Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloody tomatoes

Options
  • 30-07-2009 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Bought some tomato plants this year for the first time and planted them in the kitchen. They came on well and after a while we transplanted them into a bigger rectangular pot. The three plants seemed to thrive and we had to put a trellis up on the wall to accommodate the mad growth. They grew to the ceiling and looked wilted but no flowers at all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

These are presumably a cordon variety. You need to stop them, i.e. pinch off the leading shoot at about 2-3ft. also pinch out any shoots that appear at joints in the stem and feed them once a week with a high potash fertiliser like Tomorite. Even so, I'm surprised they got to that height without even one flower. Were you feeding them with high nitrogen fertiliser or perhaps feeding them too often?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

We fed them maybe twice since we got them and did some pinching but obviously not enough. Though they are in the kitchen, they are in front of double glass doors which are south facing and thus get a lot of sun. New house as well so well insulated and very warm. Ah well its all a learning curve anyway, the first garden is coming on really well. Thanks for your interest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tomatoes can be difficult to grow. I grow cherry tomatoes that need no pinching out and can be grown in hanging baskets or pots. They're really easy to grow and yield tons of tomatoes. You might want to look out for these next year, the seeds are widely available and you sow them in spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Sorry to hijack your thread OP- I have a somewhat similar problem. It's my first time growing Tomatoes too.

I've got a "Shirley F1" plant, but didn't pinch it enough and it turned into a big bush about 3ft tall. My grandad was out last week and he put it right and pinched LOADS off it and it went from being a big green bush with a few flowers to a skinny bare plant with a good few flowers (maybe 30 or so).

But.... the plant is split in two-i.e. it has two main stems, one is healthy looking (big leaves, some flowers and most importantly small green tomatoes!) the other stem is dead looking. All of the leaves are completely brown and dead, but there's lots (about 10 or more) of small tomatoes on it! is this normal??? Is there anything to do to keep the ugly side healthy or is it the other side that's going wrong and I should strip some more leaves off it? (there aint much left!)

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭scottyboy1973

Tons of flowers and healthy enough looking stems but very few (ie 3) tomatoes. I got 2 shirley and 2 tumbler plants and both varieties are like this??

I havent fed them as I wass trying for the auld organic approach this year so decided to just leave them be.

Any way I can bring them back to giving me at least enough fruit for one dinner!!?

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement