Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options
  • 27-07-2006 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

ive just got the under 35 usit canada visa, however i ave to pay 468 euro for insurance, anyone who has got or is getting this visa know where i can get cheaper insurance tat usit will accept instead of there own.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I tried myself to get cheaper insurance myself but found it impossible to find as they put one condtion in that makes it impossible to get insurace elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 gary9112

i think ive found a cheap one that covers up to 38000 in the cause of death its with fyi.ie any one know if they will accept this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭punky

I ended up giving in and paying Usit for it. They charge you a good bit for flights as well. A bit of sting to be honest.

I tried VHI but their regular insurance doesn't cover everything you need. I'm starting to get pissed off with the whole process. I got some documentation the other day and in the jobs part they were strongly urging us paddy's to get work in the 'services' industry regardless of our experience. Dunno about you but I don't fancy waiting tables for a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jinx51

gary9112 wrote:
    i think ive found a cheap one that covers up to 38000 in the cause of death its with fyi.ie any one know if they will accept this one

I was gonna go with them. I rang them up and told them of the requirements that needed to be met, specifically:

Medical Expenses €2.5 million
    Personal Accident: €38,000
    Repatriation and Medical Evacuation (provided for within the medical expenses limit)

They said they're familiar with the USIT program and that they meet these. Better ring up FYI yourself to confirm as she didn't sound very convincing.

Anyway, as I'm leaving on August 11th, I didn't want any delays so I just went with USIT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 gary9112

im going to chance going with the fyi insurance its 200 cheaper. also u dont need to work in the service indusry it pays ****, i was over there for 3 months last year backpacking and i made some useful contacts, heres a hint everybody goes for the cities canada is a massive country if u go to the smaller towns you can get good paying jobs, for example i was in the yukon beautiful place last year and im think of going there for the year the pay is good there as its cold in winter but the people are the nicest in the world and if ure irish you will have no problem getting a job. so all in all there is no ****ing way im going to toronto or some other big city and no way im going to the popular backpacker resort towns, its a waste of time if you want to experience canadian life try and go where its only locals and they dont get alot of foreign travellers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭lost_for_words

I'm going on this visa at the end of the year and although it pained me I gave in and got the USIT insurance. I got quotes from other insurance people but they couldnt guarantee me that they would meet the specifics of the USIT policy.

What USIT charge is ridiculous but I felt like it wasn't worth the risk buying insurance and then it not being good enough and having to buy it a second time. I know of people that tried that route and got stung. Dealing with USIT at all is a pain in the arse, I've found them to be unhelpful and overpriced, especially the flights which could be gotten cheaper if you were allowed to buy them yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jinx51

I just got a text regarding my insurance (that I booked from USIT). They quoted my insurance policy and it's from BlueInsurance. Check out there quote here: http://www.blueinsurance.ie/whitelabel/blueWLGoHop.asp?agencyid=318

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Just booked cover with fyi.ie. They cover all the conditions that USIT specify, and costs €321, instead of €460. This even includes winter sports, which USIT partner Blue Insurance charge an additional €60 for.
    fyi.ie will sign off the form for USIT too, stating that you are qall the criteria are met.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 CSHARKS

Has anyone paid the fee to get the Australian Police check done for the U35 Canadian visa? Can a bank draft from an AIB or BOI do? They said The cheque must be from an Australian bank or be affiliated with an Australian bank

Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Bonnie's Babe

CSHARKS wrote: »
    Has anyone paid the fee to get the Australian Police check done for the U35 Canadian visa? Can a bank draft from an AIB or BOI do? They said The cheque must be from an Australian bank or be affiliated with an Australian bank

Any ideas?

We sent an AIB one but haven't heard anything back yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jimbob123

was wondering if anyone knows anything about the people who are the waiting list for the canada visa's? Group of 5 of us going but 2 left it a little late and are 82 and 83 on the waiting list. We've heard to list is a bit of a formality and they shouldn't worry. Anyone know anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lis101

I got the Usit policy for my canada programme - it has far more cover than most policies out there - i checked around and none of them come near - just to give you the heads up. I wanted to be safe rather than sorry as I am going for a year to work in canada. leaving in 2 months can 't wait heading toronto!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 lonelyheart

Accident and General explorer level 3 insurance meets usit's requirements, I think its 469 for TWO years insurance including winter sports and excess waiver!

Pretty good value!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Handlestash

Can anyone point me in the direction of the flight criteria for usit's canada under 35 visa? I was at the work abroad thing in the RDS a couple of weeks and cornered a usit employee who told me (very reluctantly) that you DON'T have to book your flights through them but that there are specific requirements. He just wouldn't tell me where to get them.

I AM DETERMINED NOT TO GIVE USIT ANY MORE MONEY!!!

Also, surely they can't legally hold my visa until I book my flights and insurance? There's nothing in their terms and conditions about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Handlestash

lis101 wrote: »
    I got the Usit policy for my canada programme - it has far more cover than most policies out there - i checked around and none of them come near - just to give you the heads up. I wanted to be safe rather than sorry as I am going for a year to work in canada. leaving in 2 months can 't wait heading toronto!

Do you work for usit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 portally

That is good news - spread it around. USIT insisting on flights booked through them is ridiculous, I found out today that as I have to change my flight I need to pay a change fee and then another one as return date is not one full year away.

USIT charge you for a 'Special Flexible Fight' and then charge you to change it. Has anyone had any experience in canceling the USIT flight and booking new tickets once the visa documents come through, there is no problem that I can see. Apparently usit will 'inform' the canadian authorities, Im just don't think its an unreasonable thing to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lorcanh

portally wrote: »
    That is good news - spread it around. USIT insisting on flights booked through them is ridiculous, I found out today that as I have to change my flight I need to pay a change fee and then another one as return date is not one full year away.

