Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Shower V Hard Water

Options
  • 30-07-2009 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

In a hard water area and it has killed my electric shower. Havn't the money to install water softening system. Any recommendations for a electric shower that would be the most resistent to breakdown from limescale build up.

Also should I have concerns for my central heatin boiler or is that ok as the rads are a closed water system?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

DJ Dodgy wrote: »
    In a hard water area and it has killed my electric shower. Havn't the money to install water softening system. Any recommendations for a electric shower that would be the most resistent to breakdown from limescale build up.

Also should I have concerns for my central heatin boiler or is that ok as the rads are a closed water system?

Not to sure what type of electric shower you have. Its either a T80 or a T90. tbh no there is not a lot you can do on the shower situation. I usually rec you buy a cheap shower as neither the cheap or dear shower is going to last long. You can wash the head in a solution of clear vinager and water once a month. steep the head for a half an hour which helps keep it free but its your element where all the damage is.

If you switch to a power showe it should last longer as there is no element and the pump takes longer to clog but that means you are relying on your cylinder.

On the heating. Provided its a sealed heating system which the majority are you should be fine.

Get a local plumber to give you a quote. To be honest water softners are not dear now and the initial investment pays back in the life of goods etc,

Are you using calgon in your washing machine? Click on my link below for some information on calgon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Stratocaster

All electric showers are sensitive to limescale, the motors, elements, pumps etc inside the shower unit are not capable of handling the build up.

Your heating system is fine once its been in use, the heat tends to kill off the oxygen and limescale, you will have a sludge build up over time so its best to inhibit the system, you can buy a system cleaner to flush out the system then add an inhibitor which will greatly improve the life time of the boiler and associated heating system metal work. A brand called fernox seems to have a good range to suit different systems, all instructions provided on the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭DJ Dodgy

Are you using calgon in your washing machine? Click on my link below for some information on calgon

I was using calgon but I switched to washing powders as I was informed that they bulk up the expensive washing powders with water softeners so thought I might be able to save the Calgon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I was using calgon but I switched to washing powders as I was informed that they bulk up the expensive washing powders with water softeners so thought I might be able to save the Calgon.

lol. I thought so! Yes they do put softners in washing powders, all of them expensive or otherwish it helps the powder perform better!

Now put that calgon money in a jar and you will be able to afford a water softner next year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭DJ Dodgy

lol. I thought so! Yes they do put softners in washing powders, all of them expensive or otherwish it helps the powder perform better!

Now put that calgon money in a jar and you will be able to afford a water softner next year :D

Will do. Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement