Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amber23

id say you could be right there! very annoying! even if there was a date to work towards it wouldnt be so bad, ah well, just have to keep waiting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

well i would say most people will be pretty broke for christmas so if the visa program opens next week alot of people wont be going for it straight away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 bridie27

hmmm maybe,people may have out money aside like myself who have been planning to go for a while. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sullie86

no probelem might go over to van after the winter olypics.What do you mean by research.I have checked out craigslist and have a good idea what ill be doing.Staying in a hostel for aweek first any how and looking for work and house after.

which hostel you staying in gob_smacked? im in the canadiana for a week ehen i arrive on the 28th

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

in Toronto I am book a hostel called All Days Hostel,its cheap enough but has everything we want(3 bed room) and its not to far from downtown(subway right beside us and its only a 15 min walk).

You know any where good to go on New years eve and are the bars open new years day/night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 sullie86

no idea really, iv heard a place called nathan philips plaza is quiet good for it tho right in front of city hall might be worth a look
    dont know how they are about drinking in the street tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Moondust

Hi , I'm arriving in Vancouver Dec 28th, Good place to look for a hostel is www.hostelworld.com...they have customer reviews along with a rating.
    Anyone any ideas for New years? or is it pretty tame compred to Ireland?

From what I hear you cant drink on the street and the cops dont like it and will enforce the law.Just wondering are the pubs open on new years today you know to nerse the hangover!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Moondust wrote: »
    Hi , I'm arriving in Vancouver Dec 28th, Good place to look for a hostel is www.hostelworld.com...they have customer reviews along with a rating.

I believe Tack, one of our fellow boardsies, was hoping to organise a New Years bash here in Vancouver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

funny you should mention that, we're having a few beers tonight so il be talking about it then. still dont know about it yet BUT the saturday before christmas we should be putting on getogether of sorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 irishguy34

I have been on to a few canadians and New years eve seems pretty tame I presume just hook up with some people in a hostel and take it from there..
    Have you picked a hostel?

Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 choc1111

tadhgrrr wrote: »
    Dear Tadhg

If you wish to book your own flights you can do so but we do recommend that you purchase a flexible ticket as you may need to make a change.Also when you book your own flights you will have to email canada@usit.ie with a copy of your flight details as we need to know your travel plans, once we receive these details you can pay the fee of €40.00. Otherwise if you would like to give me your flight details I can see what is the cheapest ticket that we have an offer?

With regard to insurance if you wish to use your own policy you must post the full policy with the attached form so we can ensure that your policy meets the requirements of the programme. Once the policy has been approved you will need to pay an administration fee of Eur40.00.

Does this mean that you have to pay €40 for them to look at your flights and another to look at your travel insurance?? Also, anybody have any more news on when this programme opens...and what do you need to reserve a place as soon as it does besides the application fee? Is it possible to get sponsored to stay in canada after the 1 year visa expires?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Moondust

Think i'm staying in the Urban Hideaway.
    just one more question....
    Whats thw story with tipping? Like do you have to tip for everything!
    e.g like a resent posted said that they do table service in bars, so everytime they serve you are they expecting a tip? Do you tip taxi's, basically...do you tip everyone who serves you, and how would they percieve it if you didn't?? :) And whats the normal tipping amount??
    (in my mind, tipping should only be done, if your happy with the service, and not to be given to everyone!)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 irishguy34

I am staying in urban hideaway so meet you for a scoop my good man!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

Think i'm staying in the Urban Hideaway.
    just one more question....
    Whats thw story with tipping? Like do you have to tip for everything!
    e.g like a resent posted said that they do table service in bars, so everytime they serve you are they expecting a tip? Do you tip taxi's, basically...do you tip everyone who serves you, and how would they percieve it if you didn't?? :) And whats the normal tipping amount??
    (in my mind, tipping should only be done, if your happy with the service, and not to be given to everyone!)

You are expected to tip in bars and restaurants, you do not need to avail of table service in bars, just go to the bar yourself, or sit at the bar. I think tipping is 12% or 15% of your bill.
    Tipping is a load of crap, you're already paying quite abit for whatever it is you're getting without having to pay more, it's not my fault your boss is stingy and won't pay you a decent wage.

but dont you get a free drink from the bar, in america it was like buy three get one free.

Canada isn't America.

but thet are similar.Tipping for example

As similar as Ireland and England, tipping is one of the few things in common.

then why are you trying to be smart saying canada isnt like america .I gave an example about the tipping in America is the same as Canada,got a smart comment from you and now you say I am right.

• Advertisement

There's no need to start getting nasty, all I'm saying is because they may share on or two things it does not mean they are similar, they are very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

but dont you get a free drink from the bar, in america it was like buy three get one free.

In my experience this is only in practice in the north east of the country, New York/New England etc. And you get a drink back because you're expected to cover the cost of it int he tip at the end, so it isn't a free drink.

Tipping here is balls, I agree with whoever else said so.
    To be honest I've stopped unless I'm ordering food, no f*ckin way am I handing over a dollar on top of the cost of every drink.

yeah tipping is a pain alright but its part of their culture. its what they do. so i cant really complain about it too much, i did choose to live here, not vice versa.

one time in a bar i didnt tip the barman, as i was intending on tipping him the next time. well, the next time i went to the bar he completely blanked me. walked by me, looked over me and finally served me. ****. this only happened once and generally i havent had any other 'moments' but even after nearly 3 months im still not use to it.

canada is not america. the same way you feel when someone says ireland is in britian is similar to the way they feel about being compared to america.

and yes there is no need for nastyness in the canadian thread, its not what the canadians would want. chill out!!

Táck wrote: »
    funny you should mention that, we're having a few beers tonight so il be talking about it then. still dont know about it yet BUT the saturday before christmas we should be putting on getogether of sorts.

Nice one Tack, keep us informed!

graham it wouldnt be the same without you at this stage. you're our first regular!

Táck wrote: »
    graham it wouldnt be the same without you at this stage. you're our first regular!

Cheers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭RayCarley

Myself and a few friends (Students) are planning on going out to Vancouver for the summer (3 months June to August). So I have been researching the whole Visa process and USIT seem to be getting so much bad press from everyone here (the long painful overpriced process), but is there actually any other way of getting a student work visa?

I saw a few threads ago talk of this Youth Mobility Programme, but has anyone actually been sucessful with this? I have to say I much prefer the sounds of the €95 fee, instead of the €489 USIT fee.

Otherwise, I guess the only option is to pay the €489 and then pay the extra €40 and book my own flights and insurance?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

so we HAVE to go through USIT, didn't someone mention on another thread you could apply direct through the Canadian govt page for the Visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭myleftfoot

RayCarley wrote: »
    Myself and a few friends (Students) are planning on going out to Vancouver for the summer (3 months June to August). So I have been researching the whole Visa process and USIT seem to be getting so much bad press from everyone here (the long painful overpriced process), but is there actually any other way of getting a student work visa?

I saw a few threads ago talk of this Youth Mobility Programme, but has anyone actually been sucessful with this? I have to say I much prefer the sounds of the €95 fee, instead of the €489 USIT fee.

Otherwise, I guess the only option is to pay the €489 and then pay the extra €40 and book my own flights and insurance?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Ireland's Youth Mobility programme is done by USIT. See this email I received from the Canadian embassy in London

"Thank you for your message, unfortunately, we do not have the answers to your questions here in the Public Affairs Section. All immigration enquiries must be directed via www.unitedkingdom.gc.ca.

If you are an Irish citizen you can apply for a visa using USIT. USIT is the sole operator of youth mobility visas for Irish citizens going to Canada. We do not administer these applications ourselves. You can visit their website http://canada.usit.ie/ to see the conditions as well as information on the 2010 programme."

Of course USIT have nothing of use on their website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭RayCarley

Cheers for the reply. It's a pity it's bad news. Looks like there's no way of avoid that €489 fee that USIT insist on charging. I'd better get saving now!

Actually does anyone know when the 2010 visas for next summer are likely to be released? I joined the mailing list on the USIT site anyway.

Advertisement