Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jointing hydrodere - plastic or brass?

Options
  • 30-07-2009 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

I'm joining up the piping (1/2" heavy gauge) outside the house for the water supply at the moment before putting down the paths & a few questions arise -

Is it better to use plastic joints (T-joints & straight joints)or the metal ones?

Can they be buried in the path or is this a bad idea - should they be left outside the paths under broken stone (frost, etc)?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

It does not matter weather you use plastic or brass once they are suitable they both work fine. The plastic is new generation traditionaly plumbers used brass.

1/2" hydrodare heavy gauge uses a 3/4" fitting in brass.
    with lite gauge hydrodare you need inserts I forget the name of the fcekers but providers know what they are called. With the plastic generation of fittings they come with the inserts. you get rid of them on heavy gauge

The trick with all underground stuff is to get it down as deep as 6 inches if possible this keeps it away from the frost. Although that being said there is an exposed hydrodare line in my estate 3 years and its fine.

As far as I can remember but perhaps a plumber looking in can confirm, If you use brass fittings you should cover them with a sleeve to protect them from corrosion. Some plumbers use denso tape.(which is extreamly dirty) but i have seen many a line without the fitting being covered.

PS if you decide on the plastic generation make sure you tell the plumbers providers your burying them. Ordinary plastic fittings like qualpex fittings are not suitable for this application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Stratocaster

40701085 wrote: »
    I'm joining up the piping (1/2" heavy gauge) outside the house for the water supply at the moment before putting down the paths & a few questions arise -

Is it better to use plastic joints (T-joints & straight joints)or the metal ones?

Can they be buried in the path or is this a bad idea - should they be left outside the paths under broken stone (frost, etc)?

Cheers

Brass compression fittings on mains water, especially if its going to be covered with concrete. Insulate the pipe to prevent the concrete from cracking, should be min 300mm below ground to protect from frost, sometimes its not possible so insulate if you cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Heavy gauge pipe is very unlikely to frezze so insulation is not needed. Philmac plastic hydro pipe fittings are easy to work with, weather proof and can be buried. if you use brass fittings , cover and protect as suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Heavy gauge pipe is very unlikely to frezze so insulation is not needed. Philmac plastic hydro pipe fittings are easy to work with, weather proof and can be buried. if you use brass fittings , cover and protect as suggested.

+1 Philmac fitting a great fitting.

Advertisement