Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

For all that is seeking jobs in certain areas, here is a link on that is usefull if yall are interested... have fun...

http://www.international.gc.ca/about-a_propos/results-resultats.aspx?cx=007661858624964228382%3Az2cu4sbyz3i&cof=FORID%3A11%3BNB%3A1&ie=UTF-8&q=list+of+companies&sa=Search#1022

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 JoolsVan

I know I'm getting ahead of myself as my app is only at London stage, but what are people doing for insurance for the year if they get the acceptance letter. I'm over in Canada already on the IEC non-student from USIT last year and got the insurance through them then, but I'm not going to go back to Ireland if I get the new acceptance and I think you're supposed to be resident in Ireland for all the packages back home.. Any one else figure this one out? Cheers, J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

JoolsVan wrote: »
    I know I'm getting ahead of myself as my app is only at London stage, but what are people doing for insurance for the year if they get the acceptance letter. I'm over in Canada already on the IEC non-student from USIT last year and got the insurance through them then, but I'm not going to go back to Ireland if I get the new acceptance and I think you're supposed to be resident in Ireland for all the packages back home.. Any one else figure this one out? Cheers, J

If you're working you might be eligible for OHIP or whatever the equivalent is in other provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

Just realised I got my first email off them seven weeks ago yesterday!

January 24th my application arrived in Paris

They must have an answer for me soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cybrandian

DazzlerIE wrote: »
    Just realised I got my first email off them seven weeks ago yesterday!

January 24th my application arrived in Paris

They must have an answer for me soon :)

Mine was received in Paris on the 28th, so technically speaking you should get yours 4 days before me!!

• Advertisement

cybrandian wrote: »
    Mine was received in Paris on the 28th, so technically speaking you should get yours 4 days before me!!

Did yours take a stupid long time for them to acknowledge you'd paid the money? I think I paid mine On Feb 1st, and they didn't send it to London until the 9th

I'd have my letter and all if they'd been quicker :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 402 ✭✭C@non

Did yours take a stupid long time for them to acknowledge you'd paid the money? I think I paid mine On Feb 1st, and they didn't send it to London until the 9th

I bet you will receive it by the end of the week.. if not, next monday the latest!

people who are on the final stage and it was sent to the uk from the 2nd on, are starting to receive it this week.. mine was sent on the 11th so if timings are kinds of accurate it will arrive next week!

So hang in there and keep us all posted!

Yeah they received my payment on the 3rd, and sent it to London on the 9th. If that's the case so, we should probably get our news on the same day. Keep me posted!
    When are you planning to go?

Yeah they received my payment on the 3rd, and sent it to London on the 9th. If that's the case so, we should probably get our news on the same day. Keep me posted!
    When are you planning to go?

Have my date locked in in my head. Monday 30th May

Allows me to leave with a full months wages boosting my savings :)

and also flights seem to go up once you get into June

Heading to Ontario for a small holiday before I head back to Vancouver for my second year there

Flights to Toronto from Dublin are a pittance around then. Like 300 ish quid one way with Air Transat

Heading to Ontario for a small holiday before I head back to Vancouver for my second year there

Flights to Toronto from Dublin are a pittance around then. Like 300 ish quid one way with Air Transat

Nice one! I reckon it will be August at the earliest before I can go, still have debts to pay :-(
    Hoping to start out in Vancouver. So you have been there before?
    Hoping to get a half decent job, and have a decent lifestyle, heading over on my own though, so starting completely from scratch!
    How much do you reckon someone would need going over for the first time, with no accomodation or employment lined up in advance?

• Advertisement

I've done a year in Vancouver already, came back in October!

I'd recommend you bring around 5k to be safe. I got a job within ten days of landing last time, but it's a REALLY expensive city. I went through 5k of savings over the course of the year last time. But a lot of that was optional expenditure tbf, I went on two holidays!

I'm not trying to put you off the place, it's such an amazing city. I cant wait to go back

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭niva*sis

Anyone get the visa today???

seems to have been quite a few earlier!

There's no pattern to when they're giving them out, so they could come at any time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

niva*sis wrote: »
    Anyone get the visa today???

got it first thing this morning...was still weary about being ineligible due to being out of the country over the last few years but it was all temporary

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jeff33

My application is in phase 2 in London since the 8th of Feb. So hopefully I should hear something today or maybe by the end of the week. It's four weeks today. Does anyone know the situation on flights? Is it possible to go out on a one way ticket or do you have to have a return ticket?

Jeff33 wrote: »
    My application is in phase 2 in London since the 8th of Feb. So hopefully I should hear something today or maybe by the end of the week. It's four weeks today. Does anyone know the situation on flights? Is it possible to go out on a one way ticket or do you have to have a return ticket?

Just saw on the British ex-pats forum that some guy who was sent to London on Feb 8th got his LoI today

so you might be next!

dazzlerie.. im nervous.. im at your stage with visa dates... stil waiting. prob this week maby eeekkk... . i hope i get the visa yeah i plan to book for end of may.. as soon as i get word!!!... fingers crossed dazzler..

GGirl2010 wrote: »
    dazzlerie.. im nervous.. im at your stage with visa dates... stil waiting. prob this week maby eeekkk... . i hope i get the visa yeah i plan to book for end of may.. as soon as i get word!!!... fingers crossed dazzler..

ha, imagine one of us gets it and the other doesn't get it immediately!

