Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭can2011

bugle wrote: »
    Hey,

Does anyone know of any good pubs to watch teh six nations? Ill be in Toronto for teh next 2 weeks and i dont want to miss out.

Bugle

Hey going to Tor too and my bfriend also interested in watching. Let me know if you find somewhere decent

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jeff33

My letter of Introduction officially came through today. It came into my Inbox this morning at 11.00a.m. I was at 4 weeks in phase 2 in London from the 8th of February. So from what I can see, the applications are being granted after about roughly 4 weeks in London. I hope everybody else in around 4 weeks in phase 2 gets some good news in today. Best of luck to everyone. I hope to see you all out in Canada in the coming months.:D;):rolleyes::)

Jeff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭gdmaestro

me either! its so frustrating!

do you know do we get the medical info through email or post?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 yipyip

Just getting my forms printed. As I am down town what else would you recommend me to get done...perhaps police cert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭gdmaestro

congrats jeff!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

Jeff33 wrote: »
    My letter of Introduction officially came through today. It came into my Inbox this morning at 11.00a.m. I was at 4 weeks in phase 2 in London from the 8th of February. So from what I can see, the applications are being granted after about roughly 4 weeks in London. I hope everybody else in around 4 weeks in phase 2 gets some good news in today. Best of luck to everyone. I hope to see you all out in Canada in the coming months.:D;):rolleyes::)

Jeff.

4 weeks 3 days!!! ... same as few others on here

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

yipyip wrote: »
    Just getting my forms printed. As I am down town what else would you recommend me to get done...perhaps police cert?

you need to have aplied for the police cert takes ..... few weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bphilis

My application went for the second evaluation phase to the Canadian Embassy in London on 24/2/11. They sent me an email then to say it could take up to 6 weeks to let me know if I was sucessful.
    Did anyones take any less time than that?
    I have flights reserved for 18th May, and I have to book them by April 10th so its cutting it fairly tight!
    The USIT rep I was talking to on the phone told me it was 780euro for my flights and travel insurance. Could that be right?
    All this talk about people paying 400 odd quid for travel insurance is worrying. Money is tight enough as it is!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 402 ✭✭C@non

well they told me that flight alone were over 1,000 euro.. i booked them my self and it was only 450!!

i don't think you need travel insurance its medical insurance you need!

Careful what you book, get only what you need as i think this is were they make their money!

All that talk about we save you 300 euro is boloni!! i paid the 299 euro for the second option and when i phoned up to inform about bout flights they asked me if i wanted to change to the first option were i would save money on flights etc..
    i told them how are you saving me money when it would cost me more than double?? she put me on hold and then said its a busy time and fare's were high... ehhhhh BS! shop around before you pay anyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Niamh_Cush

wish I knew more about the medical!I know there are two places in Dublin and one in Cork but don't know whether they just assign us a date and time or whether we have to do it! Will be grand once we have more details I'm sure.... fingers crossed :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭lillieme

Im the same application n london two wks nw. Iv to get medical dne too. What kind of work u höpin to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cybrandian

Hey All,

Got my letter of introduction today. It was sent to London on 9th February, so that should give ye all some indication of the timelines involved.

Relief isn't the word! Won't be going until August, but at least I can focus on the saving and the flights now ;-)

Best of luck everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Mouse1

This is my second tme around and cannot wait to get back to Canada!! Spent a year in Toronto and I'm going to head for Nova Scotia this time!

My application was received in France on the 16th Feb and all has been smooth so far. It was sent to London on the 22nd and I'm just waiting to hear about the medical. I've seached the internet to see what's involved but can't find anything!

Does anyone know what the medical involves/done one before??

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

The medical is only for people trying to work in child care or am I missing something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Mouse1 wrote: »
    This is my second tme around and cannot wait to get back to Canada!! Spent a year in Toronto and I'm going to head for Nova Scotia this time!

My application was received in France on the 16th Feb and all has been smooth so far. It was sent to London on the 22nd and I'm just waiting to hear about the medical. I've seached the internet to see what's involved but can't find anything!

Does anyone know what the medical involves/done one before??

Thanks!!

is it that good mouse??:D was thinkin about nova scotia meself

The medical is for anyone who is looking to work in the Health sector, teach young adults etc etc!

It's seriously good!! Spent a few days in Halifax at the end and thought it was much, much nicer than Toronto!! Toronto was great but the people were much friendlier in Nova Scotia and it's not as massive as Toronto so easier to get around etc. This is where I plan to start this time around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Shine7

5 weeks today since getting my email saying my application was gone to London and still no word. Seems those of us getting medicals are being left the longest.

The medical is for anyone who is looking to work in the Health sector, teach young adults etc etc!

