people would give their right eyes to have a line with stats like that - you must be virtually in the exchange?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

paddybudg wrote: »
    Hi, i have also tried to ftp from heanet. As i am getting close to my 1mb download speed my issue is that it is extremly jumpy. From heanet it is almost the 1mb which for me is great but pings average 1800 - 2100ms ?? during any download. Thats not very usable. I have been using VoIP on another ISP and planned when on the 7.6 package from Eircom that i could use that but with these pings and variable speed ... i dont see that working.

An irishisptest also confirms that although the download speeds can go to 1mb down the latence and jitter is well off the mark. I can only thing that its something in the exchange. Now to talk Eircom into checking that is the next hurdle ;-)
    Are you using it wirelessly? If so, is it to a desktop or a laptop? Is it a wireless USB adapter? What make?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

paddybudg wrote: »

In fairness to Eircom I cant imagine what they could be checking for:confused:

It would be very difficult to actually get a line with better stats

thanks all for the comments/questions ..

Ive tried both using it wireless and with rj45 to a laptop and also with rj45 only to a desktop. In all cases the same result. Internal cabling is CAT6 around the house. Ive tried this at the spot upstairs in the house BUT have also tried at the master socket where Eircom is presented in the house and all the same results. I dont ever seem to drop pings purely spike or jump all over the place at different speeds depending on what im doing.

Sluggish responses but im putting that down to the varying ping times but im not sure. This seems to be consistant and not just at the evening or "peek" times. Nothing else is connected right now with the exception of a laptop via rj45 (wireless disabled!). The laptop is currently running XP SP3 and patched up to date (this week!) and no funky software really only avast AV and Itunes.

i dont do Peer2peer or anythinglike that. Really for downloading ISO (work) and VoIP along with ocassional gaming. With these pings VoIP and gaming is really out the window ... I dont think this has helped me any but hope it give a better view of where im at right now.

As im not with it at the moment Eircom had raised a case ref and will work with me tomorrow but with an online tech ... thus far after remoting into the box, Eircom cant see anything either. As you say the stats are good so ...

Should also say that i currently have a wireless provider also at the moment and while they work, they work well and ive never had these ping or spike issues. Would prefer to stay that way but problem is their speeds have been inconsistant with outages and changing to Eircom even if i can only get 2-4mb on a 7.6 package I had thought that at least pings and speeds would be resonablly consistant. Based on the fact i havent had ping or other such issues with the PC and Laptop with the wireless provider i dont think the fault is on my side but i totally stumped ...

Only i require reliability for work reasons, i would happily remain with the wireless provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The 1900ms is more like a Mobile Ping. Should be under 50ms to www.heanet.ie

Make sure the Default Gateway is IP of Modem/Router and other Network interfaces are disabled.

• Advertisement
Advertisement