Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Lemmings

JoolsVan wrote: »
    My medical and travel insurance were all part of the same policy that USIT sold me. Basically, it's travel insurance that covers all the things IEC requires in a medical sense too.. Need to get new insurance when I - fingers crossed - get a new LOI! Have no clue as to where I'm going to get it this time as I'm not going to be in Ireland any time soon and I think if I remember correctly, I was supposed to be resident in Ireland for the previous 6 months min to get it last time..

If anyone has any ideas where to get new insurance while being in Canada I'd appreciate the advice!

I finished up my first year in Canada last October and my insurance came with my USIT package as well. Looking back through my documents it was with Blue Insurance. I'm going to try to find someone else if I get approved for the second year because it was a bit expensive. Prior to that I had spent a year in the US and I just used VHI. I'm still comparing rates, I don't think there's any easy way of doing it besides calling/emailing around and getting various rates based on what your individual medical needs are for the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭gdmaestro

Intocable wrote: »
    LOI Received today, flight booked to Toronto for Friday! POW!!!!

I'm so so so so so so sooooo JEALOUS! haha but congratulations to you! hopefully i wont be long out after ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭SarahToronto

@GGirl2010: sorry if I was unclear, flights are required.
    It does say...somewhere, I think someone wrote it here already... that it does say something like have a return flight or proof of funds for a return flight.
    I have always found, actually having a return flight ticket prevents any agro with some immigration people at the border.
    But whatever you guys want to do.

Oh in other news...
    I got my visa today. I'm already in Canada, but I'll pop down to the border and get the passport stamped. My paperwork was sent to London on the 17th, received my Letter of Introduction today at an alternative email address...I had two email addresses written on my forms (it was an accident), anyway they sent the introduction letter to one of them.
    Good luck to everyone, once you're at the London stage you're pretty much guaranteed your visa unless you've some dark illegal past!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

bellasolis wrote: »
    Ok just reading through the Eligibility Criteria on the canadian govs website...

Under point 4 of the conditions it states;

"Be in possession of a departure ticket leaving Canada at the end of your authorized period of stay or sufficient financial resources to purchase such a ticket"

So on that it looks like either sufficient funds or return flight can suffice..

Also I have used blueinsurance for a 2 year backpacking trip and they were pretty good, am after sitting here comparing their policy with 2 others here and they seem to still be the best for their price, including hazardous activity grade 1 and wintersports its around 260 I think.. also I rem when I booked a few years ago the guy on the phone said did I want to pay for the waiver, think it cost another 30e but meant I didnt have to pay the waiver when making a claim, think its something they dont advertise but you can ask for.

hey ah ok, . I might just go for the return flights just to aviod all the drama at the emmigration office on entrance .

Thank you . ggirl2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 JoolsVan

Lemmings wrote: »
    I finished up my first year in Canada last October and my insurance came with my USIT package as well. Looking back through my documents it was with Blue Insurance. I'm going to try to find someone else if I get approved for the second year because it was a bit expensive. Prior to that I had spent a year in the US and I just used VHI. I'm still comparing rates, I don't think there's any easy way of doing it besides calling/emailing around and getting various rates based on what your individual medical needs are for the year.

Yeah, I thought as much. Thanks for the response.

• Advertisement

Oh in other news...
    I got my visa today. I'm already in Canada, but I'll pop down to the border and get the passport stamped. My paperwork was sent to London on the 17th, received my Letter of Introduction today at an alternative email address...I had two email addresses written on my forms (it was an accident), anyway they sent the introduction letter to one of them.
    Good luck to everyone, once you're at the London stage you're pretty much guaranteed your visa unless you've some dark illegal past!

Congrats on getting your second year!! I know you've pretty much dealt with this question already, but who are you getting your insurance from for this new visa? Like you, I'll be doing the cross the border hike and not heading home.. any policies I have looked at from home need you to have been resident in Ireland for the previous 6 months! Stumped as to where to go for it now..

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

It does say...somewhere, I think someone wrote it here already... that it does say something like have a return flight or proof of funds for a return flight.
    I have always found, actually having a return flight ticket prevents any agro with some immigration people at the border.

Oh in other news...

ah ok congrats sarah. and for insurance was looking at axa, they are low price does this really matter lolz. blue insurance is bit dearer, but i dont see repartriation cover on the list or its probably written in different terms maby.

