Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Birdster

DazzlerIE wrote: »
    I've done a year in Vancouver already, came back in October!

I'd recommend you bring around 5k to be safe. I got a job within ten days of landing last time, but it's a REALLY expensive city. I went through 5k of savings over the course of the year last time. But a lot of that was optional expenditure tbf, I went on two holidays!

I'm not trying to put you off the place, it's such an amazing city. I cant wait to go back

Dazzler when you say 5k, you talking Euro or CAD?

GGirl2010 wrote: »
    EM im defo booking in stone for the end of may/june... em well im stil nervous and awating visa den1982.. so i have to look at where i am going to go.. then , oic.. ill look into canadian backpackers inn and or i might think about going straight too shared accomadation.... :confused::confused::confused:

I was just wondering on hostels myself, is that the one most stay in? Tho I'll be months behind everyone else, September is my month of departure. Canadian Backpackers Inn.......I haven't heard back from visa yet, mine is in London since 18th Feb but I see some are there longer so I'll cool the jets a while, this is nervewracking stuff!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

Birdster wrote: »
    Dazzler when you say 5k, you talking Euro or CAD?

Euro

Like I said, it's perfectly possible to bring less and get by just fine, I brought BY FAR the most out of my mates, and they were all grand

5 sets you up to chill out a bit more, and get loads of activities in, and also not have to scrimp!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bugle

Hey,

Does anyone know of any good pubs to watch teh six nations? Ill be in Toronto for teh next 2 weeks and i dont want to miss out.

Bugle

Another day checking the mails :)

Today is the day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

Another day checking the mails :)

Today is the day!

yes ... another day is right... today is the day for what ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

any winners yet??:D:D hope yous get it today:D

yes ... another day is right... today is the day for what ...

for some positive thinking!

Those mails are coming today, I can sense it :)

Four weeks today! We can't be far off

haha.. yeah.. idk.. i mean would mine be affected if i need a medical, or do i stil need to know if i hav am eligible for one....

haha.. yeah.. idk.. i mean would mine be affected if i need a medical, or do i stil need to know if i hav am eligible for one....

I'd say they'll send you the info with the LoI

Nobody online has made it clear what the story is with medicals yet though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 johnyowen

me my my girlfriend both applied the exact same time. both our applications were sent to london on the 3rd of february. She recieved her letter of introduction monday but ive heard nothin yet. I opted to do the medical while she didnt. up until now we got news of every phase at the exact same time so i reckon i will get news of the medical in the post this week. im guessing its in the post and not email or i would have heard already. has anyone heard anything about the medical yet? its kinda starting to annoy me now!

ok so i take it no one has been accepted yet thats needs a medical done .. so far...

johnyowen wrote: »
    me my my girlfriend both applied the exact same time. both our applications were sent to london on the 3rd of february. She recieved her letter of introduction monday but ive heard nothin yet. I opted to do the medical while she didnt. up until now we got news of every phase at the exact same time so i reckon i will get news of the medical in the post this week. im guessing its in the post and not email or i would have heard already. has anyone heard anything about the medical yet? its kinda starting to annoy me now!

well full total time is 8 WEEKS... so far prob has been 6 weeks. and for medical idk prob would need to wait more :/:// :/

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Swingingdoor

Hey!

Was just wondering how you get your money across with you. Can you withdraw from Canadian ATMs when you arrive? I have the maestro card with AIB, will that do?

Hey!

Was just wondering how you get your money across with you. Can you withdraw from Canadian ATMs when you arrive? I have the maestro card with AIB, will that do?

I found this to be a bit of a problem last year

I just kept all my money in my BoI account here. But I didn't realise for a while I was getting charged 9 quid per two transactions or something mental like that

So any time I used my atm card I had to withdraw my maximum to make it worthwile

Going to look into travellers cheques or something like that this time out

I just kept all my money in my BoI account here. But I didn't realise for a while I was getting charged 9 quid per two transactions or something mental like that

So any time I used my atm card I had to withdraw my maximum to make it worthwile

^^^^^^^ easy to get misslaid, robbed for cheques......

