Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRC20060 Plato's The Republic

Options
  • 30-07-2009 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

Has anybody here done Professor Andrew Smith's course GRC20060 on Plato's Republic? How did you find it?

Does the entire 'The Republic' need to be read or is it based just on passages?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

It was a good course. Professor Smith really does have a passion for teaching Plato's Republic. I'd suggest going to as many of the lectures as you can as they are helpful and the tutorials are really useful when it comes to what's expected of you in the exam and also to help disect and understand the book.

No you can get away with reading certain chapters. You'd be better off reading the whole book but the exam gives you a lot of choice so you can get away with reading about half of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I have done Greek and Roman Civilisation and avoided all philosophy based courses like the plague. The reason being, personally I hate philosophy. I have not done this particular course. If you like philosophy do it, Prof Smith is a very nice guy and great lecturer. If you do philosophy as a major/minor do this, you will enjoy it if philosophy is your cup of tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭macy9

I did it and really enjoyed it.

Prof Smith is hands down one of the nicest people teaching there!

His lectures were always packed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Souless wrote: »
    It was a good course. Professor Smith really does have a passion for teaching Plato's Republic. I'd suggest going to as many of the lectures as you can as they are helpful and the tutorials are really useful when it comes to what's expected of you in the exam and also to help disect and understand the book.

No you can get away with reading certain chapters. You'd be better off reading the whole book but the exam gives you a lot of choice so you can get away with reading about half of it.

I'd pretty much echo this.I hate philosophy but the Republic is different and the book is actually worth reading. It's nowhere near as abstract as most philosophy I did there. The tutorials will get you through easily and you only have 1 lecture a week

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

Thanks for the replies, looking forward to this module now! I've had Professor Smith before and he was great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement