Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

GGirl2010 wrote: »
    you stil working away techi-fan.. or do you have to wait on visa approval. :)

Nope, I'm still working away on my first Canadian visa! I'm in the middle of applying for a few new jobs for when my contract ends.

I just applied for the second one to keep my options open.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭mfield

den1982 wrote: »
    ive never said no to a bob yet so fire it away in...hahah.... let me know how u get on.oh ya,put it urgent;)

Right, I sent €110 and it was an extra €12.70 for the URGENT transfer.

I should get a mail tomorrow confirming that it was sent, which I will then send onto to my Canadian friendlies.

Sure we'll see what happens.

I also lodged €150,000,000 into your account den! Don't spend it all in Lidl :P

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Nope, I'm still working away on my first Canadian visa! I'm in the middle of applying for a few new jobs for when my contract ends.

I just applied for the second one to keep my options open.

oh very good.. yeah... do .. apply to as many jobs!!!.. im nervous about phase 2 ..LOL!!!.. i already know im to get medical examintaion form off them !! for a strat. cause of my job . and about the internet banking.. do those guys mean.. as in banking 365 or what ever branch they are in.. i am on banking 365 i didnt know banking 365 did wiring and that for money transfer. well i just went into em and did it face to face!! eaiser . havnt a clue how to use money transfers online!! ..

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭den1982

mfield wrote: »
    Right, I sent €110 and it was an extra €12.70 for the URGENT transfer.

I should get a mail tomorrow confirming that it was sent, which I will then send onto to my Canadian friendlies.

Sure we'll see what happens.

I also lodged €150,000,000 into your account den! Don't spend it all in Lidl :P

not gone on lidl,im a dunnes store person:Dsee you in canada so for a drink to celebrate ;);) on a serious note, if u go in to see ur transaction on the internet banking you will see ur status as pending,by tomorr evenin that should say complete,save that then as pdf file on to ur computer and upload it to ur e-mail and SUBMIT...bobs ur uncle:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Dunno if this has already been discussed but anyone got an idea of how much money would be needed to get set up in say Calgary?? Thinkn of going through go4less since USIT arent taking more apps. Prob gna head in July or August and I reckon Id have 5 grand in euros goin there but Im a bit worried that if I dont get a job for month or two that id be in bother!! Reckon Id burn through money in Toronto and not too convinced by Vancouver it seems a bit smaller and jobs could a prob.

If its already been discussed someone might point me in the right direction!! cheers!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

token101 wrote: »
    Dunno if this has already been discussed but anyone got an idea of how much money would be needed to get set up in say Calgary?? Thinkn of going through go4less since USIT arent taking more apps. Prob gna head in July or August and I reckon Id have 5 grand in euros goin there but Im a bit worried that if I dont get a job for month or two that id be in bother!! Reckon Id burn through money in Toronto and not too convinced by Vancouver it seems a bit smaller and jobs could a prob.

If its already been discussed someone might point me in the right direction!! cheers!!

down where i am in NW calgary bout 25 mins from down town, u can rent nice apartments for 700 a month, food and stuff is more or less the same price as at home! 5 grand would be lots as thats around what roughly 6600 dollars! seems to be plenty of work in calgary but does take them a while to get back to ya, startin work myself on the 22nd

TechnoPool wrote: »
    down where i am in NW calgary bout 25 mins from down town, u can rent nice apartments for 700 a month, food and stuff is more or less the same price as at home! 5 grand would be lots as thats around what roughly 6600 dollars! seems to be plenty of work in calgary but does take them a while to get back to ya, startin work myself on the 22nd

Cheers for that. 700 CAD I assume? Because 700 euro seems very high, unless you're talking renting an entire one bed apartment for yourself. I'm hoping to rent a room in a shared house/apt, that'd be cheaper I'd have thought (I'm hoping around 400 euros p/m for a good one) cos 700 a month would be too high for me really. Did you just go through craigs list for the house and job?? That seems to be the main portal for everything in North America and looking through other jobs sites like Monster, jobs look a bit sparse. Do you mind me asking if you have a trade? I'm kind of hoping to get some sorta graduate job in web dev/IT. People with trades seem to be strolling into jobs, my cousins a chippy and he got a job in Edmonton the day after he arrived! Going to have to bring my football boots aswell!! They look like they have GAA there!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭louisejscott

token my bf is a grad and he applied directly to companies already to start this summer and he got a conditional offer- I think for grads it appears to be the way it was here in the good old days. Grads are employed months in advance before they leave college. Might be an idea to get a list of companies your interested in and send them you CV- thats what my bf did and it worked.

token my bf is a grad and he applied directly to companies already to start this summer and he got a conditional offer- I think for grads it appears to be the way it was here in the good old days. Grads are employed months in advance before they leave college. Might be an idea to get a list of companies your interested in and send them you CV- thats what my bf did and it worked.

Cool thanks. I might try that before I go but I haven't even applied yet so will probably hold off till I get that at least! Has anyone not gone through USIT? I am thinking of going through Go4Less because there seems to be no immediate deadline time wise on getting an application in. Probably not even going to apply for it until at least the end of this month.

token if you are considering going I would apply asap. there are only 6,000 visas total and USIT had 2,000 of that 6,000 but USIT sold out over a week ago, so it's first come first served for the remaining visas- your options are do it yourself or go4less but both are on a first come first served basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

Any idea how big USIT let their waiting list get before they called a halt to it?

I stuck my name down cheekily on the waiting list just for some extra back up

Got in around 250ish

I'd say loads of people on the waiting list are in a similar boat as me, only on it as a backup

DazzlerIE- I stuck my name down 2 just in case but I'm number 774!!! think it closed shortly after me.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

DazzlerIE- I stuck my name down 2 just in case but I'm number 774!!! think it closed shortly after me.

ah cool. I'd say they're reasonably confident of getting places for everyone on there. They did it no problem last year

It's worth noting that I went over on the 2009 visa, and I didn't apply for it until November 2009

So we may all be panicking a bit much already :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

If anyone wants to see a copy of the CV I used over here to get my job drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send it on with the personal info removed :)
    It's kind of IT Oriented but should give you an idea of the format they like over here

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Demo2011

red menace wrote: »
    If anyone wants to see a copy of the CV I used over here to get my job drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send it on with the personal info removed :)
    It's kind of IT Oriented but should give you an idea of the format they like over here

Red Menace I would be very interested but cannot for the life of me work out how to PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Demo2011 wrote: »
    Red Menace I would be very interested but cannot for the life of me work out how to PM.

Click on my username on the left hand side and choose send a private message to red menace :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Demo2011

red menace wrote: »
    Click on my username on the left hand side and choose send a private message to red menace :)

Red Menace you a star ! If I get through this visa nightmare & actually get to Canada I will seriously owe you a drink :-)

really is that all?? I knew USIT only had 2000 but didnt realise there was that few overall!!! Im probably already screwed in that case but sure Ill have a go anyhow with Go4less and try that skilled migrant thing if that dont work!! If I was to get it though ad get the visa do you have to leave within a certain time frame? If you got it in say, March, could you leave in July and still have the 12 months till the following July? Is it like Oz where you can get it extended for another year? Sorry for the qs but I do appreciate the help!!

Demo2011 wrote: »

Could I get that off you aswell?? Im goin for something multimedia based, Flash, PHP, etc but that would be a great help as Ive heard its a bit different from an Irish CV.

Hi Token,

I'm not sure about the go4less thing but in general the IEC works as follows: your visa it activated for 1 year once you arrive in Canada so if you arrive in July 2011 you can stay until July 2012. Under the normal IEC you can leave any time up until 31 January 2012.

There is the option to extend the IEC for a second year but you must re-apply under the same process as this year and again it is on 1st come 1st served basis.

With regard to the 6,000 visa the process works as follows: At the beginning of the year each country under the scheme is allocated a certain amount of visas Ireland this year 6,000. If all the visas are not taken up by every country there is a re-issue in the summer. i.e. if france are allocated 5,000 in January and in July there are 2,000 remaining these are re-issued. This is how people who previously went were able to apply later in the year. However this re-issue is totally dependent on other countries not using their allocated amount and given the economic climate in Europe as a whole it may be more difficult this year.

You should apply for the Garda cert asap so that you can start the process.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭can2011

For those you are currently on the under 35 usit canadian WH visa, was it required to include a canadian police cert?

Can2011 I think you have to send in a Irish Garda Cert not a Canadian- this is certainly what the people currently in toronto are doing- a good site for info is the forums on www.irishalien.com

This seems to be where most of the people who are already there and applying for IEC 2 are discussing their options.

anyone get their email today- still no luck for me :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

Just to say ive been in NY for a week after spending 2 months in Toronto be very happy that Toronto is where you have emigrated to. I could not live in NY the only upside is getting home grown food easier but give me Toronto any other day in all other aspects.

I put my name on the USIT waitlist just on a whim one night weeks ago but i doubt theyre gna get back to me since I was #281 so I just went ahead and applied for go4less just now. Only 75 quid, USIT is a lot more expensive. Supposed to get a confirmation email but no luck yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

tipp86 wrote: »
    Just to say ive been in NY for a week after spending 2 months in Toronto be very happy that Toronto is where you have emigrated to. I could not live in NY the only upside is getting home grown food easier but give me Toronto any other day in all other aspects.

you on a visa for toronto or NY? . y wahts wrong with NY..?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Paula C

Still no email for me louise..dammit.look i know i did it right coz me and my boyf did exact same thing.it seems to be random selection.i mit email embassy and ask if i should be worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 conker

I just scanned the receipt that I got from BOI when I filled out the International Money Transfer form and sent that, hope thats ok.....

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DanCorb

Thanks to everyone's help here, I figured out what to do and I've been receiving some very quick responses.
    • I sent the €110 through AIB online banking on Wednesday the 9th.
    • The payment went through on Thursday the 10th, so I took a screenshot and uploaded my proof of payment.
    • A few hours later on the 10th, I received the email saying they received my proof of payment.
    • The next day, on Friday the 11th, I received the email saying my application has been sent to London.

I haven't had any long waiting times at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Snooz

Hi,

Myself and my boyfriend are in Canada on the U35 program and we have applied to the IEC for a second year.

We both sent off our forms on 1st February. My boyf has since been accepted and sent his payment and got the email to say it's onto the 2nd phase and on its way to London. All within 10 days of posting the application from Canada.

My application has not even been received yet in Paris. Should I be getting worried? I know there's no consistency as to how long you have to wait for an email from them, everyone seems to have a different story.

But my problem is if they don't receive it by next week, I will have to apply again. But my original police cert will be gone then. It was difficult enough to get an original police cert while living in Canada.

I'll just have to wait another few days and hope that I will hear something early next week. Maybe I should look into getting another original police cert in case my application goes missing?

Advertisement