Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

beano345 wrote: »
    THIS MESSAGE IS FOR CANDIDATES WHO HAVE NOT YET MAILED IN THEIR 2011 IEC APPLICATION PACKAGE
    (If you have already sent us your 2011 IEC application package, please ignore the message below.)

Dear candidate,
    An important change has been made regarding the application forms required to apply to the 2011 International Experience Canada (IEC) initiative.
    Due to the implementation of a new computer system by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), the application forms that you are required to include in your IEC application package have changed.
    If you have downloaded a 2011 application kit but have not yet mailed us your application, we ask that you download your application kit again and follow the instructions carefully. You may use the updated version of your application kit as of now.
    Please note that we will not accept an old application form mailed after SATURDAY APRIL 30th, 2011 (as attested by the postal mark). It is your responsibility to ensure that the mailing date is clearly and legibly indicated.
    We thank you for your understanding and look forward to receiving your application in the near future.
    Yours sincerely,

anybody get this e-mail aswell?? just got it ive got my LOI so doesnt apply to me

Wondering why i didnt get that email .... strange ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 smartietube

Hey Sarah Toronto,
    Some very useful info you have. I especially liked the bedbug stuff. Didn't realize that was such a problem over there.
    Anyways, sorry if you have already answered this, but what do you think is the best way of getting my money over? I don't have a visa card or anything like that, so would you suggest travellers cheques or even better, could I set up a canadian bank account from over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Rialbox

Haha, yeah, their home is the world. It is expensive alright, USIT is €350. Doesn't include the the actual canadian government fee no. To be honest, if your thinking of getting a visa I wouldn't even bother going to one of those visa agencies. You'll get along fine on your own. More like global scammers!
    Got my garda clearance form today!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭lillieme

Hey, anyone having to do a medical hear back yet?whats processing time? Mine is in londodon a month. Please reply?

Hi everyone,

I'm really sorry if these questions have been asked already (I'm sure they have), but I really don't have the time to read all the posts with work and evening classes so if anyone could answer me it would be greatly appreciated.

I understand that under the new visa rules, a person can get the visa twice. Great news since it is going to make things so much easier for me to get permanent residency but anyway my questions:

BTW I am applying directly to the Canadian High Commission and I am currently in Canada under the USIT working holiday program, my visa expires the end of November.

1. The website tells me that I have to send the application to France, but since I am already here on a working holiday visa, can I just send it straight to the CHC here in Canada?

2. For the proof of funds, since I am already here and have a job, could a proof of employment letter be used instead?

3. Since I am already here, they have previously received my police cert. and logically since I haven't been in Ireland since then, the cert. is the same. My question is do I have to send in another police cert? I don't even think I can get one without being there in person... also I have a background check from my first job here, could I use that instead?

4. Can you apply for this visa while in Canada and do I have to leave for a certain amount of time before I can come back, or would it just be a case of crossing the border to the US and getting my new visa? I'm sure it's just a case of crossing the border, but the website is not 100% clear on this.

Thanks for any answers, I'm sure someone is in the same position as me and sorry again if these questions have already been asked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭SarahToronto

1. The website tells me that I have to send the application to France, but since I am already here on a working holiday visa, can I just send it straight to the CHC here in Canada?

2. For the proof of funds, since I am already here and have a job, could a proof of employment letter be used instead?

3. Since I am already here, they have previously received my police cert. and logically since I haven't been in Ireland since then, the cert. is the same. My question is do I have to send in another police cert? I don't even think I can get one without being there in person... also I have a background check from my first job here, could I use that instead?

4. Can you apply for this visa while in Canada and do I have to leave for a certain amount of time before I can come back, or would it just be a case of crossing the border to the US and getting my new visa? I'm sure it's just a case of crossing the border, but the website is not 100% clear on this.

Thanks for any answers, I'm sure someone is in the same position as me and sorry again if these questions have already been asked.

Answers:
    1. No. You must send to France. This is a brand new visa program. It has nothing to do with offices in Canada. You must apply to France. (I'm in Canada too, I applied to France.)
    2. I do not know. I do not believe so. $3,000 or more in the bank or a third party proving you have funds here and now. By November (when you'd be using this new visa), you may not have a job or change jobs and earn different money; therefore they may reject a letter from a job. However I would email/ring them for this question.
    3. You must send off a new police cert. I haven't returned to Ireland in a year and a half and I had to send off a police cert. I wrote a letter, sent to my parent in Ireland; they went to the Garda station and gave it to them. Gardai sent it to my parent's address in Ireland. Parent sent it to me by registered post in Canada. In my letter to the Gardai I stated I'm Canada now, I've given permission to my parent (name), that Gardai can send the cert. to my parent and my parent send it to me. REASON: Gardai rarely will send important documents abroad. So sent to parents then parents sent to me was easier. Total:took almost three weeks.
    4. You can apply in Canada. You can cross the border. I crossed the border, US immigration gave me a hard time; but once I got back to Canada after a few hours waiting in US immigration; Canada immigration were the nicest people on the earth. They knew what to do and were used to people in my position with visas like mine.

Hope this helped.

Hey Sarah Toronto,
    Some very useful info you have. I especially liked the bedbug stuff. Didn't realize that was such a problem over there.
    Anyways, sorry if you have already answered this, but what do you think is the best way of getting my money over? I don't have a visa card or anything like that, so would you suggest travellers cheques or even better, could I set up a canadian bank account from over here.

I don't think you can set up a bank account from abroad due to money laundering and fraud. Once you get here you can set up an account most easily with TD Canada bank. They're the best to begin with as they're used to dealing with a lot of immigrants.
    To get your money over here initially, travellers cheques and cash. I didn't have a credit card; so I brought cash only; but some was stolen - so be careful!
    If you can: leave some of your euro in Ireland with your parents or a very trusted friend. When you're in Canada and have your bank account, get your parents/friend to transfer your euro into your Canadian account. There are fees involved, but your money is safe. Another positive to doing it this way, is you won't spend that money immediately since you won't have it immediately!
    I don't know of any other way of doing it, but there probably are some other ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

DamienH wrote: »
    Am I the only person to recieve a medical form? I've lived in South Korea for the last year and I was sent instructions as to how to get my medical results to London. The reason I have to take the medical is because I've lived in a country for more than 6 months which could be seen as being at risk. I've got the forms here in my hand so if anyone is wondering regarding instructions etc. I can help you out. Long story short, you have to use a specific doctor to do your medical and the results are then sent to London. It's a pretty pain free process tbh, a fairly normal series of tests.

eh? I lived in South Korea too, up until september last year. Nothing was said to me about getting a medical.
    Unless you are looking to work in teaching or healthcare, i didnt think it was needed.

Ah well...i got here in the end anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

I had to because I've lived here in the 6 months before I plan to go to Canada. It surprised me aswell but it didn't end up being too much of a problem. There was 2 registered doctors in Seoul and one in Busan.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

If anyone's going to Vancouver I'd recommend NOT setting up an account with Van City bank

They have a really annoying limit of 100 dollars per day withdrawals on their atm cards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 beggarman

jessible wrote: »
    Mine was sent to London on the 25th aswell... kinda worried coz I didnt get any email :(
    when you planing on heading to canada id say theres lots of time for it yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

i think i read on here you can transfer the money into your canadian account using internet banking once its set up??

johnyowen........... any word ???

• Registered Users Posts: 17 johnyowen

ggirl. nope, still waitin on the postman everyday like a bad dog. not a hope we're gona be processed within the twelve weeks.

johnyowen wrote: »
    ggirl. nope, still waitin on the postman everyday like a bad dog. not a hope we're gona be processed within the twelve weeks.

12 weeks, hmm yeah possibly,but i thought that medical forms should be issued within the 8th week. :/:/ ....

wonders should i go ahead and book single /return flight

GGirl2010 wrote: »
    12 weeks, hmm yeah possibly,but i thought that medical forms should be issued within the 8th week. :/:/ ....

wonders should i go ahead and book single /return flight

I think i might just bite the bullet!!!! and book!!! lolz....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭can2011

I posted this on another thread, here it is again as people asked me questions:
    Okay so here's an idea of what to expect for those already in Canada who have to pop down to the border to get their work permit.

I got my letter of introduction last week, booked a return flight to Ireland for later in the year and bought insurance.
    I'm already in Canada, I popped down to the border to get the actual work permit in my passport.

The Canadian immigration people are so nice and fantastic, no problems. I had to leave and then re-enter Canada as I'm currently only a visitor here.
    So I popped over the US border, waited over 2hours for an ESTA as they wouldn't give me another document instead (long story - nothing to do with IEC, its just to show you left Canada and now enter Canada with a new work permit). So I Bought my stupid ESTA (note:have US dollars or a credit card to buy, its only US$6).

Next, went back into Canada and to immigration booths there. They're fantastic, within 15mins I had my visa. I was not asked to show insurance, flight, or my visitor visa details at all! But I had proof of all these documents just in case.

Canada- you are fantastic.
    The immigration officials at the border are so much nicer than those at Pearson Airport. These guys were awesome.

