Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband - what wireless router to use?

Options
  • 30-07-2009 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

hello,
    could someone recommend a wireless router to use with my NTL broadband modem?
    All the better if its something that maplin stock !

cheers
    db

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Get a wireless N gaming router with a couple of gigabit wired ports.......

How about this or this (the second one would be my preference)

You can get a reasonable wireless N router cheaply though like this

This is the wireless router that I use on NTL broadband myself here

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭DonnieBrasco

great thanks alot

db

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What exactly do you require the router for? There is no point in buying an 'n' router unless you have equipment with n wireless cards or intend going down that route.

You wont get the benefits of an N router with non N equipment.

Something like the linksys wrt54gl which is regularly recommended here might be a better value buy but it depens on your needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Also, if you have B or G and N clients transferring data it will reduce the throughput to B or G speeds (about 5mbps max with B and 24mbps max with G).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Also, if you have B or G and N clients transferring data it will reduce the throughput to B or G speeds (about 5mbps max with B and 24mbps max with G).

The latest hardware is capable of independently addressing different class devices on different frequencies (Linksys implemented this almost 2 years ago- and any of the Cisco subsidiaries certainly have this at this stage).

The reason I got an N device- despite it being significantly more expensive than the b/g devices- was more for the 4 gigabit wired ports (which your PS3, XBox and other devices will happily utilise to their full potential). I did in fact go back and retrospectively upgrade the multiple laptops and desktops here to 'N' to make use of the increased speed (we 'average' links of 300Mbps all over the house- which is fully usable with a 12MB connection- UPC- which the OP is on- have significantly faster packages as standard than do the traditional ADSL operators.

If you have the speed- which the OP probably does- it does not make sense for your router to be a bottleneck.......?

Most future devices are going to be 'N' now that the standard has finally been signed off on. By getting an 'N' class router- you are futuring proofing any future purchases........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ada4347

Hi i am thinking of getting a 3mb package on ntl an a linksys router would anybody think i should get that package?

Advertisement