Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jimmymorrison

I got refused on the first phase.Slap in the face.So start the whole procedure again seems like my best bet according to you guys?Will there be any complications do you reckon in applying again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I got refused on the first phase.Slap in the face.So start the whole procedure again seems like my best bet according to you guys?Will there be any complications do you reckon in applying again?

If you're rejected because you're ineligible you probably shouldn't apply again because you still won't be eligible.

If you were rejected because of incomplete information you can apply again.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Sheebs

Sheebs,
    Hi sounds like your doing what I am about to do, applied for my visa and just waiting for my medical now. What kind of jobs are you looking for?
    I'm looking for childcare jobs so if anyone has any avdive on that it would be great. So great that your boyfriend managed to get a job so fast.

I'm heading over with my boyfriend too, so any advice would be great, he works in business and IT.
    How did you decide where to live? did u stay in a hostel for a week or so first so you could see to places?

Thanks and good luck!

Hey luluslollypop. I'm looking for pretty much anything I can get but I'd love to do something along the lines of graphic design and print because that's what I did in college but I've no experience so not setting my expectations too high! Had an interview with my dream job in print place on Fri but just found out today I didn't get it, so back on the hunt again!

Also looking at office/admin work and applying to be store assistants, cashiers... everything and anything! It's strange because I thought I'd get a job in a clothes shop/coffee shop etc easily enough as I have a good few years customer serice experience but all the calls I've gotten have been for admin/office type jobs which I prob won't get because I have very little admin experience. Fingers crossed I get something by the weekend, 3 more interviews tomorrow (1 for a temp office job, 1 for a parts manufacturing call centre and the last for a spot in a sign&graphic making store). So after tomorrow I'll be after doing 8 interviews since I've got here 4weeks ago and I've sent out over 70 resumes at this stage. I spend all day on Craigslist, Workopolis, Jobsbank etc. Just have to keep hoping, and trying not to spend too much!

When I got here I stayed in a hotel on Granville and Nelson for 5nights (Comfort Inn), then moved around the corner to the Samesun Hostel on Granville for 7nights. That brought us right up to the 1st of Feb, and if you don't have a place sorted by the 1st of the month it seems you'll be stuck in the hostel for another month!!

We looked all over Craigslist all day every day, with a max budget of 1000 monthly so 500each. In the beginning we wouldnt even consider a place that wasn't furnished but the likelihood of getting anything furnished began so seem less and less likely the more we looked. In the beginning you'll be thinking 'A nice cheap furnished place in Kitsilano (lovely beachside area close to downtown)' but then you'll realise that if that's what you want you'll probably be forced to share a small place with strangers if you wanna stay within budget.

Anywhere goes with regards to living, except for the dodgy Downtown Eastside. Look at Craigslist etc, but also take a walk around the different areas and see where you'd like to live and what's available to you there. Many apartment blocks have vacancy signs stuck up outside the block and ringing around to different ones will give you an idea of the price range for the area.

I live in Metrotown, Burnaby. Some may say this is a fair bit out but I think it's great. 5mins for the giant Metropolis Shopping Centre, 10mins from the Skytrain (15-20mins to Downtown), 5mins from Safeway, 10mins from an off-license, lovely view of the mountains, close to Deer Lake Park and Central Park... The only pain has been trying to get home after a night on the beer downtown, 35bucks in a taxi back here if you miss the nightbus (finishes at 3.15), Skytrain finishes at 1.15 so that's not much good unless you head home early.

We had to settle with getting an unfurnished apartment for 907 per month including hot water. I never thought I would've had to go unfurnished and was adamant when I first started looking that this wouldn't be the case, but anything furnished and in our budget was seriously slim and no pickins haha. The place didn't even have a spoon. Landlord kindly gave us his crappy old school tv, does the job.

It's 2 weeks since we moved in and we almost have all our furniture, cutlery etc from a combination of buying used stuff from neighbours (bed, hoover) buying stuff in zellars (bed sheets, duvet, cutlery, kettle etc) and the best place ever to shop is the thrift store. We got a 3 piece suite for 150bucks and other stuff like coffee table, tv stand etc. Thrift stores located all over Vancouver, just ask around. All cost us around 500bucks, annoying but it had to be done. I wasn't going to wait around for a furnished place when it wasn't completely necessary.

It's all the luck of the draw though really, you could end up finding a class, cheap, furnished place! I know a couple who found a lovely furnished place right by the 29th Avenue Skytrain station (around 10mins for Downtown), for 850 a month. They got a washer and dryer and all. So you never know, but just be realistic and if you wanna get out of the hostel you'll likely take the best you see as soon as possible.

Sorry about the essay, let me know if you want to know anything else :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭louisejscott

Yep checked spam and everything no luck- I have it emailed to my work PC so if an email is blocked I get an email telling me its blocked- anyone got an email for France London no replying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 triona10

Does anyone know if you can pay the 110 by western union transfer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

triona10 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can pay the 110 by western union transfer?

I looked into this, and it seems you can only transfer to another Western Union outlet, not a bank

Really your only option is to go through the bank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 triona10

Cheers for that, was looking for an easy option as there is one right beside me

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Teebco

2 weeks down - 6 more to go! hopefully!
    I presume anyone who passed the first phase has heard nothing back yet on the visa being granted?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jeff33

Hi Teebco,

I'm in the same boat as you, mine was passed over to phase 2 in London 2 weeks ago & I haven't heard a word yet. Reading some of the posts going up, you get worried I'f there's something you left out or forgot to fill in. It's just a waiting game now & at this stage I'f I got refused I don't think you would have a chance in getting any of the remaining Visa's as you would be so far down the line. Did you get any Email's since your Application went to phase 2?

Best of luck Jeff.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Teebco

Jeff33 wrote: »
    Hi Teebco,

I'm in the same boat as you, mine was passed over to phase 2 in London 2 weeks ago & I haven't heard a word yet. Reading some of the posts going up, you get worried I'f there's something you left out or forgot to fill in. It's just a waiting game now & at this stage I'f I got refused I don't think you would have a chance in getting any of the remaining Visa's as you would be so far down the line. Did you get any Email's since your Application went to phase 2?

Best of luck Jeff.

Not heard anything since the email to say my application was going to UK which was 2 weeks ago today. Just a waiting game now as you say.
    I wonder what the reaons for refusal at this stage would be. It cant be for missing documents etc so I guess just doing back ground checks etc?

• Advertisement

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    If you're rejected because you're ineligible you probably shouldn't apply again because you still won't be eligible.

As i said above i got refused because i sent a photocopy of my 3 page IEC form instead of a second genuine copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 eire86

**** i sent mine off last wk wit the same 3page iec photocopy so mine will probley be rejected aswel.I only got 1 copy of my garda form aswel so ill havta apply for that again now to.I cant belive that it,ll probley be 2late to get 1 now after i get all the stuff together again:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 theajaxkid

eire86 wrote: »
    **** i sent mine off last wk wit the same 3page iec photocopy so mine will probley be rejected aswel.I only got 1 copy of my garda form aswel so ill havta apply for that again now to.I cant belive that it,ll probley be 2late to get 1 now after i get all the stuff together again:(
    Hi Eire86,

Why will you need a new Garda form? I'm fairly certain you'll be able to submit the same form when you get it back from the YMU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 eire86

Just got an email as i was typing the last msg saying it got refused and they will send all the documents back in the post plus the reason why and if theres still places i can reapply wit a new downloaded form.Didnt realise that thay send the garda form back so hopefully they have places left now.Im actually heartbroken over this:(

Just got an email as i was typing the last msg saying it got refused and they will send all the documents back in the post plus the reason why and if theres still places i can reapply wit a new downloaded form.Didnt realise that thay send the garda form back so hopefully they have places left now.Im actually heartbroken over this:(

So we are in the same boat:o,you should get all the documents in a few days,(I was waiting 3 days)while your waiting go to the iec website and enter your e-mail and get a new kit sent to you and just get cracking on it.You will only have to fill out the 3 page iec form again along with the checklist i think as the other forms should be alright to use again.Don't be too worried,I'm sure you will be celebrating your first night in Canada in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭den1982

Jeff33 wrote: »
    Hi Teebco,

Best of luck Jeff.

will you let us know when u hear get an e-mail....when do u think u would hear summit???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭gdmaestro

Still waiting to hear if mine has been sent to london...sent proof of payment 9 days ago....ITS SO FRUSTRATING! I feel like im taking part in the worlds hardest obstacle course!

rant over:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

tenchi-fan wrote: »

ah i see.. first phase hmmm.... ok so you got your application back yeah and got confirmation that is was your 3 page iec. copy of for second copy and nothing else yea. make sure you have your original police cert in it not a copy. and when your filing out 3 page iec.. print two copies out and fill them in twice. or you can fil some felids out by computer. and then the rest in pen. and make sure you have all the rest of the application forms in, declarations forms.education,employment, right years and months same as CV and all that.

no techi-fan it was his information. ..

Teebco wrote: »
    2 weeks down - 6 more to go! hopefully!
    I presume anyone who passed the first phase has heard nothing back yet on the visa being granted?

6 more days to go ?? how do you know this ...

eire86... did you have any writing on any feilds even for the second copy? and or any amendments in feilds... if you had some filed out, this is fine.

• Advertisement

TechnoPool wrote: »
    its a long shot at this stage, but ya havent got much to lose except for a few euro and ya never know

hey technopool.. hows you. you stil working away in canada. you at the stage of awaiting new for visa?..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

GGirl2010 wrote: »
    hey technopool.. hows you. you stil working away in canada. you at the stage of awaiting new for visa?..

yeah working away good times and decent money!! going great! just been snowboardin and playing football all the time pretty much , good times! Not looking for a second year visa as im going back to study end of the year!! really liking calgary

yeah working away good times and decent money!! going great! just been snowboardin and playing football all the time pretty much , good times! Not looking for a second year visa as im going back to study end of the year!! really liking calgary

oh very good!! sweet you managed to get away from study for while!! . ah oic. heading back.. yeah i geuss has to be done!! least you had a break . im graduate myself!! . so im free as a bird!! lol.. oh cool snowboarding!! lots of fun your havin!! i must undertake that as well as skiing... cant wait..:) . after your study sure you can always head back if you waned to.

technopool, just a qs, as regards the visa , your not up on the time frame for confirmation on second phase , from your previous experiences or no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭lillieme

göt my forms bk. apparently i ws missn declaration form. i know i def sent it. suspiciourg
    they lost it on me. explainin why i was accepted and dn suddenly
    rejected. gutted. reapplied so fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭jessible

hey im applying for the visa but im waiting on my passport back from the passport office... it wont be ready for collection until the 1st of March its taken forever..everything else is in oreder i know iv left it so late to apply getting panicky now. Fingers crossed i havent left it too late..

When filling out the form is it best to leave the areas that dont apply blank or should i type n/a. I know this is a stupid q but i just wana make sure my application is perfect as I dont want them sending it back.

jessible wrote: »
    hey im applying for the visa but im waiting on my passport back from the passport office... it wont be ready for collection until the 1st of March its taken forever..everything else is in oreder i know iv left it so late to apply getting panicky now. Fingers crossed i havent left it too late..

When filling out the form is it best to leave the areas that dont apply blank or should i type n/a. I know this is a stupid q but i just wana make sure my application is perfect as I dont want them sending it back.

You should ring the passport office to see maby the status of your passort.You could always go into them and pick it up,but passports normally dont take that long to receive in the post, about a week, but can be more if they have many more to sort out. no harm in ringing them up. Yes enter in N/A in all places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭jessible

You should ring the passport office to see maby the status of your passort.You could always go into them and pick it up,but passports normally dont take that long to receive in the post, about a week, but can be more if they have many more to sort out. no harm in ringing them up. Yes enter in N/A in all places.

Thanks! Ya i rang the passport office three times already but they cant speed up the process as ive no flights booked and no proof of travel. I explained to him that i was trying to apply for a visa but he said they couldnt do nething about it. Its so frustrating.. I just hope im not too late in applying

jessible wrote: »
    Thanks! Ya i rang the passport office three times already but they cant speed up the process as ive no flights booked and no proof of travel. I explained to him that i was trying to apply for a visa but he said they couldnt do nething about it. Its so frustrating.. I just hope im not too late in applying

ah ok.. well id say prob be ok. with march early march that is. do everything right and no errors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

technopool, just a qs, as regards the visa , your not up on the time frame for confirmation on second phase , from your previous experiences or no.

i used usit alas , so was really just one phase! i got my visa about 5 weeks after applying

stick with skiing or snowbaording, it'll be very pricey to do both and ya wont really get good at either if your starting from scratch:pac:

Advertisement