And now to answer some other Qs:
    1. You must apply for your SIN number (pps number) when you're here, before you start work here. You need your work permit, passport and your old SIN number (if you have one), to apply for it.
    2. Anyone flying through to Canada via USA, yes you need an ESTA. Flying straight from Ireland to Canada, no need for an ESTA, obviously.
    3. I was told, by the immigration officers at the border, some very interesting information: I have the IEC visa (I didn't get a medical). They said to me that if I choose to work in agriculture, teaching, childcare medicine etc. that I can apply to the Canada immigration in Canada to get my medical and change my visa accordingly. It takes a good few weeks to do, and its probably difficult, so I haven't bothered. But if anyone wants to change their mind about their career and hasn't got their medical already when they are here on their visa; they can change it.

Okay as I said before, the information I'm providing is from my experience, stuff I've read or info. from friends in different parts of Canada. I'm not the law this is my disclaimer! Someone freaked at me for giving wrong information, I'm sorry if I was mistaken, I'm human. There are plenty of government websites, news sites and job sites for people to find this information themselves. I was only trying be helpful. :)

Thanks for the info. What insurance did you end up getting?

can2011 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. What insurance did you end up getting?

i went with worldnomads. I wasn't even asked for my insurance by immigration when they gave me the work permit. bit of a waste of money - but doesn't matter, have my permit and a job now so I don't mind so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭can2011

i went with worldnomads. I wasn't even asked for my insurance by immigration when they gave me the work permit. bit of a waste of money - but doesn't matter, have my permit and a job now so I don't mind so much!

What type of job did you get, still in Toronto? Im moving back to Toronto and looking for work. Were you able to get 1 year coverage with them? All the insurance quotes I have gotten are between 5 and 600.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 smartietube

I don't think you can set up a bank account from abroad due to money laundering and fraud. Once you get here you can set up an account most easily with TD Canada bank. They're the best to begin with as they're used to dealing with a lot of immigrants.
    To get your money over here initially, travellers cheques and cash. I didn't have a credit card; so I brought cash only; but some was stolen - so be careful!
    If you can: leave some of your euro in Ireland with your parents or a very trusted friend. When you're in Canada and have your bank account, get your parents/friend to transfer your euro into your Canadian account. There are fees involved, but your money is safe. Another positive to doing it this way, is you won't spend that money immediately since you won't have it immediately!
    I don't know of any other way of doing it, but there probably are some other ways.

Thanks Sarah. Seems a bit dodgy but i'll just take cash over and will look into TD Canada bank when i get there.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Wanderer81

Hi everyone so I got my LOI yesterday,if it helps anyone here's an idea of time frame if your applying now.

21/02/2011 Acknowledgment of Receipt
    22/02/2011 Conditional Acceptance
    23/02/2011 Receipt of proof of payment
    24/02/2011 First evaluation phase completed
    29/03/2011 Work permit introduction letter

It was in my junk mail so hope everyone's checking there's.
    Thinking of heading to Toronto mid June,but from what a Canadian friend who lives in Toronto has told me,its very difficult to find work there.they mentioned Ottawa or even further afield Nova Scotia as better options jobs wise,will play it by ear when i get there.
    Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone who hasn't got there's yet
    It will come soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 lydiac

I posted this on another thread, here it is again as people asked me questions:
    Okay so here's an idea of what to expect for those already in Canada who have to pop down to the border to get their work permit.

I got my letter of introduction last week, booked a return flight to Ireland for later in the year and bought insurance.
    I'm already in Canada, I popped down to the border to get the actual work permit in my passport.

The Canadian immigration people are so nice and fantastic, no problems. I had to leave and then re-enter Canada as I'm currently only a visitor here.
    So I popped over the US border, waited over 2hours for an ESTA as they wouldn't give me another document instead (long story - nothing to do with IEC, its just to show you left Canada and now enter Canada with a new work permit). So I Bought my stupid ESTA (note:have US dollars or a credit card to buy, its only US$6).

Next, went back into Canada and to immigration booths there. They're fantastic, within 15mins I had my visa. I was not asked to show insurance, flight, or my visitor visa details at all! But I had proof of all these documents just in case.

Canada- you are fantastic.
    The immigration officials at the border are so much nicer than those at Pearson Airport. These guys were awesome.

And now to answer some other Qs:
    1. You must apply for your SIN number (pps number) when you're here, before you start work here. You need your work permit, passport and your old SIN number (if you have one), to apply for it.
    2. Anyone flying through to Canada via USA, yes you need an ESTA. Flying straight from Ireland to Canada, no need for an ESTA, obviously.
    3. I was told, by the immigration officers at the border, some very interesting information: I have the IEC visa (I didn't get a medical). They said to me that if I choose to work in agriculture, teaching, childcare medicine etc. that I can apply to the Canada immigration in Canada to get my medical and change my visa accordingly. It takes a good few weeks to do, and its probably difficult, so I haven't bothered. But if anyone wants to change their mind about their career and hasn't got their medical already when they are here on their visa; they can change it.

