Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Garda Helicopter is keeping us awake every night !!

• 30-07-2009 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I live in Tallaght (I know its a high crime area). I haven't got a good nights sleep since last week because of the late night hovering of the copper chopper every night. I've spoken to neighbours about this and its affecting them the same.
    I rang the local Garda station to complain and basically got laughed at. Every time I hear the drone of the heli now, I get irritated and annoyed. I wish I had an R.P.G....

:)

Should the Garda air support be allowed to fly through the night? 221 votes

Yes, crime never sleeps
    0% 0 votes
    No, law abiding citizens can't sleep
    86% 191 votes
    Its becoming 'Orwells 1984' round here
    13% 30 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

GTFO of tallaght then,problem solved:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Get ear plugs?

At least you won't have burglars in the middle of the night with your own bodyguard above you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

JOOooooeeeEE Duuffffeeeyyy - talk to joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I live in Tallaght. My girlfriend and I haven't got a good nights sleep since last week because of the late night hovering of the copper chopper every night. I've spoken to neighbours about this and its affecting them the same.
    I rang the local Garda station to complain and basically got laughed at. Every time I hear the drone of the heli now, I get irritated and annoyed. I wish I had an R.P.G....

You can bet a pound to a pinch of sh*t the chopper pilot wishes he had an RPG everytime he flew out over Tallaght too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

That's Tallaght for you..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Wouldn't be the first time that a big chopper has kept people awake all night.:eek:

I knew this thread would just turn into a slagging of Tallaght. I already know its full of criminals and scumbags.

Well the Garda are there just taking out the trash <insert Dirty Harry accent>.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

always amazes me what wakes people. close your windows, close your eyes, and fall asleep. soem people bitch about the slighest bit of noise. are you stressed at work, stressed abotu anything. nore than likly thats why your not sleeping..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I live in Tallaght. My girlfriend and I haven't got a good nights sleep since last week because of the late night hovering of the copper chopper every night.

Two questions -
    Do yez draw the curtains?
    Is yer other half good lookin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

ted1 wrote: »
    always amazes me what wakes people. close your windows, close your eyes, and fall asleep. soem people bitch about the slighest bit of noise. are you stressed at work, stressed abotu anything. nore than likly thats why your not sleeping..

You're seriously surprised that a helicopter overhead wakes people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Hats off to the gardai, having helicopters just shows how advanced they've become. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Wouldn't be the first time that a big chopper has kept people awake all night.:eek:
    Im trying to get the innuendo here but I cant say its ever been called a chopper...........

Oh wait.Helicopter.Ahhhh I get it now.And if wrong i still get it in my own way :D

NEWS FLASH- earth quake hits Tallaght

A major earthquake measuring 5.8 on the Richter scale has hit Tallaght in the early hours of Tuesday 6th January 2004.

Epicentre: The Square Shopping Centre.

Victims were seen wandering around aimlessly uttering "...bleedin
    story?","aaaaawrigh' bud" and "fUUUcksake". The earthquake decimated the area causing approximately €30 worth of
    damage.

Several priceless collections of mementos from Crete and Santa Ponza were damaged beyond repair. Three areas of historic burnt out cars were disturbed. Many locals were woken well before their welfare cheque arrived. The Tallaght News reported that hundreds of residents were confused and bewildered, still trying to come to terms with the fact that the damage had not been caused by illegal means.

One resident - Alexis Crystal Duffy, a 15-year-old mother of 5 said "Ih was such a ****in' shock, me little wan Chardonnay Mercedes cem runnin' into me bedruem cryin'. Me youngisst two: Tyler-Morgan n Megan-Brooklyn slept tru ih all. Buh I was still shakin' when I was watchin' ****in'Rikki Lake leh-er in the ****in'
    mornin"

Apparently though, looting, muggings and incidental crime did carry on as usual.

The Irish Red Cross has so far managed to ship 4,000 crates of
    Strongbow, Dutch Gold, frozen pizza and John Player Blue to the area to help the stricken locals.

Rescue workers are still searching through the rubble and have found large quantities of personal belongings, which include welfare books,jewellery including thousands of sovereign rings, many large medallions and Hash leaf ear rings from Elizabeth Duke at Argos and fine Bone China from Tommy's Wonderland of
    Value.