Thanks ggirl2010

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Jlav

Your insurance will be the best thing ever if you're ever badly injured. You pay for your care , but you get the money back once you claim. Do read the small print of your insurance policy on how to claim. I had one policy where I had to ring while I was either being injured or still in hospital/with the doctor and within 72hours of the initial accident. Pretty stringent stuff!

Im going out working with Agricultural equipment and no policies seem to cover anything more than light manual work with no machinery. The only thing i can think of is to just get normal backpackers insurance and ensure that my employers insurance covers me??

JoolsVan wrote: »
    Congrats on getting your second year!! I know you've pretty much dealt with this question already, but who are you getting your insurance from for this new visa? Like you, I'll be doing the cross the border hike and not heading home.. any policies I have looked at from home need you to have been resident in Ireland for the previous 6 months! Stumped as to where to go for it now..

Okay where to go for insurance...this is the most annoying thing because yes, for some Irish insurance policies (that I know of so far) you must be resident in Ireland over the past six months.
    In order to get insurance now from a non Irish source, I'd have to go through worldnomads.com as they don't care whether you're a resident. They don't have residency requirements AND cover all the IEC insurance requirements.
    They cost around €450 for 12months.

Otherwise another option, which is to get cheaper insurance from an Irish provider if there's no residency requirements.

Border officials are not the insurance police, once you have some insurance as it says on the letter of introduction and IEC website; with your flight home; your letter of intro; and you satisfactorily answer their questions, then they're happy. So either get the proper insurance from worldnomads to cover you.

So whatever you choose, up to you; let me know how it works out. I've not bought my insurance yet, I will in a few days. Still researching all options.

Okay so my PC just crashed again..so lets see if I can actually post this time!

@Jlav- I didn't see any agricultural insurance either. I would presume your employer would have insurance for this. Some websites below may help:
    http://www.ccohs.ca/
    http://safety-council.org/workplace-safety/

• Advertisement

Okay where to go for insurance...this is the most annoying thing because yes, for all Irish insurance policies (that I know of so far) you must be resident in Ireland over the past six months.
    In order to get insurance now, I'd have to go through worldnomads.com as they don't care whether you're a resident. They are the only company that I know of who do not have residency requirements AND cover all the IEC insurance requirements.
    They cost around €450 for 12months.

Otherwise another option, which is to get cheaper insurance from an Irish provider (they can't track where you are now, but it is a breach of contract say you're a resident when you're not), and never claim from them even if you are injured in the next 12 months.
    Cheaper Irish ones can cost €170 upwards for 12months - www.backpackertravelinsurance.ie - one website example but there are tons of others.

Border officials are not the insurance police, once you have some insurance as it says on the letter of introduction and IEC website; with your flight home; your letter of intro; and you satisfactorily answer their questions, then they're happy. So either get the proper insurance from worldnomads to cover you OR get an Irish provider for border purposes only.

If you're brave take the chance and get the cheaper Irish alternative: But, if you do buy the Irish options, you cannot claim from them if you were not not a resident in Ireland at time of purchase. If you're injured, you are in trouble and probably going to be in debt paying for medical costs.

So whatever you choose, up to you; let me know how it works out. I've not bought my insurance yet, I will in a few days. Still researching all options.

Thanks a mil for that Sarah! Good to know there's at least one provider that isn't VHI prices and doesn't require residency out there. I'll probably go safe - even though I haven't needed any of my current insurance to date, touch wood.. Best of luck with your research and enjoy your second year in Canada! Hopefully I get my LOI in the next two weeks now coz like you, I also fell for a Canadian man.. too good ;) j

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Lemmings

Has anyone changed their drivers licence in Canada? I won't have the 12 months experience to get the G1. Does anyone know the process?

This is where I've gotten my info thus far:

http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/OutOfCountryDrivers.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Lemmings wrote: »
    Has anyone changed their drivers licence in Canada? I won't have the 12 months experience to get the G1. Does anyone know the process?

This is where I've gotten my info thus far:

http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/OutOfCountryDrivers.aspx

ive heard you can apply to the aa for an international licence here and you can drive on it for a period of time in canada,while you apply for their test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

So either get the proper insurance from worldnomads to cover you OR get an Irish provider for border purposes only.