Okay as I said before, the information I'm providing is from my experience, stuff I've read or info. from friends in different parts of Canada. I'm not the law this is my disclaimer! Someone freaked at me for giving wrong information, I'm sorry if I was mistaken, I'm human. There are plenty of government websites, news sites and job sites for people to find this information themselves. I was only trying be helpful. :)

sorry to be bothering you sarah but are you talking about being in canada on a visitors visa and then getting a work one.... only im worried mine won't arrive before my flights :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Wiggles~

I got my acknowledgement of receipt last Friday and still haven't heard anything back. Starting to get a little worried considering how fast a lot of other people seemed to get their conditional acceptance. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Wanderer81

I wouldn't worry too much wiggles,they're probably overwhelmed by the amount applications.I was starting to loose hope there for a while.

lydiac wrote: »
    sorry to be bothering you sarah but are you talking about being in canada on a visitors visa and then getting a work one.... only im worried mine won't arrive before my flights :-(

Okay well I wasn't on a visitor visa, I was on implied visitor status. Which meant, I applied for a visitor visa before my old work visa expired; but due to the LONG application processing times by post (currently 132days!!!) I did not receive my visitor visa as it was still on someones damn desk! My work visa came first!
    So... if you come to Canada from Ireland before your visa is issued one of two things will happen:

1. You arrive here by plane, in the airport the immigration will check your passport on their computer and say - 'hey, you have a visa waiting to be issued, why are you here early??' At that time you can say, I booked my flights in advance, I WILL NOT look for work before my visa is issued, i'm just here to travel around your beautiful country before i have to work here. That might be an okay explanation.

2. Immigration at the airport either don't notice you have a visa pending or don't care; they let you through, you do whatever until you get the email from UK Canada Immigration. THEN - you have two choices:
    - Go to the US-Canadian border and leave and re-enter Canada and get your work permit that way.
    - OR (and i haven't tried this way so i don't know if it works-ask other people if this works), go to your nearest international airport and canada immigration there will look at your passport and give you your work permit visa.

There's some idea of what it all means. I hope it clarified things a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 lydiac

Okay well I wasn't on a visitor visa, I was on implied visitor status. Which meant, I applied for a visitor visa before my old work visa expired; but due to the LONG application processing times by post (currently 132days!!!) I did not receive my visitor visa as it was still on someones damn desk! My work visa came first!
    So... if you come to Canada from Ireland before your visa is issued one of two things will happen:

1. You arrive here by plane, in the airport the immigration will check your passport on their computer and say - 'hey, you have a visa waiting to be issued, why are you here early??' At that time you can say, I booked my flights in advance, I WILL NOT look for work before my visa is issued, i'm just here to travel around your beautiful country before i have to work here. That might be an okay explanation.

2. Immigration at the airport either don't notice you have a visa pending or don't care; they let you through, you do whatever until you get the email from UK Canada Immigration. THEN - you have two choices:
    - Go to the US-Canadian border and leave and re-enter Canada and get your work permit that way.
    - OR (and i haven't tried this way so i don't know if it works-ask other people if this works), go to your nearest international airport and canada immigration there will look at your passport and give you your work permit visa.

There's some idea of what it all means. I hope it clarified things a bit.

Thank you so much, you have been a huge help :D so frustrating waiting for it to come through :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Do you think it'd be much of a problem using the "just coming here to travel around your country" I've got my medical results sent to London, but the flights are booked for 5 weeks. Just in case I didn't get it before then (I'm fairly sure I will), I'd like some peace of mind.

Omg i have just seen the new updated application form and omg, they they added a new section and changed around the main application form. They have finally added more information on how to fill it out, technical issues and also added , " ORIGINAL police certificate required". Finally.

Well id prefer the first application issued in jan to that of this one, but at least they have given more info and help. So much more documents to fill out this time , LOLZ to that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭cookies221

As I said in another thread, the fact that they released an updated application form is a good sign. It means they are expecting more people to apply so there must be plenty of visas still left.

• Advertisement

DamienH wrote: »
    Do you think it'd be much of a problem using the "just coming here to travel around your country" I've got my medical results sent to London, but the flights are booked for 5 weeks. Just in case I didn't get it before then (I'm fairly sure I will), I'd like some peace of mind.

Hmmm..your timelines should be fine since the results are in UK.
    Going there early.. I really don't know whether this would work, but there's nothing illegal that you're doing. I suppose its immigration would fear that you'd start work before you get your visa or something. I would assume since its nothing illegal they'd have to let you in but again I've not tried this before.
    I know this isn't giving you peace of mind, but I'm really not sure what the best course of action is.
    Hopefully someone else has better info, or even better, has tried it!

Advertisement