Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

Nope, you have to go through USIT unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amber23

hey there,

how do you know we have to go through usit? its just im finding it hard to believe that an entire country would only have one distributor for visas, there seems to be very mised reviews about this! did usit tell you that or have you been before?

thanks!

Because i got in touch with the canadian high commission before who were not interested in talking to me at all and just directed me to USIT!
    I believe go4less are going to be dealing wiht canadian visas as well for the 2010 period.

ah right ok,well thats that then!!

i spoke with USIT today they said last year was the only year the visas came out in December, that normally it's January or February, so i reckon we'll defo be waiting until the new year anyway! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

RayCarley wrote: »
    Myself and a few friends (Students) are planning on going out to Vancouver for the summer (3 months June to August). So I have been researching the whole Visa process and USIT seem to be getting so much bad press from everyone here (the long painful overpriced process), but is there actually any other way of getting a student work visa?

I saw a few threads ago talk of this Youth Mobility Programme, but has anyone actually been sucessful with this? I have to say I much prefer the sounds of the €95 fee, instead of the €489 USIT fee.

Otherwise, I guess the only option is to pay the €489 and then pay the extra €40 and book my own flights and insurance?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

You don't need the 489euro Visa thats the U35 Work Holiday and is for 12 months and for people who are'nt in college.

You need the student version not sure of the details but USIT will explain the difference don't apply for the U35 as you can get the student visa and then get the U35 another time which is great really.

• Advertisement

Yeh i figured as such. Not good news for me. I was hopign to be over there by March at the latest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

so between applying and all the rest of it, how long does it roughly take to get everything in order. a few months?

As far as I know ... (i was told by USIT) it takes the canadian high commission almost 6 weeks on average to process / give the go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dianababyddori

Hey!

I'm heading on the 8th of September to Toronto for a few hours wait for my flight to Edmonton where I hope to find a job. I've heard it's one of the best places for jobs at the moment so hope all goes well. I know Vancouver and Toronto are pretty much where everybody is heading, but does anybody know of anybody else heading to, or staying in less popular or more remote locations?

i know its a bit late posting this but yeah alberta is only the place really for jobs. i live in edmonton now 3 months and feckin love it.
    i go to colege here. theres loads of jobs but if ya really wanna make good money-> fort mac murray is the place to be up at the oil stations or whatever you call them but ive been told by so many people who work and live there that its awful place to live:confused::rolleyes:. wont get into detail. i dono but anyone going edmonton. its a nice ald city. good few irish people over here working..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Morning all. :)

Does anyone know what the restrictions are with regards to having arranged employment in Canada?

Is it strictly not allowed for the U35 USIT visa?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 irishguy34

i know its a bit late posting this but yeah alberta is only the place really for jobs. i live in edmonton now 3 months and feckin love it.
    i go to colege here. theres loads of jobs but if ya really wanna make good money-> fort mac murray is the place to be up at the oil stations or whatever you call them but ive been told by so many people who work and live there that its awful place to live:confused::rolleyes:. wont get into detail. i dono but anyone going edmonton. its a nice ald city. good few irish people over here working..:)

are courses expensive over ther?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

irishguy34 wrote: »
    are courses expensive over ther?

I did a six month course in BCIT and it cost $3000 plus another few hundred for books and supplies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 emmagail

irishguy34 wrote: »
    Colin,
    Is it difficult to get sponsorship or to stay longer?>
    whats the canadian women like are they into the old OIRISH crap?

cheers for info

Not really.... My wife is Canadian!!!!

Moondust wrote: »
    Hi , I'm arriving in Vancouver Dec 28th, Good place to look for a hostel is www.hostelworld.com...they have customer reviews along with a rating.
    Anyone any ideas for New years? or is it pretty tame compred to Ireland?

Moondust have u picked a hostel yet?

Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 de_chippie

Hi Folks,

My G.F and I are looking at moving to Canada next year. We don't qualify for the USIt visa (too old), so we are looking at the skilled working visa.

Would people recommend going the visa on their own or maybe going to a visa company? Would any one have a ball park price of the the whole process and any info time wise?

Thanks for your help.