Serious amount of worrying to be done then by one of us :)

Where you heading to? Van or Toronto?

Big group of you going?

ha, imagine one of us gets it and the other doesn't get it immediately!

Serious amount of worrying to be done then by one of us :)

Where you heading to? Van or Toronto?

Big group of you going?

going to toronto baby!!!!!.... if they give me a visa ... em nope.... no group... going on my own.. i know lots people over there going and some are going diff times , so there wil be people over there i know in the vicinity.... LOLZ.. em im just once i know about my visa i wil be applying to jobs straight away!! and there location. i think im jsut gona get shared accomadationz .. or hostel it to save moeny ugh i dont know how to go about this.. having a job sorted solves everything.

nervousssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

• Advertisement

going to toronto baby!!!!!.... if they give me a visa ... em nope.... no group... going on my own.. i know lots people over there going and some are going diff times , so there wil be people over there i know in the vicinity.... LOLZ.. em im just once i know about my visa i wil be applying to jobs straight away!! and there location. i think im jsut gona get shared accomadationz .. or hostel it to save moeny ugh i dont know how to go about this.. having a job sorted solves everything.

I know enough people over there at this stage that I can couch surf until I get my own place :)

Was part of the attraction of going back, that I'd done the hard work and knew my way around!

Could also probably get my old job back if I wanted, but that would be a last resort!

Getting nervous here, not a tap of work getting done

I've done a year in Vancouver already, came back in October!

I'd recommend you bring around 5k to be safe. I got a job within ten days of landing last time, but it's a REALLY expensive city. I went through 5k of savings over the course of the year last time. But a lot of that was optional expenditure tbf, I went on two holidays!

I'm not trying to put you off the place, it's such an amazing city. I cant wait to go back

Sound out! 5k is the absolute max I will have by the time I go. What line of work were you in while in Vancouver for the year?

I'd say we will surely hear back on the visa by the end of next week, I haven't heard of anyone being declined at the second phase?

dazzler do you have a job here??? ..... in ireland?? .. em yeah not sure about refusal on second phase... em did any of you have any errors posibly???

Sound out! 5k is the absolute max I will have by the time I go. What line of work were you in while in Vancouver for the year?

I'd say we will surely hear back on the visa by the end of next week, I haven't heard of anyone being declined at the second phase?

I was working in HMV for the year. Couldn't get graduate jobs in media, but I've built up a few contacts there in the meantime and I'm hoping one of them will come through for me this time out!

Like you'd be grand on less than 5k tbh, I'm just a worrier and like to have a bit of extra

dazzler do you have a job here??? ..... in ireland?? .. em yeah not sure about refusal on second phase... em did any of you have any errors posibly???

Yup, got back in October and was working full-time again by the start of November, have been saving since 1st of Jan!

I was working in HMV for the year. Couldn't get graduate jobs in media, but I've built up a few contacts there in the meantime and I'm hoping one of them will come through for me this time out!

Like you'd be grand on less than 5k tbh, I'm just a worrier and like to have a bit of extra

well yeah the more money the better!!!!... im saving my asss offff... em yeah takes a while to get a job. few weeks of that.. and yeah i think sometimes ti does depend on the major one studied. i think i wil be ok now with my major but saying that, it wil be hard seen that i am graduate with no experience so yeah im bringing lots lots of money, to back me up. but when i get there i will gladly work in retal/book stores/admin be nice job also. theyd prob want admin exp lolz.. well i have admin fetac course done . anyway im just gona go for it !!! see how i get on. ill apply with bucket loadz and freak when i get there hahhahaha....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 JoolsVan

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    If you're working you might be eligible for OHIP or whatever the equivalent is in other provinces.

Thanks for that. I'll have a look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭den1982

when do u think ur goin out?? myself and my buddy are thinking of goin the end of this month thou cos work is so scarce...we are headin for the Canadiana Backpackers Inn hostel.meant to be nice, has a cinema and do pub crawls and stuff....:) 6 female dormer for 3 nites is $81. so thats not bad.and we will look for a house to share straight away but what we can gather,most irish aint goin out til may/june kinda...:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭den1982

Hey everybody, if your moving to Toronto & looking for a place to stay please get in touch. I'm here 3 years now & my wife & i have rooms to rent in our house. Its a newly renovated house with all mod cons including WiFi internet, cable tv, laundry, etc. Theres a pool in the back, (the summer here is a roaster), which you can use. We can pick you up at the airport if required, & have lots of work contacts to help get you started.
    You can stay here as long as you want & there is no lease. PM me if you need to know more. Thanks.
    what area do ye live in??

• Advertisement

den1982 wrote: »
    when do u think ur goin out?? myself and my buddy are thinking of goin the end of this month thou cos work is so scarce...we are headin for the Canadiana Backpackers Inn hostel.meant to be nice, has a cinema and do pub crawls and stuff....:) 6 female dormer for 3 nites is $81. so thats not bad.and we will look for a house to share straight away but what we can gather,most irish aint goin out til may/june kinda...:o:o

EM im defo booking in stone for the end of may/june... em well im stil nervous and awating visa den1982.. so i have to look at where i am going to go.. then , oic.. ill look into canadian backpackers inn and or i might think about going straight too shared accomadation.... :confused::confused::confused:

Advertisement