Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭can2011

useded wrote: »
    Hi guys.

My girlfriend and myself are in the process of applying for the visa through the Canadian embassy. We really are just going for the Summer, but we want to work at the same time. What would be the best way to do this does anybody know? Or are we too late in trying to sort anything out for this Summer? We really can't get info from ANYBODY and it is starting to get quite frustrating..

Thank you in advance.

My friend also wants to come over for just the summer to work, can you please let me know if you find out anything as she is finding it quite difficult, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 BethQ

I hear the quota for 2011 is only 5000 visas! :confused: mine went to london 28th Feb! panic stations! anyone know any different?! please say theres thousands more than that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭lillieme

Höpe so. Im stil waiting to hear back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 innocentsmile

Complete panic now.
    Applied to USIT in January for the basic package [i.e. I book my own flights].
    Missed it by a few days and was put on the list at like 110ish.
    Things were moving pretty swiftly at the start and I got down to number 9. I've been stuck there for a month now.
    On the 18th of February [I was at number 19] I was offered a place only if I would book my flights with USIT but when I decided to wait for the programme I originally selected I was put back on the list. I haven't heard anything since.
    My friend who's further back has moved up like 100 places.
    Emailed them and was told that 'there have been no cancellations on that Option' so she can't offer me a place. And that I should maybe apply to the CHC. At the end of March??

Half tempted to just scrap the flight I've bought and say I'll change to their programme. It's cutting it so tight :(

Any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭luluslollypop

Ok timmyboy you are all our only source of infor so- cant wait to hear about it!!

When did your application arrive in London? Just so we can compare our dates!!!!

Thanks a bunch!!!

• Advertisement

BethQ wrote: »
    I hear the quota for 2011 is only 5000 visas! :confused: mine went to london 28th Feb! panic stations! anyone know any different?! please say theres thousands more than that!!

Why are you panicking? Yours is in London so you are going to get it in the next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 BethQ

just worrying at the rate that are being accepted that they may run out! 5000 is nothing compared to the amount of people i reckon have applied since 18th Jan. Hope you are right though! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 gra111

Hi, whats the cheapest insurance for the working holiday visa people have been buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 3rdman

Folks,

At what stage of the process do you get your SSN? Do you have to apply when you arrive? Do you need a permanent address to apply?

Thanks again for any answers. I'm finding this forum very helpful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 timmyboy83

lillieme wrote: »
    How long was ur application in london before u got form for medical?

hey, my app has being in the UK since Feb 2
    i think its a bit of a lottery, some people have been lucky and had their visas issued quicker than others
    hopefully ye will hear soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

3rdman wrote: »
    Folks,

At what stage of the process do you get your SSN? Do you have to apply when you arrive? Do you need a permanent address to apply?

Thanks again for any answers. I'm finding this forum very helpful!

You apply for the Sin once you're over and you've been issued with the work permit

If you don't have a permanent address when applying I believe you can use the SWAP office as your address

Worth noting that if you opt to re-apply for the second year, you'll need to get a new SIN. I have one, but I'm 99% sure I'll need a new one when I got back. The ones that begin with 9 are only good for one year's use (if I remember correctly)

BethQ wrote: »
    just worrying at the rate that are being accepted that they may run out! 5000 is nothing compared to the amount of people i reckon have applied since 18th Jan. Hope you are right though! :)

I'd say they're ticking off the numbers in Paris

Once you've been sent to London you're Graaaaaaand

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I was thinking about the USIT program, if I applied through USIT to get the current Canadian work visa but did not pay for the flights, would my application still go through to the Embassy in Paris ok? What if you paid the 299 euro comprehensive package, is there a stipulation in the terms and conditions that you have to book flights with them too to not cancel the application? Questions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Augmerson wrote: »
    I was thinking about the USIT program, if I applied through USIT to get the current Canadian work visa but did not pay for the flights, would my application still go through to the Embassy in Paris ok? What if you paid the 299 euro comprehensive package, is there a stipulation in the terms and conditions that you have to book flights with them too to not cancel the application? Questions...

you missed out on usit. you'll have to wait until next January to apply.
    They had two options, one where you book flights through them, and the other where you just use them to apply for the visa. I'd imagine if you chose the option to book flights through them, then decided to cancel, you'd lose your visa too. Read the T&Cs on usit.ie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I did book with USIT, with the comprehensive package where I have to book flights too. I do want to go to Canada but don't think I'll raise enough money this year, so I think next year I will have enough,

gra111 wrote: »
    Hi, whats the cheapest insurance for the working holiday visa people have been buying?

Is anyone already in Canada and trying to get the insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Lemmings

DazzlerIE wrote: »
    You apply for the Sin once you're over and you've been issued with the work permit

If you don't have a permanent address when applying I believe you can use the SWAP office as your address

Worth noting that if you opt to re-apply for the second year, you'll need to get a new SIN. I have one, but I'm 99% sure I'll need a new one when I got back. The ones that begin with 9 are only good for one year's use (if I remember correctly)

Info on applying and renewing SIN numbers:

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/apply/expiry.shtml
    http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/apply/how.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Hurtzington

theres lots of good info on here, taken me ages to find this site!

I sent off my application pack about 2 weeks ago now. Within 3 days i was asked for the payment, then a further 3 days later i was told that phase 1 was now complete. the very first letter i received said that my total processing time was 6 weeks. it has been just over 2 weeks so far, and all im waiting on is for my letter of introduction to come through now.

Have many people received their visas so far? and did every1 have to wait the full processing time, or did any1 get theirs early?

it just seems such a long process!

be very grateful for any information! thanks

theres lots of good info on here, taken me ages to find this site!