It's seriously good!! Spent a few days in Halifax at the end and thought it was much, much nicer than Toronto!! Toronto was great but the people were much friendlier in Nova Scotia and it's not as massive as Toronto so easier to get around etc. This is where I plan to start this time around!

might take a trip in that direction so :D do you know what the work situation is like there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭lillieme

Any1. lookn at wrkn n childcare r teachn?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Shine7

I'm hoping to go into childcare once over there but have yet to find anyone on boards that has been working in it in Canada that could answer any questions about it! :confused:

• Advertisement

I think it'll probably be better than Toronto. This is my main reason for going East. Plus the weather was much nicer! Last Summer in Toronto was hot, sticky an humid and some days were unbareable. You forget you're so far inland!

Seems most Irish go staight to Toronto and jobs like working in a shop, in a bar, building or office work can be hard to find unless you know someone who may be able to help you out. If you're going to Toronto, join the Irish Association of Toronto, go to the meetings and meet other Irish people who may be able to help you out. I worked in an office for most of my year in Toronto and got the job through a temp agency. Got lucky as the company offered to take me on full-time.

People who came to Toronto in Summer found it hard to find a job and generally headed off to another city.

im not to pushed on big cities kinda been there done that! thinking of heading somewere smaller edmonton,calgary,halifax somewere friendly with a good nightlife also.lets face it cities are cities no matter were you go might as well stay in dublin. you going to try and stay this time??

True. People are definitely friendlier and more open in the smaller cities!

I'd love to but it's really hard to get an extension on a visa so I doubt I'll be able to unless I get a job where there is a shortage of qualified peole or move to Saskatoon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Niamh_Cush

I'm planning to do physio will be months before I'll be able to work at it when I get over there coz we have loads of registration work to do etc but hoping to get physio assistant work ideally will do anything in the meantime tho. I haven't heard of how anyone goes about getting into childcare or teaching tbh so haven't a notion how you'd go about it :confused:

True. People are definitely friendlier and more open in the smaller cities!

I'd love to but it's really hard to get an extension on a visa so I doubt I'll be able to unless I get a job where there is a shortage of qualified peole or move to Saskatoon!

have you no skill? i heard about that place might aswell be in siberia.think it has to do with luck to in finding an employer whos willing to apply for lmo for you.thats another reason for going to smaller places probably more of a skills shortage.at least you can apply for another year after this:D

I do indeed have a skill, hence the medical this year.

The LMO is tricky. It's not just about your employer submitting a favourable LMO. The Canadian Government generally refuse them on the basis that there are qualified Canadians who can do the job. I don't think I know anyone who applied and had the extension approved.

I didn't really think about it last year because I didn't qualify working in an office but if another year is approved, I think I'll try to extend this year!

I do indeed have a skill, hence the medical this year.

The LMO is tricky. It's not just about your employer submitting a favourable LMO. The Canadian Government generally refuse them on the basis that there are qualified Canadians who can do the job. I don't think I know anyone who applied and had the extension approved.

I didn't really think about it last year because I didn't qualify working in an office but if another year is approved, I think I'll try to extend this year!

might look into that provincial nominee program thing,though i think you need a positive lmo with that too.

Probably! I think most visa extensions rely on the positive LMO. I went to one of those Irish Association meetings where the Chamber of Commerce gave a talk and they seemed to think that your best chance of staying was going to and settling in Sasketchwan as there's a major skills shortage there. But, it's so far away and it doesn't look very appealing!!

I have no idea about the Provincial Nominee Programme. I haven't looked in to anything like that at all!! Before I make any plans, I need to hear back about that medical first!! I don't think Ireland is where I want to be though! That much I do know...Here's hoping I can get back to Canada before the end of April, ahead of the masses!

Probably! I think most visa extensions rely on the positive LMO. I went to one of those Irish Association meetings where the Chamber of Commerce gave a talk and they seemed to think that your best chance of staying was going to and settling in Sasketchwan as there's a major skills shortage there. But, it's so far away and it doesn't look very appealing!!

I have no idea about the Provincial Nominee Programme. I haven't looked in to anything like that at all!! Before I make any plans, I need to hear back about that medical first!! I don't think Ireland is where I want to be though! That much I do know...Here's hoping I can get back to Canada before the end of April, ahead of the masses!

ah the place has gone to hell dont think i'll be back this time. the pnp is like the state say alberta sponsors you but you have to settle in that place if they think you'll move they wont do it for you.skilled and semi-skilled people can stay this way

• Advertisement

I've never been to Alberta but if there's a chance you can stay in Canada, do it! Food for thought! I think Alberta has the highest minimum wage too.

There's also applying to a University. The Canadian Government will give you a work visa if you finish a course of study for a minimum of 1 year and you have the opportunity to get 2 years skilled work under your belt! It's 10,000 for 1 year if you're a foreign student though. Expensive so probably not an option for most of us!!

It depends on what you want really. I just fell in love with Halifax and regretted not visiting sooner. I probably would have left Toronto and gone there instead!

You've obviously been before too?? If so, where??

Advertisement