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jeff33

Hi guys,

I had a look into getting your money over to Canada & saw that keeping your money in an Irish Account & withdrawing it when you need it will end up costing a fair few quid. If you open a Canadian Bank Account & set up Internet Banking with them you can just do a wire tranfer of all your Euros straight into Canadian Dollars & they charge $15 Dollars per 1,000 Euros transfered. I think thats the route I will be using.

Hope this helps.

Jeff.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cybrandian

Jeff33 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I had a look into getting your money over to Canada & saw that keeping your money in an Irish Account & withdrawing it when you need it will end up costing a fair few quid. If you open a Canadian Bank Account & set up Internet Banking with them you can just do a wire tranfer of all your Euros straight into Canadian Dollars & they charge $15 Dollars per 1,000 Euros transfered. I think thats the route I will be using.

Hope this helps.

Jeff.

Is there a charge on using the Visa Debit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jeff33

I think there is a charge on using a Visa Debit Card. I'f your Debit Card is Issued here in Ireland & your going to use it in Canada. They will charge you on each transaction or withdrawl a fee of around 1.50 & then on top of that you will charge the conversion rate to automatically change your Euros to Canadian Dollars. So I would I'f you can move your money over to a Canadian Account. I'm planning on doing the same & they will issue you with a Canadian Credit Card within a month, as they are eager for new arrivals to get a Credit History. Once you have the Canadian Credit Card you can use it knowing your not being charged for foreign exchange conversions & only being charged a flat yearly fee.

Check out some of the Canadian Banks websites as they have alot of Information about new arrivals & setting up Bank & Credit Card Accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭can2011

Has anyone else received their LOI??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭luluslollypop

johnyowen wrote: »

I'm waiting for my medical and introduction letter too and i am delighted that you are in same boat so plz keep us updated!!
    I applied with my boyfriend and everything has been at the same time so far but we're still waiting !!!! Can't wait to hear more Johnyowen!!!!!!

I'm waiting for my medical and introduction letter too and i am delighted that you are in same boat so plz keep us updated!!
    I applied with my boyfriend and everything has been at the same time so far but we're still waiting !!!! Can't wait to hear more Johnyowen!!!!!!

does your bf have to have a medical... omg im so nervous you guys....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭luluslollypop

No he doesn't. just me so i think it'll be another whild for me!!! I know I hate waiting.................. you have to do a medical too right????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭can2011

Did you get yours? Are you in Canada?

can2011 wrote: »
    Did you get yours? Are you in Canada?

Still waiting on my LoI

Was in Canada, got back in October

Still waiting on my LoI

Was in Canada, got back in October

id say friday... or to be mean next week!!! ... monday dazzler... ugh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 JoolsVan

When I arrived here last year, I put my Irish credit card into credit of a grand and I could top this up using banking online (which apart from internet cafe fees is free!). As long as your card is in credit, you can access the cash through foreign ATMs that have the Visa/Mastercard logos on them and not be charged a use fee! I was definitely able to take money out using BMO atms and wasn't charged at all anyway!

I agree with setting up a Canadian account asap too though as you need one for when your getting paid.. also for getting a Canadian credit card and therefore credit history in the country. I set up with CIBC. They all charge you monthly rates for accounts here. So I went with the cheapest of the cheap as I hadn't got a job yet ($3.90 per month). Thing with this one is that if you are able to get $1000 and keep it in it the whole time, the montly fee is waived. You only get 10 free transactions though, so that can be a pain. Means if you do take money out, I take out the max $500 and try not to spend it all at once... only 64c per transaction after the 10 though... ****, I'm starting to sound like a sales person for the bank.. Anyway, that's what I did if that helps anyone out there... Other banks have their own deals, I happened to do it this way.

Now here's hoping I get my second IEC so I don't have to leave!

:) j

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 RyanNolan

On the Garda Police Certificate it says you must fill in the embassy reference number. Where do i find this??

RyanNolan wrote: »
    On the Garda Police Certificate it says you must fill in the embassy reference number. Where do i find this??

All I did was write down all my addresses on the letter requesting a police cert and included a copy of my passport etc. I didn't have to put in any embassy reference number, and I've cleared the first phase. Hmmm....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

RyanNolan wrote: »

It didn't say that on mine.

However, you could always use the 5-digit ID from your download cert.

Advertisement