Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭louisejscott

The IEC website says the following re- return flights:
    1. Be in possession of a departure ticket leaving Canada at the end of your authorized period of stay or sufficient financial resources to purchase such a ticket;

• Registered Users Posts: 17 johnyowen

I emailed the embassy in dublin der asking about the medical. I was hoping they might be able to give me some information about the places where you could do the medical so at least we could go ahead and book one or anything to speed up the application process. I got a generic "Please refer to the FAQ section of the wesite.. blah blah blah" reply. Did anyone else try and contact them?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

If anybody is on USIT's waiting list, they're absolutely flying through it at the moment

I was 120 on it 9 days ago, 48 on it on Friday, and they just called me to offer me a place there

I've already got my flights and visa ages, so just told them I didn't need it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 beggarman

got my email from london there now happy days toronto here i come

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

johnyowen wrote: »
    I emailed the embassy in dublin der asking about the medical. I was hoping they might be able to give me some information about the places where you could do the medical so at least we could go ahead and book one or anything to speed up the application process. I got a generic "Please refer to the FAQ section of the wesite.. blah blah blah" reply. Did anyone else try and contact them?

johnyown.. i think a direct contact should be contacted, the Embassy in france direct contact phone number(office hours i think 8 to 11/12 their time) and or their direct email address. Yeah i think i wil email the direct email address tomorw or wednsday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭jessible

beggarman wrote: »
    got my email from london there now happy days toronto here i come

hey beggarman when was you application sent to London?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 RyanNolan

How long on average does it take for visa approval after sending off everything?

RyanNolan wrote: »
    How long on average does it take for visa approval after sending off everything?

6-8 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭SarahToronto

I posted this on another thread, here it is again as people asked me questions:
    Okay so here's an idea of what to expect for those already in Canada who have to pop down to the border to get their work permit.

I got my letter of introduction last week, booked a return flight to Ireland for later in the year and bought insurance.
    I'm already in Canada, I popped down to the border to get the actual work permit in my passport.

The Canadian immigration people are so nice and fantastic, no problems. I had to leave and then re-enter Canada as I'm currently only a visitor here.
    So I popped over the US border, waited over 2hours for an ESTA as they wouldn't give me another document instead (long story - nothing to do with IEC, its just to show you left Canada and now enter Canada with a new work permit). So I Bought my stupid ESTA (note:have US dollars or a credit card to buy, its only US$6).

Next, went back into Canada and to immigration booths there. They're fantastic, within 15mins I had my visa. I was not asked to show insurance, flight, or my visitor visa details at all! But I had proof of all these documents just in case.

Canada- you are fantastic.
    The immigration officials at the border are so much nicer than those at Pearson Airport. These guys were awesome.

And now to answer some other Qs:
    1. You must apply for your SIN number (pps number) when you're here, before you start work here. You need your work permit, passport and your old SIN number (if you have one), to apply for it.
    2. Anyone flying through to Canada via USA, yes you need an ESTA. Flying straight from Ireland to Canada, no need for an ESTA, obviously.
    3. I was told, by the immigration officers at the border, some very interesting information: I have the IEC visa (I didn't get a medical). They said to me that if I choose to work in agriculture, teaching, childcare medicine etc. that I can apply to the Canada immigration in Canada to get my medical and change my visa accordingly. It takes a good few weeks to do, and its probably difficult, so I haven't bothered. But if anyone wants to change their mind about their career and hasn't got their medical already when they are here on their visa; they can change it.

Okay as I said before, the information I'm providing is from my experience, stuff I've read or info. from friends in different parts of Canada. I'm not the law this is my disclaimer! Someone freaked at me for giving wrong information, I'm sorry if I was mistaken, I'm human. There are plenty of government websites, news sites and job sites for people to find this information themselves. I was only trying be helpful. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 aidanl

Hi,

my friend got acknowledgement of receipt on paddys day and he hasn't heard anything back from them yet. still waiting for the email that lets him pay the 110 euro. Has anyone else had this problem?Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭louisejscott

aidanl wrote: »
    Hi,

my friend got acknowledgement of receipt on paddys day and he hasn't heard anything back from them yet. still waiting for the email that lets him pay the 110 euro. Has anyone else had this problem?Thanks

the timings for everyone seem to be very difference. I got my acknowledgment then my email to pay within a week but I was waiting nearly 3 weeks for confirmation of proof of payment and over a month from london whereas other people were alot quicker, including my bf and we filled out our forms identically. I know it's really frustrating but there isn't really anything you can do- they don't accept emails until after the period outlined in your receipt email. I just assume it depends on how busy they are that particular week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

I posted this on another thread, here it is again as people asked me questions:
    Okay so here's an idea of what to expect for those already in Canada who have to pop down to the border to get their work permit.