HOW CAN YOU HELP
    This appeal is to raise money for food and clothing, parcels for those unfortunate to be caught up in this disaster.

Clothing is most sought after, items most needed include:

* Fila or Kappa baseball caps,
    * Hoodies (any type)
    * Tommy Hilfiger tracksuits (his and hers)
    * Nike/Adidas Shell suits (female)
    * White sport socks Rockport boots and any other items usually sold in TK Maxx.
    * Anything from Magic or Unique Boutique.

Food parcels may be harder to come by, as refrigeration may be a
    problem, but are needed all the same. Required foodstuffs include:

* McCains oven chips
    * Heinz baked beans
    * Goodfellas Frozen Pizza
    * Coke/Fanta
    * Strongbow Cider
    * Smirnoff Ice.
    * John Player Blue 15's. (unmarried mother handy pack)

And remember that your contribution counts!
    Just 22c buys a biro for filling in the compensation forms and bookie slips.
    Just €5.00 buys chips, crisps and blue fizzy drinks for a family of 9.
    Only €6.00 will pay for a packet of 20 Major to calm the nerves of those affected.

Note: Please do not send tents for shelter, as the sight of such plush accommodation is unfair on the population of the local halting sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I have to agree with the OP that it's annoying. I don't live in Tallaght but live in Stoneybatter. The chopper flies over there quite often late at night and it is rather annoying. Sure you can close your window (it is closed anyway) but it's a loud rasping sound that is hard to ignore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I live in Tallaght and sleep fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I live in Tallaght.

There's yer problem

• Registered Users Posts: 49 irlande_euroluv

True true

I sued to live near to Tesco in Ballybrack and the chopper used to be over the estates (Ashlawn & Cooleven) on a regular basis at night. They followed one of my friends with the spotlight from his house to Tesco once:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I sued to live near to Tesco in Ballybrack and the chopper used to be over the estates (Ashlawn & Cooleven) on a regular basis at night. They followed one of my friends with the spotlight from his house to Tesco once:)

I hope he zigzagged and covered his face. It makes the gardai feel like they're being useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I have to agree with the OP that it's annoying. I don't live in Tallaght but live in Stoneybatter. The chopper flies over there quite often late at night and it is rather annoying. Sure you can close your window (it is closed anyway) but it's a loud rasping sound that is hard to ignore.

I live in Stoneybatter and have never been kept awake by any choppers. IN fact I don't remember ever even hearing it and I normally sleep with the window open.

• Advertisement

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I hope he zigzagged and covered his face. It makes the gardai feel like they're being useful.

I think he stood there looking at them for a while to see what they'd do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I live in Stoneybatter and have never been kept awake by any choppers. IN fact I don't remember ever even hearing it and I normally sleep with the window open.

I'll let you know the next time it's buzzing about. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'll let you know the next time it's buzzing about. :pac:

Oh errr matron! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I live in Tallaght and sleep fine.

...probably because you didn't answer the phone and agree to 'mind dem fukken bags' for Skango and Anto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

:pac:-words

2001 wants it's jokes back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

i live in clondalkin (the nice part) down the road from tallaght

this is hilarious cos i can see the heli but i cant hear it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Live in the IFSC and get it the whole time as well courtesy of the Sheriff street crowd!

It is fuckin annoying, and why should I have to close my window (can never sleep without fresh air). Even when closed it can still be heard.

I wouldn't mind if it was the odd time or being used for serious crime, but what really kills me is the knowledge that the majority of the time, that helicopter is being used against the same criminals who will only be up to the same $hit again a week later.

I say fit the helicopter with some guns/rockets. If the the crime is bad enough to wake me and a whole load of other law-abiding people, then the crime is bad enough to warrant the use of firearms. At least this way, I'll be able to go back to sleep knowing that the same fucker won't wake me again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Im trying to get the innuendo here but I cant say its ever been called a chopper...........

Oh wait.Helicopter.Ahhhh I get it now.And if wrong i still get it in my own way :D

Well, it was a multiple choice post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭ascend

ah the good ole garda chopper, did ye know the thing has a bloody siren??? Its actually priceless when they turn it on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

You can bet a pound to a pinch of sh*t the chopper pilot wishes he had an RPG everytime he flew out over Tallaght too.

