Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Polo Gearbox

• 30-07-2009 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi.

I need to replace the existing gearbox on my 97 Polo and was wondering what the best way to go about it is? I cant afford to trade up to a new(er) car so my trusty Polo will hopefully get through this and we can live happily ever after.

I have to foot the cost of the gearbox alone as someone else has kindly agreed to pay the installation costs, so what I'm asking is whether I should look in a breakers/scrap yard or go directly through my mechanic and get him to get one for me (which I imagine will be more expensive)?

Any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Mountain_Surfer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Your best bet is probably a scrappie. You'll have to ensure that the gearbox is the same type and is suitable for your Polo. There should be a sticker in the spare wheel well which will show the gearbox code. A duplicate of the sticker should also be on the inside cover of your service book. Once you are happy that both gearboxes have the same code then you'll be OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Try giving Traynors a call. They're up the north but they deliver down south a few days a week. They should have a box there for your car, and they're fairly cheap. Their number is 04838891242

Advertisement