USIT charge you for a 'Special Flexible Fight' and then charge you to change it. Has anyone had any experience in canceling the USIT flight and booking new tickets once the visa documents come through, there is no problem that I can see. Apparently usit will 'inform' the canadian authorities, Im just don't think its an unreasonable thing to ask.

I rang the usit booking line earlier today and the person told me that the flights didn't have to be booked through USIT either. I've heard so many stories on this forum about people being forced into booking the flights through USIT that I've emailed them to get confirmation that this is correct.

It looks like their prices have fallen as well. I was quoted €600 for flights from the 16th August onwards. The rep was saying that they've brought the September prices into August. I suppose it explains why they were offering a €100 discount last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Could you use glopespan as they have very cheap flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mindlet

lorcanh wrote: »
    I rang the usit booking line earlier today and the person told me that the flights didn't have to be booked through USIT either. I've heard so many stories on this forum about people being forced into booking the flights through USIT that I've emailed them to get confirmation that this is correct.

It looks like their prices have fallen as well. I was quoted €600 for flights from the 16th August onwards. The rep was saying that they've brought the September prices into August. I suppose it explains why they were offering a €100 discount last week.
    Hey there-can you confirm if you heard back from USIT? I bought alternative insurance with accident & general for alot cheaper and I called USIT and dropped in last Thursday with insurance details and completed the alternative insurance form that USIT require. I was told on the phone that day and was told I would know by cob friday if my insurance matched what USIT require and I called Friday and they said it has not been looked at yet. Meanwhile I have the money to pay for flights as I took this out last Thursday on the assumption I was gonna book on Saturday. I have emailed again today and am awaiitng a response-they are taking their time. I was quoted €750 return to Toronto and back from Vancouver, but as they can not confirm the return date it is true that I have to pay to change the return date, I work in Microsoft and do travel all the time and this is a disgrace that we are being charged to change date- if flexible we should not have to do this. I have not found much cheaper on line returning from Vancouver-their prices are not as bad as I had thought originally.

mindlet wrote: »
    Hey there-can you confirm if you heard back from USIT? I bought alternative insurance with accident & general for alot cheaper and I called USIT and dropped in last Thursday with insurance details and completed the alternative insurance form that USIT require. I was told on the phone that day and was told I would know by cob friday if my insurance matched what USIT require and I called Friday and they said it has not been looked at yet. Meanwhile I have the money to pay for flights as I took this out last Thursday on the assumption I was gonna book on Saturday. I have emailed again today and am awaiitng a response-they are taking their time. I was quoted €750 return to Toronto and back from Vancouver, but as they can not confirm the return date it is true that I have to pay to change the return date, I work in Microsoft and do travel all the time and this is a disgrace that we are being charged to change date- if flexible we should not have to do this. I have not found much cheaper on line returning from Vancouver-their prices are not as bad as I had thought originally.

I haven't received a reply from USIT yet but as soon as I do I'll post the reply. At the moment I'm still assuming the rep on the phone just made a mistake but I definitely won't be booking my flights until I get confirmation.

• Advertisement

me too- when are you heading by the way?

At the moment my plan is to head on the 18th August. I reckon I'll be exhausted the first day I get there so take it easy that night (Well, easy enough:)) Have you started making plans in terms of accommodation or jobs?

I've been to Toronto before and stayed with two friends of mine (They went over on the under 35 visa 2 years ago). Their apartment block was on Sherbourne and Shuter, 5 minutes walk from Yonge Street which is pretty much the city centre and the rent was nothing compared to here. I don't think I'll be staying there though, it's not exactly the nicest part of the city.

Hi Lorcan

I am not going til Oct-have to save, no plans re. jobs yet. I have been working many years in admin and expect I willl end up doing that kinda work, but who knows, I am used to good money though. Re. an apt I was told Toronto is expensive...keep in touch..pm me for my fb details.
    Amanda

Hi Lorcan

I booked my flights and received my USIT pack yesterday, I am off in Oct, have you any tips on jobs/ accommodation?

I'm going to book my flights through usit this week but I'm still reluctant to book insurance through them. I knw it would be alot less hassle but money's a bit tight so I'll have a scan over a few of the other threads to get some info.

As for tips on jobs and accommodation anything I've picked up I've gotten mostly from the posts on this site. It looks like it would be difficult to get a job before going over and going through a job agency looks the best bet. Have a look at workopolis.com to see what agencies seem to have the most jobs in the area you're planning on working in then contact them when you get over there.

At this stage I can't wait to get over there. :)

cool, go with FYI.ie that's who I went with think it was €320 pm me your email address-are you in Dublin now? perhaps we could meet before you go over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Recentgraduate

Anybody hear any word on the requirements with booking flights with usit?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭TedDiBiase

How much are we looking at for a years insurance via USIT?

I'm booking it this weekend and need to know how much I can expect to pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Trang

TedDiBiase wrote: »
    How much are we looking at for a years insurance via USIT?

I'm booking it this weekend and need to know how much I can expect to pay?
    i called into them yest....wad quoted 927 flight to montreal and 467 for insurance...makes things a lil difficult at such crazy prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Trang wrote: »
    i called into them yest....wad quoted 927 flight to montreal and 467 for insurance...makes things a lil difficult at such crazy prices

Jesus thats alot for insurance .Got to get saving :(.

Advertisement