I got my letter of introduction last week, booked a return flight to Ireland for later in the year and bought insurance.
    I'm already in Canada, I popped down to the border to get the actual work permit in my passport.

The Canadian immigration people are so nice and fantastic, no problems. I had to leave and then re-enter Canada as I'm currently only a visitor here.
    So I popped over the US border, waited over 2hours for an ESTA as they wouldn't give me another document instead (long story - nothing to do with IEC, its just to show you left Canada and now enter Canada with a new work permit). So I Bought my stupid ESTA (note:have US dollars or a credit card to buy, its only US$6).

Next, went back into Canada and to immigration booths there. They're fantastic, within 15mins I had my visa. I was not asked to show insurance, flight, or my visitor visa details at all! But I had proof of all these documents just in case.

Canada- you are fantastic.
    The immigration officials at the border are so much nicer than those at Pearson Airport. These guys were awesome.

And now to answer some other Qs:
    1. You must apply for your SIN number (pps number) when you're here, before you start work here. You need your work permit, passport and your old SIN number (if you have one), to apply for it.
    2. Anyone flying through to Canada via USA, yes you need an ESTA. Flying straight from Ireland to Canada, no need for an ESTA, obviously.
    3. I was told, by the immigration officers at the border, some very interesting information: I have the IEC visa (I didn't get a medical). They said to me that if I choose to work in agriculture, teaching, childcare medicine etc. that I can apply to the Canada immigration in Canada to get my medical and change my visa accordingly. It takes a good few weeks to do, and its probably difficult, so I haven't bothered. But if anyone wants to change their mind about their career and hasn't got their medical already when they are here on their visa; they can change it.

Okay as I said before, the information I'm providing is from my experience, stuff I've read or info. from friends in different parts of Canada. I'm not the law this is my disclaimer! Someone freaked at me for giving wrong information, I'm sorry if I was mistaken, I'm human. There are plenty of government websites, news sites and job sites for people to find this information themselves. I was only trying be helpful. :)

Good post Sarah been reading your posts and they are all good with lots of info
    Yep we are all only human, it would be foolish of anyone to base all their decisions based on what is on here or any other discussion forum, people need to read the official sites for themselves as well and make up their own minds about what is the best course of action to take

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 beggarman

jessible wrote: »
    hey beggarman when was you application sent to London?
    hey jessible my application was sent to london on the 25th of feb i think it akes a couple of weeks so don't worry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭jessible

beggarman wrote: »
    hey jessible my application was sent to london on the 25th of feb i think it akes a couple of weeks so don't worry

Mine was sent to London on the 25th aswell... kinda worried coz I didnt get any email :(

red menace wrote: »
    Good post Sarah been reading your posts and they are all good with lots of info
    Yep we are all only human, it would be foolish of anyone to base all their decisions based on what is on here or any other discussion forum, people need to read the official sites for themselves as well and make up their own minds about what is the best course of action to take

hi sarah.. yeah about putting info on here keep em coming... lol.. very usefull. Also dont mind people who pick at your info, thats your doings, if they have a problem well then they shouldnt even care, or read your info and also they are probably lazy , lazy as in research on littel things we need to know for the trip.(ignorance) . Sarah just wondering about the SIN, offices i take it are easy located yeah, ill google search and see what comes up anyway... Im currently stil waiting on my medical btw, lol, yes it is bit of a long wait , and more proceedures :/.... i have waitied the ful time now 8 weeks. stil no word, but hopefully ill know soon maby, so i can book cheap flights.. ;/ grrrr. lol..

GGirl2010 wrote: »
    Sarah just wondering about the SIN, offices i take it are easy located yeah, ill google search and see what comes up anyway....