De Chippie

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

de_chippie wrote: »
    Would any one have a ball park price of the the whole process and any info time wise?

Pricewise I dont have a clue, but the turnaround time for applications is something like 40 months according to the official stats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 icer79

Ok all - i arrive in Vancouver December 29 and would like to sort out accom asap - if you fancy sharing in one of the decent areas such as Kits, let me know.

Otherwise let me know what hostels you are staying in and we can grab a beer anyway !

does anyone know if there's any orientation sessions with USIT / SWAP ??

Dave

the under 35 programme opens on Jan 5th people, yey! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I just got the email there now.

I was planning on applying for the U35 programme but I think I now have to apply for the student programme because I graduated in the last 12 months.

Is this right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Zodiac12345

Can someone please post up the significant changes? I can't seem to access the page. My internet connection is perfect but when ever i hit the link it does not work. Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

icer79 wrote: »
    Ok all - i arrive in Vancouver December 29 and would like to sort out accom asap - if you fancy sharing in one of the decent areas such as Kits, let me know.

Otherwise let me know what hostels you are staying in and we can grab a beer anyway !

does anyone know if there's any orientation sessions with USIT / SWAP ??

Dave

Dave I am arriving on the 28th staying in the HI central Vancouver for 2 weeks here is my email drop me a line and we can have a chat
    michaelby1@gmail.com

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

This is all i can see

# New for 2010: In order to be considered eligible for this programme you cannot have been resident outside of the island of Ireland for more than a total duration of 4 years since turning 18.
    # New for 2010: Once your work authorisation document has been issued by the Canadian High Commission you will be considered by the Canadian government to be an official participant in the programme. If you cancel after this document is issued you will not be able to re-apply for future Under 35 programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Niamh84

Im annoyed that you have to pay for your flights and insurance in full 2 weeks after approval. I thought last year you had until August to pay for them. But maybe Im wrong. I was hoping for more time to get money together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭stlongs

I have nearly all the funds together, but like dceire I graduated in the last 12 months - In May. I just emailed USIT a min ago, probably won't get a reply until after Christmas... Very annoying though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Moondust

Hi mick...staying in the urban hideaway....Dave...you should have got an email from SWAP (canada equilivant to USIT) you need to drop them a line, and ask them to register you for the orientation. I have my next wednesday, (arriving the 28th). they give you a social security number so you can set up a bank account etc.

Happy travelling everyone & merry christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

stlongs wrote: »
    I have nearly all the funds together, but like dceire I graduated in the last 12 months - In May. I just emailed USIT a min ago, probably won't get a reply until after Christmas... Very annoying though!

I called them about this but the, as usual, knew nothing and told me to email them instead. I did this and discovered that this year you have to apply for the student programme if you graduated in the last 12 months. So yes you will have to apply for the student programme and not the U35 programme.

Not a huge difference between them from what i can gather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭stlongs

when they say once in a lifetime. If we do the student programme will we be allowed to do the U35 another year, because they are separate. That would be Awesome! I'm guessing probably not..

Moondust wrote: »
    Hi mick...staying in the urban hideaway....Dave...you should have got an email from SWAP (canada equilivant to USIT) you need to drop them a line, and ask them to register you for the orientation. I have my next wednesday, (arriving the 28th). they give you a social security number so you can set up a bank account etc.

Happy travelling everyone & merry christmas :)

Lads, I have my orientation on the 28th so hopefully c u there! I presume your BA flight to Van? If so I am on that one, maybe a scoop?
    I may be changing my hostel to urban so will keep you informed,

Merry Xmas guys heres to a new year in VC!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Hi there,

Heading to Vancouver next week and just wanted to know if anyone would consider sending me a copy of a Canadian Resume. I'm at home killing time and thought i'd have a go at it. The template's i've gotten from the net have all looked pretty crap. Maybe that is how they look but just wanted to see a real one.
    I remember hearing a lot that they had to be limited to 1 page, but on most of the resume builder sites on the net they suggest 1 to 2 pages.

Thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lonny

does anyone know once you get the visa can you travel for a few months before entering canada or do you have to fly straight there????

Advertisement