I sent off my application pack about 2 weeks ago now. Within 3 days i was asked for the payment, then a further 3 days later i was told that phase 1 was now complete. the very first letter i received said that my total processing time was 6 weeks. it has been just over 2 weeks so far, and all im waiting on is for my letter of introduction to come through now.

Have many people received their visas so far? and did every1 have to wait the full processing time, or did any1 get theirs early?

it just seems such a long process!

be very grateful for any information! thanks

welcome aboard mate :)

My total processing time was given as eight weeks. Eight weeks to the day after it was received in Paris, I got my LoI

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

timmyboy83 wrote: »
    hey, my app has being in the UK since Feb 2
    i think its a bit of a lottery, some people have been lucky and had their visas issued quicker than others
    hopefully ye will hear soon :)

Hi timmyboy, you have been waiting almost the full 8 weeks from the dates above , :/ ... how did you get on with the medical form , id say either this week or next week i hope to get it . I take it the LOI. letter of introduction does not get sent out until after they check the med form yeah ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 eire86

Jeff33 wrote: »
    You can travel out on a 1 way ticket. It states on the Canadian Site that you can go out on a 1 way ticket as long as you can prove that you have sufficient funds to book a return flight If you need to. I attended the Working Expo in Cork last week & the Under 35 Canadian Experience were there. I asked them about travelling out on a 1 way ticket & they said that was totally fine as its hard to book a 12 month return flight online. Plus they understand that you will be staying in Canada for 12 months working so the return ticket is not relevant & you might apply to stay on a further 12 months after the first year so you can see why they are not interested in your return date. I got my Visa last week & I booked a 1 way flight to Toronto for Mid July. So there's no problem. Bite the bullet & book!

Best of luck,

Jeff.
    Sound for that mate sounds alright then.How much did you get tour flights for in july??

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jeff33

Hi Eire86,

I got a one way flight from Shannon to Toronto Direct with airtransit on the 12th of July for E595.00. I'd say once you have received your letter of Introduction, book your flights straight away as they are going up all the time. From looking around the fares start to jump in price from Mid June till Mid Sept, so anytime before or after that you could get a flight out for about E400.00. Hope that helps.

Jeff.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Eire09

thanks m8

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

:/ ... i want to BOOK!!! i have done my shopping i know what flight company and insurance company im going to go for :D:D:D.. now all i need is my visa...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭louisejscott

Just got my letter of introduction...so happy...Canada here I come. Time to book flights and sort insurance...anyone had any luck with insurance??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Hurtzington

DazzlerIE wrote: »
    welcome aboard mate :)

My total processing time was given as eight weeks. Eight weeks to the day after it was received in Paris, I got my LoI

cheers mate.

anyone else got their visa bang on time or earlier/later?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭louisejscott

I was waiting just over 4.5 weeks from when my application was sent to London so all those people worrying....honestly I reckon once you get to the London stages your fine. Also my boyfriend applied at the exact same time as me and got his letter 3 weeks ago so there doesn't appear to be any consistency.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Not_Too_Xabi

Hey Louise, Below is from the FAQ in IEC website;

What type of insurance must I subscribe to before leaving for Canada?
    You must have and maintain insurance for the entire duration of your stay in Canada. Your insurance policy must cover you for:
    -Health care, hospitalization and repatriation;
    -The Canadian territory (the policy should specify North America, Canada/USA or worldwide);
    -The entire duration of your stay in Canada

I got the following from a multitrip.com rep;
    Health care, Hospitalization and Repatriation: under section B number 5 page 6 of our policy Emergency Medical and Other Expenses policy wording as follows: With the prior authorization of the Emergency Assistance Service, the additional cost incurred in the use of air transport or other suitable means, including qualified attendants, to repatriate you to your home if it is medically necessary. Repatriation expenses will be in respect only of the identical class of travel utilized on the outward journey unless the Emergency Assistance Service agree otherwise.

The Canadian Territory: Territorial Limits page 2 on policy documents Area 5 – Worldwide including The United States of America, Canada, Alaska, Hawaii and the Caribbean.

The entire duration of your stay in Canada: On the Backpacker policy Period of Insurance page 2 & 3: Backpacker cover, the period of the trip and terminating upon its completion, but not in any case exceeding the period shown in the validation certificate. Under these polices section A – cancellation cover shall be operative from the time you pay the premium and evidence of insurance is issued and will cease upon departure of your trip or in the event of a cancellation claim on your policy all remaining cover will cease for the planned trip.

This policy also entitles you to a maximum of two return visits to your home before your intended return date (as specified on your validation certificate) for up to a maximum duration of 14 days excluding any return for which a claim is being made as a result of Emergency Medical, Repatriation or curtailment. Cover is suspended from the time you arrive at your departure point to your home and starts again when you exit the airport at your overseas destination.

It is important to note that we will not cover any injuries/accidents incurred during winter sports if the policy does not include the winter sport extra.

The last part is important if you plan on any skiing or whatever. With the admin fee the total is about 209 euro I think with winter sport extra.

Hope thats of help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭PrinceMax

Anyone purchased travel insurance?

I'm having trouble picking it. USIT quoted me 400. Go4less has something for 170, and VHI quoted 4500. Really confused. I want something affordable but also that actually covers stuff, such as medical expenses, and doctor visits. Is it possible to get that in the insurance? Or will it still be necessary to fork out going to the doctor? I'm afraid that the cheaper insurances are cosmetic only, and you won't actually get anything should you need it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

PrinceMax wrote: »
    Anyone purchased travel insurance?

I'm having trouble picking it. USIT quoted me 400. Go4less has something for 170, and VHI quoted 4500. Really confused. I want something affordable but also that actually covers stuff, such as medical expenses, and doctor visits.

Eh? Travel insurance doesn't work like that. It covers emergencies only and even then will only reimburse you after the event.

Advertisement