You can apply for SIN numbers (pps numbers!) through the post. I think this is a bad choice as you would have to send off your passport and work permit, they could get lost or stolen in the post.
    Instead you can apply in person at any 'Service Canada' office. These offices are like...social welfare, county council and citizens information offices all rolled into one. Basically you walk into their offices (mornings are best), say you want to apply for a SIN number, show your passport, work permit and old SIN number if applicable and then they'll tell you where to wait and someone deals with you soon enough.
    I went into the offices today (Monday) and I got my SIN number within 15mins as it was so early when I went in, 9am. I get my number right away and they send me the SIN card within 10-15business days.
    Once I have the number, I can now start working at any time. You cannot legally work without a SIN number, when you're doing your income taxes next year (Feb/March/April 2012), you will get caught out if you worked before having a SIN number.
    Oh, and its free to get. If you're renewing your existing number, sometimes there's a cost of $10, but for me there was not.
    more info:
    http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/sin/index.shtml

Answers to more Questions I've been asked:
    1. Renting in Canada. Okay everywhere is different, but here's the basics. There's a lot of shady landlords like anywhere. Read your lease, who is responsible for damages in the apartment, who is responsible for damages in the building (not in your apartment, but in public areas), do they require renters insurance, anything in your lease you don't understand?- ask/google it.
    Make sure you all sit down, read the lease with your flatmates and landlord present, all sign it together to prove you all understand and agree. Any questions at all no matter how small?- ask before signing coz leases can be crap to get out of.
    Landlords may want to do a credit check on you, if you're new in Canada they don't have much to go on but this isn't always a problem. Landlords may ask for your SIN number when you're filling out application forms to be the tenants- you do not have to give your SIN number (pps number) - it should be voluntary if you want to give this away - (http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/protect/provide.shtml)

Next - be careful of subletting from a tenant who wants to move out before their lease is up - meet with the landlord - are they ok with this arrangement? Is the rent ok? Look around similar places, are you being overcharged and why- nicer building/gym facilities/ superintendent on site/ security.parking etc.

For more info look for tenant laws- here's one okay-ish website http://www.paralegaladvice.com/tenants/tenants.htm

2. Bedbugs Before you rent, check whether the property you intend on renting is not on this website below. I state this for mainly Toronto and large cities but look at the site anyway:
    http://bedbugregistry.com/

Bedbugs are small creatures which can live all over people's houses not only beds! They are a HUGE problem in North America. They infect clean or dirty homes and clean or dirty people. They are not associated with only untidy/dirty homes. They bite you, bites I've been told don't so much hurt as just itch and annoy. These critters are hard to get rid of. Usually it's your landlords responsibility to get rid of them if they infect your apartment - but look into this.

Don't pick up free furniture or books at thrift stores, craigslist or from the side of the street (hugely popular thing in cities - leaving your old furniture on the street so others may want it before city councils collect it). Only get these items by checking thoroughly there are no bugs- even then, these creatures could be in the larvae stage and hard to see.

Your best bet? New furniture or clean old furniture from a trusted source. Second hand books or clothes or household furnishings - either trust the second hand shop or inspect them very well.

Thankfully I've never had them in my apartment, they had some in an apartment a few doors down from mine, the building managers took quick action and fumigated. thank god!

The only way of getting rid of them is fumigation. Firstly when you find them and then three weeks later when any larvae that was missed, hatches. eeeww. No sprays or household products work for long on them apparently.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/pest/_pnotes/bedbugs-punaises-lits/index-eng.php

Anyway, not a very nice topic but an extremely important one, as its something I didn't once think of when I lived in Ireland.

Yawn..there were more Qs, can't remember - it's 1am and I'm wrecked! Any more Qs? - Ask me again tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Its really bugging me that those of us already here in Canada on a one year visa cant just apply to extend it to the two years, without the whole hassel of having to apply and meet the criteria of the IEC initiative.
    It just doesnt make sense! Ive been offered a job this week that requires me to commit to at least a year, and Ive been here 6 months already so now I have to go through the whole IEC application process and not even guaranteed Ill get it! Its crazy. :mad:

I understand your frustration but you wanna go through the whole emigration experience. It averages around 3-4 years now and if very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

LS92109 wrote: »
    Thats very cheap. What's the Lennox like?? I'm sick of going to the same places!!

If you queue up to buy your drinks in Canada you dont really have to tip. Also, run a tab then tip at the end, its much cheaper.

Try the Railway Tavern downtown, they always had cheaper pints/sleeves. If you go to themed/Irish pubs you always pay the most for drink.

