Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ideas generation.

• 30-07-2009 10:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

after watching that new RTE show, Higher Ground, i've got the urge to give something a go myself, what i haven't a clue!
    i worked in OZ while they were preparing for the Electronic ID animal tags, it was only a matter of time before they became mandatory here( i don't agree with them before someone jumps down my throat) what i'm saying is that it's possible to be ahead of the curve if you stay informed & travel.

so my question is where in your opinion is the best agricultural show in europe, i want to go and check out, whats coming down the line.
    whats your opinion on those agrictural entrepreneurs, will they succeed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭fastrac

Agritechnica in Hannover next November is your only man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭sparklepants

On the ideas thing:

I took my small children to a wildlife park a few weeks ago and was surprised to find that they got more enjoyment from a domestic cat who happened to stray across our path than they did from the exotic wild animals.

I think the potential for pet farms with child-friendly animals is underexploited. There's one or two around but they're poorly marketed. I envisage a place with tame animals; donkeys, chickens, geese, etc., a vegetable garden, examples of indigenous irish trees and hedges, a childrens playground, and perhaps even a simple tea room selling locally grown produce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭emaherx

jfh wrote: »
    i worked in OZ while they were preparing for the Electronic ID animal tags, it was only a matter of time before they became mandatory here( i don't agree with them before someone jumps down my throat)

whats wrong with electronic tagging? :confused:

It sure would make heard testing easier. Not to mention how useful they are in dairy heards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

thanks for your ideas fastrac and sparkelpants,sorry emaherz i did make a broad sweeping statement about EID, ya i can see the benefits in a modern Dairy herd, not sure if the benefits out way the cost for sheep though, the RFID readers will be too costly for anyone but marts, factories and v large farms.maybe i'm too sceptical, if the tags were under 50 cents, i might be convinced and read rate was 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭emaherx

jfh wrote: »
    thanks for your ideas fastrac and sparkelpants,sorry emaherz i did make a broad sweeping statement about EID, ya i can see the benefits in a modern Dairy herd, not sure if the benefits out way the cost for sheep though, the RFID readers will be too costly for anyone but marts, factories and v large farms.maybe i'm too sceptical, if the tags were under 50 cents, i might be convinced and read rate was 100%.

RFID readears are not that expensive these days, nor are the tags and read rates have greatly improved.
    I can see no problem with them being used to tag cattle.
    I think its a little scarry that passports and credit cards now have them and they can be read upto 30 foot away with the right equipment.

The US use foil lined passports so they can't be read unless open, but our ones are unshielded. Maby we will see paranoid cows with tin foil hats wandering around our fields.:D.

Sorry to go off topic there, I do agree with you to a point, knowing our Goverment they will probably use a non standered system which will cost a fortune to implement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭powerfarmer

I've had similar thoughts , looking out for something new and innovative to get into, have a few ideas but still looking at whats out there..

regarding the agri shows I was at SIMA in paris this year , there was loads of machinery and agri engineering products on show, some quite interesting.

There was another show on at the same time nearby (SIA) showcasing rural business and livestock but didnt get a chance to visit it as we ran out of time. SIMA and Agritechnica are on every two years , both on this year
    I was told that there are shows in italy which are good for products and ideas for smaller farms, instead of the monster sized kit at the main shows.

fastrac Agritechnica in Hannover next November is your only man

Fastrac, How have you travelled to agritechnica before? Would like to visit it but transport links to hanover seem a bit awkward? no direct flights from Ireland at the mo. (that I can find anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭fastrac

Go via London or Amsterdam.

Advertisement