Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grrrr little rant

• 30-07-2009 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

I'm having a bad couple of days in work... I only have tomorrow and next week to go til taking Mat leave but it seems that people have been saving thier comments til the bitter end... here are some of today's comments; 'when are you going on hols?', and 'wish I could get pregnant and take 6 months off' and 'I haven't even taken a holiday this year'... its doing my head in... its all meant to be 'in jest' and I know I'm taking things a little too personally but GRRRRRRRRRRR...
    I know that these guys are in the minority and most guys I know would not even dream of being so insensetive but there is a time when a joke is clearly not funny... the thing is that if my other half or anyone elses wanted to take the 6 months off insead of me, they couldn't because its not allowed!! As it is, he's not in full time employment at the moment so we have pressures of our own to deal with without having to deal with other people's stoooopid issues... anyway sorry for the rant!! I've calmed down a bit now :D
    Anyone else encounter insidious worky issues around being pregnant?? Don't want to go into the whole talk to HR business, I don't want to blow things out of proportion and as my OH says some of these guys are so thick they don't get it!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Sounds like they are young and thick.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Chucu - it is normal,everyone gets it before and during maternity leave.It is only getting to you because you are stressed.
    Do not worry about it,it is the best 6 months ever:)
    Though between the milk on the keyboard and the rusk on the floor,it does not feel like much of a holiday all the time in the traditional sense;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Heh.

Tell them that if they give birth for you they can have the maternity leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Thanks guys, and you're right Moonbeam I am stressed, trying to finish things up in here before leaving!! Thead... I wish I could say they were young, thick maybe, but certainly not young!! Das K.. I just laughed it off and let off steam under my breath, but what I felt like saying was 'HOLIDAYS?!! Say that to your Mother when you next see her and she'll give you a piece of her mind... if it wasn't for her you wouldn't be here!' !!
    I'm really looking forward to spending the next six months bonding with baba, last thing I want is a guilt trip, but as soon as I get on Mat leave I know this will be an amusing distant memory!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Chuchu wrote: »
    I'm having a bad couple of days in work... I only have tomorrow and next week to go til taking Mat leave but it seems that people have been saving thier comments til the bitter end... here are some of today's comments; 'when are you going on hols?', and 'wish I could get pregnant and take 6 months off' and 'I haven't even taken a holiday this year'... its doing my head in... its all meant to be 'in jest' and I know I'm taking things a little too personally but GRRRRRRRRRRR...
    I know that these guys are in the minority and most guys I know would not even dream of being so insensetive but there is a time when a joke is clearly not funny... the thing is that if my other half or anyone elses wanted to take the 6 months off insead of me, they couldn't because its not allowed!! As it is, he's not in full time employment at the moment so we have pressures of our own to deal with without having to deal with other people's stoooopid issues... anyway sorry for the rant!! I've calmed down a bit now :D
    Anyone else encounter insidious worky issues around being pregnant?? Don't want to go into the whole talk to HR business, I don't want to blow things out of proportion and as my OH says some of these guys are so thick they don't get it!!

The reason you have 6 mths off is to recover physiclly from the pregnancy & birth and to allow bonding with your child. As a partner was not pregnant thr first 6 mths obviously not be swapped.

You need to be realistic about this, of course people will be resentful of you going off work for 6mths. Does your company pay maternity leave - if so, this will only strengthen resentment. Have you been replaced ot had someone had to take on your duties?

During your pregnancy how was your attendance in work? Some pregnant women may take the piss on 'sick leave' making the resentment all the worse.

All I can say is it will happen, get over it & move on.

• Advertisement

The little rant was just that, I'm over it thanks... my attendance is impeccable, plus I do a lot of over time (pregnant or not) and never get paid for it... never expect to, however expecting people to not cross lines when cracking inappropriate jokes about my personal life and decisions isn't asking much... I am now more than aware that these issues are other peoples' issues and not mine. End of.

Ah I've just read your other post there and see where you're coming from... (initially thought you may work in HR or something!!:D) that's tough about your sister but every pregnancy is different and it can affect women physically and emotionally in very different ways, as soon as the baby arrives I'm sure it will all lift and she will have something else to focus on. Hope the situation improves for you all soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭JoeyW

OP, my work is the very same. They are constantly going on about my "pregnancy brain" if I make the tiniest mistake, and make me feel like I'm the most stupid person alive.
    Last week I was out two days with a kidney infection and all I heard for the rest of the week was "oh its alright for madam on her three day week)! Like I asked or wanted to be sick. Grrr.
    I just grit my teeth and ignore them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭3DataModem

'when are you going on hols?'

Answer: "Not till after I get back to the office"
    'wish I could get pregnant and take 6 months off'

Answer to a woman: "Perhaps if you were more attractive somebody would be prepared to impregnate you?"

Answer to a man: "I wish you could take six months off to mind my child."
    'I haven't even taken a holiday this year'.

Answer: "I'm surprised that someone with your manners hasn't got friends lining up to go on holiday with you."

Priceless!! Ta for giving me a laugh as I sit waiting to get this little critter out!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Happy to help...

Sitting here watching BB beside Mrs 3DataModem who is waiting on 2 critters(!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

Isn't that sexual harrassment?

You should go to your boss, and he could tell them to stop. You're under enough stress as it is without some tools insulting you with, what I would call, sexist remarks.

Advertisement