Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Coins for Paper Money - Commission?

Options
  • 30-07-2009 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

Anybody know where the cheapest place outside of a bank to get rid of change. I have a few hundred euro in change and instead of bagging it; I just want to throw it into one of those machines that counts it and gives you a reciept of what you threw in minus their commission. You bring the recipt to the checkout and they give you cash.

I did it before in Supervalu but forget how much % they charge.
    The banks will only take full bags and I won't get in there while their open.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

sgthighway wrote: »
    Anybody know where the cheapest place outside of a bank to get rid of change. I have a few hundred euro in change and instead of bagging it; I just want to throw it into one of those machines that counts it and gives you a reciept of what you threw in minus their commission. You bring the recipt to the checkout and they give you cash.

I did it before in Supervalu but forget how much % they charge.
    The banks will only take full bags and I won't get in there while their open.

Thinks around 9 per cent interest if not more.....
    is it very small change or is it 1 or 2 euro coins??

got mine changed in Duggans in renmore no bother/ no charge either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I think I paid 9% the last time which is a bit nuts. I might just keep the 2s, 1s and 50c's.
    Imagine throwing in €300 and giving them €27 of it :eek:

sgthighway wrote: »
    I think I paid 9% the last time which is a bit nuts. I might just keep the 2s, 1s and 50c's.
    Imagine throwing in €300 and giving them €27 of it :eek:

Same problem myself just keep taking out all the larger coins
    and using them myself and have now ended up with one of those
    huge (empty)vodka bottles now full of 1 & 2 cent coins :mad:

i did it once in supervalu, never again :(

maybe get a bored boardsie to count for us eh :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Any shop will take it off you happily enough, they have to pay for change from the bank

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

You'd be surprised at how quickly you can count and bag money. I bagged €82 worth of coppers in 15 minutes last time. Definitely not worth the 9% on those machines.

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    You'd be surprised at how quickly you can count and bag money. I bagged €82 worth of coppers in 15 minutes last time. Definitely not worth the 9% on those machines.

9 .8% actually :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

All you need to count lots of coins very fast is have them in piles of like coins, money bags and a scale and quick bit of maths using this.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

I changed it in Super Valu the other day and the commission was 12.5 %. Couldnt be bothered counting it myself. Took all the big coins out first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I bag mine (bags free in the bank) and bring it to my local pub, who are always happy to take it (except 2c & 1c coins; local shop for them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i pile up my change until it's ready to bag and when i need to i'll chuck it into the bank. if you start off separating your change it'll be easy and take no time at all.

• Advertisement

Am I the only one who uses my coins as I go along? I have 1 * €1 and 1 * €0.20 in my pocket and 1* €0.01 on my desk at home and that is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Am I the only one who uses my coins as I go along? I have 1 * €1 and 1 * €0.20 in my pocket and 1* €0.01 on my desk at home and that is it.

If I'm out and about then ya I'll use it. But once I get home everything bar one and two euro coins go into the collection. Its amazing how much you will save up over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If you shop in Tesco the self service tills are a great way to get rid of all your change, I dont bother gathering it up anymore, I just empty out my pockets whenever Im in there and it doesnt build up.

This guy who used to live in our house moved out, he was a bit of a scumbag and we were glad he was gone, I looked in his drawers and the were packed with coppers and other change, poured it all into a kids sand castle bucket and brought it over to the machine in Supervalue, got €26 for my trouble and I didnt have to touch it, the cnut had probably stolen twice that much in milk and beer from me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Emptied a big bag of change I had there lately and found €110 worth of coin in it. Which was nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

minxie wrote: »
    9 .8% actually :mad:
    CRenegade wrote: »
    I changed it in Super Valu the other day and the commission was 12.5 %. Couldnt be bothered counting it myself. Took all the big coins out first though.

9.5% in Nestors Supervalu, used it yesterday.

It's a very basic receipt they print out - would be much much easier to forge than cash notes!! :) They don't even scan it or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Someone gave me E-15 in coppers recently.

Have been using it up slowly: bus drivers cope with 20c in 5's, or 10c in 2's or 1's quite happily (except when it's mega-busy, that'd just be rude). Supermarkets ditto. Hadn't thought about the Tesco self-service, it's a good one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I use my small change on the bus, as JustMary says. Although if you don't use the bus I can see how it'd accumulate.

The Tesco self service thing is a great tip.

In any case I'm quite used to counting out change, it doesn't phase me at all. I had something similar to this in Canada at work and it was brilliant - especially since we dealt with probably 3000 dollars worth of change a week.

Advertisement