You can actually take out a policy and cancel under the cooling off period within 10 working days.. perfect if you already have life cover and health cover (e.g. OHIP) but just want to avoid hassle with immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Jlav

Okay so my PC just crashed again..so lets see if I can actually post this time!

@Jlav- I didn't see any agricultural insurance either. I would presume your employer would have insurance for this. Some websites below may help:
    http://www.ccohs.ca/
    http://safety-council.org/workplace-safety/

Your computer is getting it tight, your supplyin so much useful information to us all, Ill just contact my employer, Cheers for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I went with backpackers insurance...cost about 150euro for 10 months.
    Noone at any point of my journey here asked me for proof of insurance. Suppose its better to have though if anything goes wrong.
    Same with my return flight in december

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭can2011

Oh in other news...

I am already in Canada too, what insurance are you getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mjth2004

Application sent 16 Feb
    Acknowledgement of Receipt email 18 Feb
    Payment & Conditional Acceptance email 21 Feb
    IEC Work Permit Introduction Letter email 9 minutes ago!

Job done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭louisejscott

thats the quickest i've heard of anyone getting their LOI. I started the process on 28 January and only got my LOI on 22 March

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

thats the quickest i've heard of anyone getting their LOI. I started the process on 28 January and only got my LOI on 22 March

It'll probably keep getting quicker as the backlog is worked through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jimmybeige

Yea it's about 4.5 weeks after being sent to London at this stage. Mine went to London on the 15th Feb and I got my LOI on the 17th March which was last Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I'm getting a third party to provide the funds and have the proof of funds and a photocopy of their ID.

But on the checklist it says to include a letter as well signed by this person. Will any type of letter do? Will just a quick letter stating that they are providing the funds do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Also on the second 3-page IEC application form do you need 2 photos aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Eire09

Fromvert wrote: »
    Also on the second 3-page IEC application form do you need 2 photos aswell?
    i got through the 1st stage with only 2 photos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 eire86

Fromvert wrote: »
    I'm getting a third party to provide the funds and have the proof of funds and a photocopy of their ID.

But on the checklist it says to include a letter as well signed by this person. Will any type of letter do? Will just a quick letter stating that they are providing the funds do?
    Yep i just tyed up a quick letter and got them to sign it and it was accepted grand:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Rialbox

I wish I even had mine sent off by now. I've been waiting on a garda clearance form for 8 weeks now. I have a minor conviction, from years ago, which wouldn't be a problem, according to my global visa case manager, but its the time thats worrying me now.
    I live in Swords and for some reason a garda report has been sent from coolock st., to nass st., to newcastle west Garda station concerning my application! Not sure whats going on but I gotta get that fast or else I've blown €400 (global visas charges [£350 st.]) on nothing!
    My girlfriend got her clearance form a week after we applied but shes been holding on for me to send the IEC app. to global visas. Tough decision for her. I keep telling her to send it... I'll get there somehow! :)
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Rialbox wrote: »
    I wish I even had mine sent off by now. I've been waiting on a garda clearance form for 8 weeks now. I have a minor conviction, from years ago, which wouldn't be a problem, according to my global visa case manager, but its the time thats worrying me now.
    I live in Swords and for some reason a garda report has been sent from coolock st., to nass st., to newcastle west Garda station concerning my application! Not sure whats going on but I gotta get that fast or else I've blown €400 (global visas charges [£350 st.]) on nothing!
    My girlfriend got her clearance form a week after we applied but shes been holding on for me to send the IEC app. to global visas. Tough decision for her. I keep telling her to send it... I'll get there somehow! :)

what are global visas now when they're at home? that seems a crazy amount of money...does that include the 110e IEC charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 eire86

Rialbox wrote: »
    I was in the EXACT same poisition mate from swords and was waiten f ucken ages for my clearance coz of sumtin stupid.I just literally harrassed coolock garda station sayen that i need it real bad that theres gona be none left to the point they were fed up of me ringen.As far as i no theres still sum left so dnt wory ull be grand just keep ringen etc we,ll be over there in no time watch:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

my mate applied for his in swords and was waiting an eternity for his aswell nearly 6-8 weeks:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

Got mine in five days

If go direct to the District Office and let them know it's urgent, they're generally great in my experience (I've got two police certificates now)

If you don't go to the District Office it adds time on to the whole process

Advertisement