Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new ceiling light working but killing others!

• 30-07-2009 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I changed a light fitting in my ceiling recently and while it's working fine, it's stopped the lights in three other rooms working. I had a normal hanging light bulb fixture first which had two blue neutral wires going into one terminal, and a single brown going into the live. On the new light fixture it has two inputs for each of neutral, live and earth - it's a plastic box with the six input holes and 3 plastic snap down tabs that lock the wires in to place. For neatness and getting the best grip on the wires I put a single neutral into each of the two neutral terminals and while the light works fine, it's killed off the light switches in a bedroom and bathroom. Naturally I thought that neutral is neutral and it shouldn't make much difference but I'm going to change the wiring so that both neutrals go into a single terminal instead and see if that behaves. Is this type of thing common enough? Are there other things that it could be?

Cheers!

John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

check to see if the neutrels are common to each other. you proabably have an open circuit going to the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You need to put the 2 neutrals together as they were on the original light, Its a bugger but thats your problem.

Oh and dont worry we all try that thats how we know.

PS i am no electrician I just reconise the fault from doing the same thing. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

That's super - cheers for the confirmation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

Joey you're a star - that worked perfectly, back to normal! (also turns out one of the neutrals had come loose as the unit was mounted back up!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

joconnell wrote: »
    Joey you're a star - that worked perfectly, back to normal! (also turns out one of the neutrals had come loose as the unit was mounted back up!)

Welcome to the world of DIY. Like I say I am not a sparks so always be careful. I know is a bugger to get 2 pces of copper in such a small hole!

or as the electrician that was showing me my mistake said! I wish my moth was this small! Cant figure what he ment though! Curious! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement