Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedge Trimmer/cutter - electric or Petrol?

Options
  • 30-07-2009 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

Looking to buy one and trying to decide what is good value out there?

Have alot of spread out hedging so am more inclined towards the petrol ones?
    What are the best makes? Whats good value?
    Dont want a cheap one - but not a mad expensive one either...
    Also, see some of the battery operated ones too - whats peoples experiences?

Any help appreciated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭inishindie

Hi Dryan

I used a battery hedge cutter last year for my hedges and it was really annoying as the battery ran out before I had finished the job. It charged in 4 hours but I was onto other things by then and it was a pain. The other irritation with battery is that they go flat really slooowly, so you have a period where it just keeps clogging up...

I looked at petrol ones this year but found them very heavy, especially after holding them up for a few minutes. Because of this I opted for an electric one with a big extension cable and have been very happy with the results . These are lighter but it would pay to get a surge protector , especially for me because I keep cutting through the cable with the blades.....

If you had the strength I would go for a petrol one if you have a big area as there is no cable to sever.

As far as makes go I would recommend one that's sold locally. It's handy just to pop down to the local Co-Op if there is a problem or you need them serviced. I like the Japanese engines if going for petrol....high revving...

Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Tanaka make a really good petrol hedge trimmer, My mum has one and finds it very easy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Spend your money on a good electric one a petrol one is to heavy after 15 minutes or so and a good electric one is almost maintence free with the same results and less labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

I'm servicing and retailing these types of machines daily and my advice is to only go for a 2stroke machine!!!

Electric machines are generally weaker than their petrol counter-parts. When they give trouble it's hardly ever worth repairing them as the labour and parts involved would exceed to initial purchase price. They generally have a far shorter lifespan than petrol machines. If it has a cable, they get cut or the user gets tangled up in them.

When it comes to choosing which petrol one to go for... unfortunately, you really do get what you pay for.

Don't expect a cheap and cheerful one to put up with any punishment, nor expect to be able to get spare parts easily for it. Spend a decent amount of money on a good quality make like Jonsered or Tanaka and you'll have hassle free trimming once you look after the machine properly.

Here's a quick guide to keeping one working perfectly:

1. Keep plenty of oil lubricant on the blades.

2. Get the blades sharpened regularly. This depends on how much use it's getting.

3. Make sure to use the correct oil/petrol mix! Very important!!! Generally it's 50:1 but check your manual.

4. Keep your 2stroke mix in a can clearly marked as 2stroke... one accidental fill of normal petrol could seize your engine permanently!

5. Petrol spoils in 6-8 weeks since they removed lead from it and introduced alternative additives. So make sure to always use a fresh petrol mix, by this I mean, ALWAYS BUY FRESH PETROL. If you are not going to use the machine for a period longer than 8 weeks then run the machine until the petrol mix is used up and the tank is empty. This will ensure easier starting after being laid up for a while. This also applies to lawnmowers, chainsaws and pretty much every petrol engine! Trust me on this... THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

6. Change the spark plug regularly and make sure it's the correct one for your machine! Just because a spark plug fits doesn't mean it's the correct one, it's all about tolerance levels when the machine is running hot.

7. Check all the nuts and bolts and grease all the required points regularly.

ALTERNATIVELY:

Develop a nice relationship with your local main service guy (not a guy working out of the back of a garden shed somewhere, as he won't be privy to specific model changes, service bulletins and full workshop diagnostics). He can do everything for you in less than an hour, which shouldn't cost you much and you'll know it's done right!

Advertisement