Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Garda Helicopter is keeping us awake every night !!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Neonlight

Dont get me started i live in finglas for me sins, its like close encounters of the third world kind!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I'm going to suggest a nice tall glass of deal with it.

Trying blaming the scumbags for bringing the Gardi out in the copter in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Arktos.as.l

Used to live next to Sarsfield barracks where the Limerick branch's helicopter was stationed. Helicopters were constantly coming and going. Didn't mind the garda one so much because it was probably being put to good use but whenever I saw its air corp counterpart I always had a suspicion it was just generalissimo O'Dea on his way down from Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

I always suspected there was a high proportion of North Siders on boards, most of whom it seems from this thread haven't crossed a mile over the liffey since Tallaght developed in the passed few years.;)

Anyhow everyone thinks they are actually chasing crime or assumes that they are looking for someone or at something when in the helicopter.

I doubt this is always the case.

Having a cigarette out my back garden late one evening a few years back the 'copter cops went by quite low, circled, and then came back to laugh at me - I assumed it was because I was in my pj's.
    That's how low they were. I couldn't believe it.
    Busy guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

I'm in Tallaght too and two nights in a row it's been hovering over my house this week. Then I'd call my boyfriend, who lives in another part of Tallaght and he'd report it arriving over his. What can they do up there? Shine lights on suspicious looking people??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Could be worse:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I'm going to invest in one of those huge industrial spotlights and take down da choppa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hell Toupee

Can they not put it on silent mode like they do in Airwolf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

I live in Tallaght too and can hear the helicopter sometimes. Thankfully I don't live near Jobstown or Fettercairn so I don't hear it that often. I suggest that you become some sort of Batman or Dexter (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0773262/) figure and take out the bad guys yourself. After a few months, you'll have emptied half of the population of Tallaght leaving only the good guys and will get a good night's sleep. Sorted.

PS Yore ma keeps me awake every night (was gonna add something else but remembered I wasn't on B3TA)

It doesn't keep to those two housing estates, it goes over all of Tallaght. Tallaght gets picked on by the rest of Dublin, and Jobstown gets picked on by the rest of Tallaght. It never ends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 room18

I recall that the Gardai were training (when they first started using the chopper) over Leixlip and Celbridge at like 3/4am. It was extremely noisey at the time. They would train on weekdays when everyone would be working the next day. All they did was hover over and turn on the spot light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I live in Tallaght (I know its a high crime area). I haven't got a good nights sleep since last week because of the late night hovering of the copper chopper every night. I've spoken to neighbours about this and its affecting them the same.
    I rang the local Garda station to complain and basically got laughed at. Every time I hear the drone of the heli now, I get irritated and annoyed. I wish I had an R.P.G....

:)

Funny that I live in Louth but work in Tallaght and my partner lives there. I have always described the difference as follows: when I'm locking my bike up at night at home I can hear the noise of the sea, [beach is not a few mins away] but when I'm staying over with my herself, the gentle lappimg of the waves is replaced by the noise of the Garda chopper.

I do believe that alot of the time there is no need for it to be flying so low, but it never keeps me awake at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 handzy

im in finglas and every night its above us.. we are moving soon and its definitly something i wont miss...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Isn't that what rocket launchers were invented for,

mechanical fly swatters....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Neonlight

handzy

Adverts | Friends im in finglas and every night its above us.. we are moving soon and its definitly something i wont miss...

your not moving to tallaght by any chance:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I have to agree with the OP that it's annoying. I don't live in Tallaght but live in Stoneybatter.

Living in Stoneybatter myself and occasionally hear the chopper doesnt effect my sleeping tho. Suppose there just doing there jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

You'll get used to the noise. I live right beside the helicopter landing bit of a hospital and the noise used to always wake me up but I sleep right through it now. Granted it took me around 14 years til I was able to sleep through it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

For some reason that damn helicopter always flies and hovers over my house!:confused: It dosen't really keep me from losing sleep because im always awake. But it annoys me that it just lurks over my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

For some reason that damn helicopter always flies and hovers over my house!:confused: It dosen't really keep me from losing sleep because im always awake. But it annoys me that it just lurks over my house.

Maybe you should stop growing all that weed in your back garden then. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Am I the only person who's noticing that the OP REALLY likes this thread?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Nope, but I sure hope I get thanks for this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I live in The Liberties and it's overhead every night but aw well we've got to live with it as our city is full of so much scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

I don't trust their infrared cameras. They have an uncanny ability to stop over my house when I am fapping :eek:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

When the helicoptor goes to sleep you jump up and down in the hanger next door screaming na na na na na and bang on the wall. See if he likes to be kept awake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭blue movie

Yes it can be annoying and tough to sleep with but i remember before the helicopter was in use and the noise of joyriders screeching tyres and squad cars chasing them was worse... Honestly its seems to me that in my area (crumlin) it really has helped cut down the amount of joyriding in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

room18 wrote: »
    I recall that the Gardai were training (when they first started using the chopper) over Leixlip and Celbridge at like 3/4am. It was extremely noisey at the time. They would train on weekdays when everyone would be working the next day. All they did was hover over and turn on the spot light.

Yeah my grandparents live in Leixlip and there was loadsa complaints about that.. think it even made front page of the Liffey Champion!:D

I live in Lucan and it can keep me awake from time to time.. maybe one night every couple of months.. it hovers really low! The 15th and 16th of June this year were particularly bad.. I remember cos I had Leaving Cert Economics on the 17th so I found it really hard to get any cramming done or sleep with the noise of it!!:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Maybe you should stop growing all that weed in your back garden then. ;)

Awh! You said you wouldn't tell! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I live in Stoneybatter and have never been kept awake by any choppers. IN fact I don't remember ever even hearing it and I normally sleep with the window open.

It's just been buzzing about a few minutes ago. I can still hear it in the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

brummytom wrote: »
    That's Tallaght for you..
    Wait how would you know??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

The Garda have a plane and 2 helicopters:

http://www.military.ie/aircorps/fleet/defender/images/islander2.jpg
    http://www.military.ie/aircorps/fleet/ec135t2/images/ec135t2.jpg
    http://www.military.ie/aircorps/fleet/squirrel/images/squirrel1.jpg

It's amazing that at least one of the 3 nationwide garda air support units is provided to cover Tallaght at all times!!

I'd say move OP, go somewhere nice and quite like Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Jackeen wimps. For many years, the people of South Armagh had flying machines 4 times the size, flying three together, at one fifth of the height, and people firing great mortars at them. We slept through it all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Randy_Bobandy

I can't believe people wouldn't even care about letting them fly around at night, let alone vote for it in a poll. In reality it's not like we would ever be given a choice, they'll do what they want to do anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ste88m

NEWS FLASH- earth quake hits Tallaght

A major earthquake measuring 5.8 on the Richter scale has hit Tallaght in the early hours of Tuesday 6th January 2004.

Epicentre: The Square Shopping Centre.

Victims were seen wandering around aimlessly uttering "...bleedin
    story?","aaaaawrigh' bud" and "fUUUcksake". The earthquake decimated the area causing approximately €30 worth of damage
    improvements.

Several priceless collections of mementos from Crete and Santa Ponza were damaged beyond repair. Three areas of historic burnt out cars were disturbed. Many locals were woken well before their welfare cheque arrived. The Tallaght News reported that hundreds of residents were confused and bewildered, still trying to come to terms with the fact that the damage had not been caused by illegal means.

One resident - Alexis Crystal Duffy, a 15-year-old mother of 5 said "Ih was such a ****in' shock, me little wan Chardonnay Mercedes cem runnin' into me bedruem cryin'. Me youngisst two: Tyler-Morgan n Megan-Brooklyn slept tru ih all. Buh I was still shakin' when I was watchin' ****in'Rikki Lake leh-er in the ****in'
    mornin"

Apparently though, looting, muggings and incidental crime did carry on as usual.

The Irish Red Cross has so far managed to ship 4,000 crates of
    Strongbow, Dutch Gold, frozen pizza and John Player Blue to the area to help the stricken locals.

Rescue workers are still searching through the rubble and have found large quantities of personal belongings, which include welfare books,jewellery including thousands of sovereign rings, many large medallions and Hash leaf ear rings from Elizabeth Duke at Argos and fine Bone China from Tommy's Wonderland of
    Value.

HOW CAN YOU HELP
    This appeal is to raise money for food and clothing, parcels for those unfortunate to be caught up in this disaster.

Clothing is most sought after, items most needed include:

* Fila or Kappa baseball caps,
    * Hoodies (any type)
    * Tommy Hilfiger tracksuits (his and hers)
    * Nike/Adidas Shell suits (female)
    * White sport socks Rockport boots and any other items usually sold in TK Maxx.
    * Anything from Magic or Unique Boutique.

Food parcels may be harder to come by, as refrigeration may be a
    problem, but are needed all the same. Required foodstuffs include:

* McCains oven chips
    * Heinz baked beans
    * Goodfellas Frozen Pizza
    * Coke/Fanta
    * Strongbow Cider
    * Smirnoff Ice.
    * John Player Blue 15's. (unmarried mother handy pack)

And remember that your contribution counts!
    Just 22c buys a biro for filling in the compensation forms and bookie slips.
    Just €5.00 buys chips, crisps and blue fizzy drinks for a family of 9.
    Only €6.00 will pay for a packet of 20 Major to calm the nerves of those affected.

Note: Please do not send tents for shelter, as the sight of such plush accommodation is unfair on the population of the local halting sites.

Just tought I'd edit that slightly for you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ste88m

[Jackass] wrote: »
    The Garda have a plane and 2 helicopters:

http://www.military.ie/aircorps/fleet/defender/images/islander2.jpg
    http://www.military.ie/aircorps/fleet/ec135t2/images/ec135t2.jpg
    http://www.military.ie/aircorps/fleet/squirrel/images/squirrel1.jpg

It's amazing that at least one of the 3 nationwide garda air support units is provided to cover Tallaght at all times!!

I'd say move OP, go somewhere nice and quite like Limerick.

They got rid of the Squirrel two years ago and replaced it with another Eurocopter EC135.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 baldub

i live in baldonnell just right beside the launch pad and i find it grand not a bother,if the garda had'nt got a chopper everybody would be giveing out ya just cant win these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

People don't worry. Come january next year the recession will be so bad the Gards be using hand gliders. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Eh, I get it sometimes living beside St annes park (get the odd joyriders dumping cars in there) but what's worse is them coastguard **** flying about 20ft above my gaff everytime some fisherman decides to do cannonballs off the boat at 3 in the morning. Those seaking helicopters are a lot ****in louder than the gards. Live about 3-4 minutes away from Bull Island so you always get them going over it at night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭Sungodbr

in lucan here the copper chopper is hunting the smelly clondalkin joy riding slags as i type, some noise off them, swear i was living in a wind tunnel here, but sure the empty fields around here are like scrap yards with burnt out formerly joyridden cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

in lucan here the copper chopper is hunting the smelly clondalkin joy riding slags as i type, some noise off them, swear i was living in a wind tunnel here, but sure the empty fields around here are like scrap yards with burnt out formerly joyridden cars

The cops start using there super missiles yet?? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭Sungodbr

Few patriot missiles maybe they bought for 10 mill a piece to neutralize the j-riders and felt was money well spent, as would i being honest, Copper Chopper gone now must have ran out of fuel, sleep time.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement