Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Nikon DSLRs & Lenses Announced

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Got a quote from Calumet in Belfast for a D300s body: Pre-Order deal, including 8GB CF Card & Spare En-EL3e battery = £1499 inc. VAT.

Stock not due in until end of August.

(Very tempted - I really like my D300, but I'd like the 720 HD video & SD Card options)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Got a quote from Calumet in Belfast for a D300s body: Pre-Order deal, including 8GB CF Card & Spare En-EL3e battery = £1499 inc. VAT.

Stock not due in until end of August.

(Very tempted - I really like my D300, but I'd like the 720 HD video & SD Card options)

Yes I'm interested too, now I just need to hire a digger & place it next to a bank !! :eek::D

It states it has DUAL CF & SD card slots, >> handy !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I personally am in no hurry to upgrade my D300 (maybe I'm growing up :eek:) but I'll be keeping an ear out for any FF shooters upgrading their 70-200 though!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

dakar wrote: »
    I personally am in no hurry to upgrade my D300 (maybe I'm growing up :eek:) but I'll be keeping an ear out for any FF shooters upgrading their 70-200 though!:)

I'll be doing the same. Want to see it the 2 on adverts bring their prices down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Yep...I'll hold on to my D300 for a little longer too.Don't need the HD feature as I've got a 1080p camcorder....but the dual card feature of the D300s is very,very handy:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

All Olympus DSLR's have always had a CF and xd slot and it's very very useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

duffarama wrote: »
    All Olympus DSLR's have always had a CF and xd slot and it's very very useful.

the d3 has two slots but both for CF cards. At weddings I use both slots with an 8gig card in each. I have it set to overflow so without me worrying about it the camera will have started to fill up the 2nd card at some point latter in the day.

Anyhow - just wondering if there's an advantage to supporting 2 card types that I can't think of? It seems like it would be a pain to me.

think about it even if you had two CF or sd ports it would be better than one

think about it even if you had two CF or sd ports it would be better than one

yes - having two slots for one media type is good, having two card slots for two media types is a useless PITA as far as I can tell. That's why I asked if there was a hidden benefit to having two different types of memory card.

My guess for Nikon the strategy is to make it easier for the consumer to upgrade. Not that memory is expensive compared to a €2000 camera...I dunno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

xD is an Olympus and Fuji designed card so that's why it is in every Olympus DSLR, otherwise they'd have been CF only. However, as you say memory is cheap, so keeping an xD card in there can help if you fill a card.

Plus you can pick up Olympus bodies from €299 new!

• Advertisement

eas wrote: »
    yes - having two slots for one media type is good, having two card slots for two media types is a useless PITA as far as I can tell. That's why I asked if there was a hidden benefit to having two different types of memory card.

My guess for Nikon the strategy is to make it easier for the consumer to upgrade. Not that memory is expensive compared to a €2000 camera...I dunno.

yeah good point about the relative memory price its buttons really but having two differnt types could only be good, your not stuck with one type if prices vary or advances in capacity are made faster in thhe other. Another one would be if you use a point and shoot too and it takes a different media then you can bring both cards if you need more memory for the slr. Ive an olympus too and have an xd card in a fuji point and shoot and the cf in the slr but this weekend Im only takin the slr and am gonna load it up with both memory cards! So handy if your p&s uses Sd or Xd and your slr can take those

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

has the sensor been upgraded on the d300? has it closed the noise gap between the 300-700 ay all, kinda tempted, may keep saving for 700 otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

It's still a DX sensor so the noise is always going to be noise than FX. In fact if it has a higher MP count it might be worse!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Arciphel wrote: »
    It's still a DX sensor so the noise is always going to be noise than FX. In fact if it has a higher MP count it might be worse!

stupid upgrade so

it's exactly the same sensor.

unless you have a need to HD vid, it's a boring (and expensive) upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Handy thing about having different media types in the 1D anyway,Would be to have small CF cards(just incase of corruption) and a big SD card backing up everything just to be safe :pac:

Then you've got two back up's of every image before you've even put them on the pc :D

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Handy thing about having different media types in the 1D anyway,Would be to have small CF cards(just incase of corruption) and a big SD card backing up everything just to be safe :pac:

Then you've got two back up's of every image before you've even put them on the pc :D

huh? Not sure I follow you Ricky

how do you end up with 2 back ups?

Like I said - d3 has 2 CF slots - you can set it up a number of ways depending on what you want the spare slot for. Being able to back up as you shoot has nothing to do with having separate media types. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

Advertisement