Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭niva*sis

zizuzid wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm a 28yr old guy from Kerry that's been living here for three years. I've noticed there is very little information available to people moving here so decided to set up a facebook page to assist Irish people with the move. From reading the forums from start to finish over the past week I'm pretty sure that everything is covered in one convenient facebook page

Check out "Moving to Vancouver", have a read and please feel free to leave comments and feedback as I would love to hear your views. It's far from being ready now, hence the low viewers, so I want some good feedback before spreading word to everyone. Please keep an eye on it as I hope to have it up and running by next week

Please 'like it' and tell your friends if you think it may be of help

Ruairi
    RuairiSpillane@gmail.com

thanks and "up the kingdom" :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I have a job, yeah. Took me about a month to find one. It's not too bad, I'm getting full-time hours but only earning 10 bucks an hour!

Loads of retail work available over here, but you really have to chase it down. Keep in touch with employers and pester them, otherwise you'll never even get a phone call back.

And speaking of phonecalls, you guys are going to be shocked at how awful mobile phone companies are over here. Absolute rip-off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 laura47

if you have a gmail account u can call usa or canada for free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭luluslollypop

laura47 wrote: »
    quick questions

1 when we get the letter of intr do we need a return flight or can we just book 1 way

2...also where is immigration for toronto is it in dublin like the us has 1 or actually toronto i want to fly direct with air transit

Hey Laura,
    I don't think you need a return flight but I think you will need to have a certin amount of money to support yourself if you don't.

Immigration is all in Canada there is none in Ireland!!!!

Thats what I think anyway!!!
    Hope that helps!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

if you have a gmail account u can call usa or canada for free

yeah gmail jsut got a new call feature on it. i mean would you be able to call peoples around canada and that . btw zapp for people to call us in canada for jobs and that , does our number have to have a code b4 it or what.. thanks

ggirl2010

• Advertisement

How about a skype phone number- if your online thats the cheapest way i think!! If your not online it will go straight to your voicemail and then wen you log back on you can hear the message! I think you still have to pay but i'm sure it'll be cheaper then their phone bills!!!!

GGirl2010 wrote: »
    yeah gmail jsut got a new call feature on it. i mean would you be able to call peoples around canada and that . btw zapp for people to call us in canada for jobs and that , does our number have to have a code b4 it or what.. thanks

ggirl2010

they had it last year aswel i always would call my cousin mobiles for hours in the usa it was great they renewed it again so its even better another year of free calls

i was using it the other day calling canadian numbers

Hey Laura,
    I don't think you need a return flight but I think you will need to have a certin amount of money to support yourself if you don't.

Immigration is all in Canada there is none in Ireland!!!!

Thats what I think anyway!!!
    Hope that helps!!!

thanks thats great

they had it last year aswel i always would call my cousin mobiles for hours in the usa it was great they renewed it again so its even better another year of free calls

i was using it the other day calling canadian numbers

reallly no way... what code is canada now. yeah i never tried it

in gmail on the left hand side theres a box saying chat click on it and then it will come up call phone click that then a box comes up with a keypad and at the left hand corner u pick the country u want so pick canada the code comes up and then just pop the number in and thats it:D

• Advertisement

in gmail on the left hand side theres a box saying chat click on it and then it will come up call phone click that then a box comes up with a keypad and at the left hand corner u pick the country u want so pick canada the code comes up and then just pop the number in and thats it:D

ah oic... ill try it out.. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17 johnyowen

hey does any know what happens with the medical. Do you get an email or a letter in the post regarding the date and time etc. Or do you get some sort or conditional acceptance and you have to arrange your own medical. Im wondering whether the people (like myself) who have opted to do the medical are at a disadvantage in the visa race because they've opted to do so.
    is anyone else really on edge because phase one was so quick and phase 2 seems to be taking 3 weeks plus. my own application was sent to london on the 2nd of feb.
    stressful stuff.