I wish I could RPG that bloody pointless second full stop at the bottom of every one of your posts. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Messed Up Mind

I live in Tallaght too and can hear the helicopter sometimes. Thankfully I don't live near Jobstown or Fettercairn so I don't hear it that often. I suggest that you become some sort of Batman or Dexter (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0773262/) figure and take out the bad guys yourself. After a few months, you'll have emptied half of the population of Tallaght leaving only the good guys and will get a good night's sleep. Sorted.

PS Yore ma keeps me awake every night (was gonna add something else but remembered I wasn't on B3TA)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭jum4

R.P.G....

one of those cheap laser pointers will do the trick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Well Joe, as much as I agree with a panoptical criminal surveillance presence in low-income areas......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

It can be annoying, but it's generally only for about ten minutes or so. I can see why they laughed at you when you rang to complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

ascend wrote: »
    ah the good ole garda chopper, did ye know the thing has a bloody siren??? Its actually priceless when they turn it on
    :rolleyes::D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

Is there only one chopper? because there's one that's been spending a lot of time in the Inchicore/Drimnagh/Crumlin area recently - had the windows rattling at one stage thanks to the Crumlin v. Drimnagh gang war shenanigans...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭ascend

As far as i know there are 2 garda helicopters, the squirrel and the eurocopter. I know this because squirrel spent a lot of time in overhead in limerick!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

brummytom wrote: »
    That's Tallaght for you..

Says the brummie.......:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Yeah, better the chopper wasn't there and you were just kept awake by regular old knackers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭max 73

thanks to the gardai, he didn't become a statistic in crime report!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

bigkev49 wrote: »
    I wish I could RPG that bloody pointless second full stop at the bottom of every one of your posts. :p

There is a point to it actually, it makes it easier to read posts, especially on forums where people have big flashing images in their sigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I live in Tallaght (I know its a high crime area). I haven't got a good nights sleep since last week because of the late night hovering of the copper chopper every night. I've spoken to neighbours about this and its affecting them the same.

the **** attitude of gardai yet again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

An RPG? Wouldn't be surprised if Tallaght started using flying explosives now. :P

How high are the choppers flying? If they're very low then they're probably breaking some laws, there's a limit on how high one can fly, unless the Garda are an exception.
    The choppers are needed though, but I'm sure they don't have to be "on patrol". There's cars and legs for that. Awful waste of resources and fuel having a chopper flying around "on patrol".

jumpguy wrote: »
    An RPG? Wouldn't be surprised if Tallaght started using flying explosives now. :P

How high are the choppers flying? If they're very low then they're probably breaking some laws, there's a limit on how high one can fly, unless the Garda are an exception.

I'm sure the gardai have an exemption and would at time need to fly quite low to track people etc.

It has nothing on the noise generated by the coastguard chopper though, that one noisy beast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 tommyfitz

Maybe its Minister Cullen on his way home to his appartment after a night out on the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I wish I had an R.P.G....

Like to see those Garda helicopters flying on Halloween, when practically every kid in Dublin has an RPG in the form of fireworks.

There is a point to it actually, it makes it easier to read posts, especially on forums where people have big flashing images in their sigs.

Or you could report them since they aren't allowed anyway?

SIGPO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭donkey balls

1000ft above mean sea level(amsl) 1000 ft above object clearance thats for civilan acft.
    as for the noise just get on with it i live directly under the main flight path for Dub airport so hear every thing from little turbo props to large jets taken off/landing every couple of mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I am afraid it is the price you pay ... I don't have a problem with it, if it helps stop crime, I am all for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

I live in clondalkin just beside where the helicopter is based in baldonnel aerodrome,it usuallys fly's over 7 or 8 times during ther night and never affects our sleep,you get used to it after a while.

No point ringing the local Garda station as they have no say about anything regarding the chopper (bar calling it for assistance) as it's operated by the air corps,try complaining to the air corps or give Garda hq a call and complain to them.
    If all else fails contact your local T.D.

• Advertisement
Advertisement