Hi sarah , thank you for that info, yeah i have look up few companies now that issue the SIN, Toronto centre , is one of them. Sarah i know your going to kill me lol, but just about the police certificate and applying for a second year, i have read the FAQs they say that our police cert is valid for 12 months , and that they would like a second copy of the original . As of this can a copy of this be ok to send in . Just wondering did you send in an original and get it posted to you from home ? and is there a website i should know to find out for my police cert validity ? Thank you ggirl2010

• Advertisement

Any Medical forms arrive in the post today for anyone ........... ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 RyanNolan

How hard is it to get a part time job for the summer in vancouver? I've applied for a few now but have heard nothing back! Would I be better off waiting till I get out there on the 27th of May and then start looking? Im a student so im not too fussy as long as i am earning something!

Great info from Sarah on Bedbugs, we had them in Vancouver last year and it was a horrible few weeks while we got fumigated, lots of sleepless nights

It's putting me off even considering living in the west end again. They're a MASSIVE problem

@ggirl2010 - yes I sent an original copy of Garda cert that I got sent to me from my family in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

THIS MESSAGE IS FOR CANDIDATES WHO HAVE NOT YET MAILED IN THEIR 2011 IEC APPLICATION PACKAGE
    (If you have already sent us your 2011 IEC application package, please ignore the message below.)

Dear candidate,
    An important change has been made regarding the application forms required to apply to the 2011 International Experience Canada (IEC) initiative.
    Due to the implementation of a new computer system by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), the application forms that you are required to include in your IEC application package have changed.
    If you have downloaded a 2011 application kit but have not yet mailed us your application, we ask that you download your application kit again and follow the instructions carefully. You may use the updated version of your application kit as of now.
    Please note that we will not accept an old application form mailed after SATURDAY APRIL 30th, 2011 (as attested by the postal mark). It is your responsibility to ensure that the mailing date is clearly and legibly indicated.
    We thank you for your understanding and look forward to receiving your application in the near future.
    Yours sincerely,

anybody get this e-mail aswell?? just got it ive got my LOI so doesnt apply to me

beano345 wrote: »
    THIS MESSAGE IS FOR CANDIDATES WHO HAVE NOT YET MAILED IN THEIR 2011 IEC APPLICATION PACKAGE
    (If you have already sent us your 2011 IEC application package, please ignore the message below.)

Dear candidate,
    An important change has been made regarding the application forms required to apply to the 2011 International Experience Canada (IEC) initiative.
    Due to the implementation of a new computer system by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), the application forms that you are required to include in your IEC application package have changed.
    If you have downloaded a 2011 application kit but have not yet mailed us your application, we ask that you download your application kit again and follow the instructions carefully. You may use the updated version of your application kit as of now.
    Please note that we will not accept an old application form mailed after SATURDAY APRIL 30th, 2011 (as attested by the postal mark). It is your responsibility to ensure that the mailing date is clearly and legibly indicated.
    We thank you for your understanding and look forward to receiving your application in the near future.
    Yours sincerely,

anybody get this e-mail aswell?? just got it ive got my LOI so doesnt apply to me

Yeah i just got it. I have my LoI so it doesn't apply to me either.

what people asked me about booking flights - why they're expensive and when to book:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056097695&page=19

Info. is half way down the page or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Am I the only person to recieve a medical form? I've lived in South Korea for the last year and I was sent instructions as to how to get my medical results to London. The reason I have to take the medical is because I've lived in a country for more than 6 months which could be seen as being at risk. I've got the forms here in my hand so if anyone is wondering regarding instructions etc. I can help you out. Long story short, you have to use a specific doctor to do your medical and the results are then sent to London. It's a pretty pain free process tbh, a fairly normal series of tests.

I never got an email regarding the IEC application form ???... hmm. Damien there was another guy on somewhere got his medical form. How long did you wait for yours damien. Im stil waiting . This week is my 8th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

RyanNolan wrote: »
    How hard is it to get a part time job for the summer in vancouver? I've applied for a few now but have heard nothing back! Would I be better off waiting till I get out there on the 27th of May and then start looking? Im a student so im not too fussy as long as i am earning something!

work is tricky enough to come by there at the best of times! going to be very hard in the summer with all the students finishing up and heading home for summers jobs ect!

Advertisement