:cool:
    johnyowen wrote: »
    hey does any know what happens with the medical. Do you get an email or a letter in the post regarding the date and time etc. Or do you get some sort or conditional acceptance and you have to arrange your own medical. Im wondering whether the people (like myself) who have opted to do the medical are at a disadvantage in the visa race because they've opted to do so.
    is anyone else really on edge because phase one was so quick and phase 2 seems to be taking 3 weeks plus. my own application was sent to london on the 2nd of feb.
    stressful stuff.

no idea... i am in the medical form category!!!.. top of list... no word from uk yet now... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Roonbox

Snooz wrote: »
    Hi,

Myself and my boyfriend are in Canada on the U35 program and we have applied to the IEC for a second year.
    Hi Snooz, already in Canada, applying for our second year and just doing the paperwork now. Did you have to get the bank to stamp that letter to prove you have $3000 in your acc even though we are already set up?!!Its proving to be a major inconvenience and unnecessary!!Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Sheebs

Hey Zapp,
    is it a lot more expensive?? i heard beer was about 5 dollers. What is the story with Vodka and spirts??

Thanks

I've been surprised that I can get double Captains and coke for around $10 in downtown Vancouver!

Around 9 something in a pub (paid this in Lennox's on Robson and Granville), 10.25 in a nightclub on a Saturday night (The Venue, Granville St.) Then I'd usually tip $1 per drink on top of that.

This is cheap compared to Ireland where I'd pay around €15 for the same thing! So it's often cheaper for me to go on the spirits than pints/pitchers :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17 IrishinVan

Hey Man,

I've lived in Vancouver most of my life... if you need any help or advice drop me a message!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

Anybody know if there is much work in finance over there? Would there be companies that would allow you to study chartered accountancy with them etc? started studying in ireland but considering emmigrating

• Registered Users Posts: 21 maire61

Quiet today! :(

too quiet... i think girls making me go out on mad one this saturday .... mini buss to club for starters also ....singing at the open mic also... made get up.. :/

• Advertisement

too quiet... i think girls making me go out on mad one this saturday .... mini buss to club for starters also ....singing at the open mic also... made get up.. :/

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭den1982

maire61 wrote: »
    What?

girls im broke up....im sick of checkin my e-mail and nothing :mad::mad::mad: .... did any visas come out this week at all:eek:

den1982 wrote: »
    girls im broke up....im sick of checkin my e-mail and nothing :mad::mad::mad: .... did any visas come out this week at all:eek:

Yea I saw 2 mentioned yesterday and 3 earlier today on facebook. All quiet now though.

maire61 wrote: »
    Yea I saw 2 mentioned yesterday and 3 earlier today on facebook. All quiet now though.

looks like there swamped out of it in the uk office ....

i saw people on USITS fbook page that got theres today

Sheebs wrote: »
    I've been surprised that I can get double Captains and coke for around $10 in downtown Vancouver!

Around 9 something in a pub (paid this in Lennox's on Robson and Granville), 10.25 in a nightclub on a Saturday night (The Venue, Granville St.) Then I'd usually tip $1 per drink on top of that.

This is cheap compared to Ireland where I'd pay around €15 for the same thing! So it's often cheaper for me to go on the spirits than pints/pitchers :P

O cool thanks for that its good to know prices before I head over!! still waiting for the visa but in my mind i'm already there!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭den1982

looks like there swamped out of it in the uk office ....

they can be swamped all they want but they better send on mine one of the days b4 i have a nervous breakdown :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 IrishinVan

johnn wrote: »
    Anybody know if there is much work in finance over there? Would there be companies that would allow you to study chartered accountancy with them etc? started studying in ireland but considering emmigrating

Do you have your degree yet or still working on it? Your best bet would be Toronto or Vancouver and maybe even in Calgary (if you can handle the brutal winters in Alberta). Economy here is actually pretty strong globally right now and fared better than most. I'd start by looking into the Major Banks (CIBC, RBC, TD Canada Trust, BMO) and as well all the multinational companies that have offices here, I'm sure you'd have no problem finding what you're looking for here. Just be aware we're taxed to death in Canada and cost of living (Especially in Vancouver where I am)is quite high

im gone 3 weeks myself now... NO NEWS !!!... im half nervous half not.. i think i might join the girls sat night for a dance and a drink for a break....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

im gone 3 weeks myself now... NO NEWS !!!... im half nervous half not.. i think i might join the girls sat night for a dance and a drink for a break....

shenanigans??:D ha ha that place will make you forget your worries!:D

Advertisement