Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car scrappage

• 30-07-2009 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

I have a 1999 Opel Corsa. It just had it's NCT and failed because of a problem with the fluid in the wheel. The fluid wasn't entering the wheel fast enough. My garage then told me that one day there would be the possibilty of the car wheel siezing whilst I'm driving. They said they'd have to replace the box, which would be a messy job. The total cost was quoted as €1600. I'm wondering what I should do as I have been having trouble with the car recently. It broke down a couple of times in April because of an electrical fault. I fixed that but have just noticed an oil leak.

I have just paid tax on it for the year and don't know what I should do. Should I buy a new car? Fork out the money to get my car fixed our hand it in for scrap value if anything else goes wrong? How much scrap value do you think it's worth? I could also sell it to a car dealer? Couldn't I? I don't know how much I will get for that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

I don't understand what they mean by 'fluid in the wheel'??? What section of the NCT did it fail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

I don't understand what they mean by 'fluid in the wheel'??? What section of the NCT did it fail?

The power steering was the reason it failed. There was a slight pull on the steering because not enough fluid was entering the rack. It's a bit confusing!!!:confused: I'm between two minds whether I should keep it or not, but I love it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

If the car is put off the road I think you get your road tax back.

I'd say you'd only get scrappage against a new or nearly new car, which would be equivalent to a cash discount anyway.

Advertisement