Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs & Excise

Options
  • 30-07-2009 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just send a parcel home containing a SLR camera from Oz, $190 to ship it, I bought it in Harvey Normans in Ireland, but stopped working and sent it home for repair, Irish Customs are trying to charge me 250 euro!

I've already paid VAT when I purchased it, so I shouldn't have to pay tax on it again?..should I?:confused:

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

did you send an invoice stating it was for repair and not resale? check out revenue.ie for a number and give them a call

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

splinter wrote: »
    did you send an invoice stating it was for repair and not resale? check out revenue.ie for a number and give them a call

Well you see this is the first international shipment that i've ever made the guy in the pack and send outlet, asked me for a value i gave him a value of AU$ 1400, which he wrote on the docket. But I didn't include an Invoice.. crap

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you can prove that you already paid VAT in Ireland for them item you should be fine, receipt from Harvey Norman would do the trick nicely

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Harvey norman do keep reciepts on file on their systems (well they did when i worked there 3 years ago). maybe call them, get them to fax you your vat reciept (their standard reciepts include vat amounts) and contact irish customs yourself.

Cabaal wrote: »
    As last as you can prove that you already paid VAT in Ireland for them item you should be fine, receipt from Harvey Norman would do the trick nicely

The original receipt is actually in the parcel...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

TBH you sent a package with a value on it but nothing else, of course Customs will want to charge you VAT and unless you are giving them permission to poke around and look for the receipt, they will just go with what you wrote on it. Maybe you could call them arseholes if they won't entertain your call but maybe you should ring revenue first before you brand customs for merely doing their job based on what you sent. A phone call should sort out the whole thing for you and give you a happy ending.

TheDriver wrote: »
    TBH you sent a package with a value on it but nothing else, of course Customs will want to charge you VAT and unless you are giving them permission to poke around and look for the receipt, they will just go with what you wrote on it. Maybe you could call them arseholes if they won't entertain your call but maybe you should ring revenue first before you brand customs for merely doing their job based on what you sent. A phone call should sort out the whole thing for you and give you a happy ending.

Acknowledged, I was angry at the time.. withdrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you can prove that the parcel was for repair and/or that it was purchased in ireland, then you should be OK.

dudara wrote: »
    If you can prove that the parcel was for repair and/or that it was purchased in ireland, then you should be OK.

I'm just hoping that the brother can sort something out.! fingers crossed

Advertisement