Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop repair

Options
  • 30-07-2009 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭

Anyone know a good laptop repair place in Cork? Preferably in the Douglas area if possible.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

What is wrong with your laptop? Most solutions can be found online.

Is it running slow? Won't turn on? etc....give us a bit more info and we may be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

It'll turn on alright but it sounds like the fan is dying (audio clip). I'd replace it myself but from looking at the Maintenance and Service Guide it's saying I'd practically have to completely disassemble the whole bloody thing to get to the fan and to be honest I'm just not that comfortable with laptop hardware even if I do have the step by step instructions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

there is a place in the village near the bike shop, (the road with the credit union) there is a sign in the window im not exactly sure which house/shop it is...i hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

There's one on the on the west side of the village by the Credit Union, I didn't find them great though, never had any trouble with the Cork Computer Clinic down by the college of commerce.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

John, honestly if you can get the part you're as well off doing it yourself. If it's a fan it should just clip into place, so you'd be daft to give money to a shop to do it. Sounds like it should be about a five or ten minute job at best, unless it's some ancient beast that takes hours to dismantle...
    razorblunt wrote: »
    There's one on the on the west side of the village by the Credit Union, I didn't find them great though, never had any trouble with the Cork Computer Clinic down by the college of commerce.

The one time I was advised to try them out, they tried to charge me something like €380 for a DVD/CDRW drive, when I got an equivalent model for €120 in Soundstore (so it's not like I spent ages hunting down bargains or anything), on top of wanting another €80 to fit it (which is a five-minute job). I've no idea if this is representative of their service or one very bad lapse in standards, but I couldn't recommend them in good conscience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I'd try it myself too. I'm currently changing the inverter in my laptop since backlight gone. Easy out to take out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Webmonkey wrote: »
    I'd try it myself too. I'm currently changing the inverter in my laptop since backlight gone. Easy out to take out.

Do you have to take the actual screen apart for that, or just the base?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

True it's only the screen alright. Still though, base should be easy take apart too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

it aint that easy and it will take alot more than ten minutes

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

duckysauce wrote: »
    it aint that easy and it will take alot more than ten minutes

Based on...?

I've done it before and if you've got a service guide handy (or even just a screwdriver and a digital camera to take pictures with and keep track of what order you took things out in), it's not that hard unless we're talking really old machines. Shouldn't take much longer than 10 minutes unless there's something very strange about the machine in question or it's just not user-replaceable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

the last time I went after the fan in an acer it took me between 20 minutes and half an hour to dismantle the machine.
    of course, I went in from the top, and the fan was in the bottom, maybe there was a better way. some laptops are easy to work on, some are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Thanks everyone. Its a HP Pavilion and its only about 1.5 ~ 2 years old so not that old really. I might give it a go myself I suppose, my main concern was time and that I'd brick the laptop and then I'd be screwed but I've managed to get an old one up and running yesterday so I can work off that for the time being. At least it means I wont be rushing through it and can just take my time. Of course thats assuming its something I can actually buy a replacement for but I'd imagine it'd be pretty standard parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

What an enterprising young fellow. I'm the same in a way.
    Sometime I get home from work(with computers) and there's a computer just left there by a friend or a friend of a friend or family. Than I'm expected to fix with my genius computer powers ;). I don't ask for any money, but I often get chucked 50 euro or a slab of beer for doing such small things as installing anti virus software and the likes. Today I fixed a machine simply by removing a CD from the drive which was interfering with the boot process. I reckon I'll still get a beer or two out of it.
    Happy days.

Advertisement