Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭brianthelion

Hi Corcaigh,Most of the jobs available will be in the service industry,like restraunts eetc try and get in to one of the hospitals and stay away from commission jobs,and if Toronto doe,s not work out try outside,I live in London Ontario which is right between Toronto and Detroit.Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jimmymorrison

Anyone know if its possible to book a one way flight to New york and spend maybe 2-3 months in USA and then enter Canada?Dont want to get turned away at the Airport:eek:What are my options?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jimmybeige

Has anyone got any good information on insurance? I just got quoted €424 from USIT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ivanpower

i got returned flights, insurance,2 free flight changes, a night free accomadation when i arrive for 800euro...and all the help i needed with sorting out my iec application.

i thought that was a super deal

803 to be percise with USIT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jimmybeige

How much was the insurance on its own though? I already have flights, Visa, accommodation and just insurance left to get. Just wondering if there are any better options than the €424 from USIT? Seems a bit steep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 eire86

JoolsVan wrote: »
    Mine is over 5 weeks in London from last Tuesday.. 6 weeks to the day today since getting my confirmation of receipt... They told me it'd take 6weeks to process then and was dying for this day to come, but I've got nothing in my inbox.. it did say in the app that it could take up to 8 weeks though.. fingers crossed for Monday.

Has anyone who's app was sent to UK on 1st of March hear anything yet?? :confused:
    Im 1st of march aswel and still waiten.6 wks 2mw ill let ye no soon as i get it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Manic con

eire86 wrote: »
    Im 1st of march aswel and still waiten.6 wks 2mw ill let ye no soon as i get it:)

I'm 23rd feb and still have not got a loi.I'm thinking it may have something to do with all the medicals being sent out at the moment it could be slowing things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

Got my medical done today..Everything went well bar one thing.. he maintained the eyesight... was poor b/c i count see 100% all the tiny letters with both eyes.. hmm guess they need a eye sight test now for this . pfft.. :( lolz... blood test was soar. The x-ray film sheet of me looks well.. all ribs in order no foreign subjetcs inside .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭cookies221

jimmybeige wrote: »
    Has anyone got any good information on insurance? I just got quoted €424 from USIT.

It's been posted up a million times already. Use http://www.backpackertravelinsurance.ie/ . You'll get insurance for under €200.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Shine7

Had both my xray and medical done in Cork today. Went to the xray place first only to be told that their xray machine had broken down! Was sent up to CUH and got it done there instead.

Nothing particularly worrying in the medical. The doctor had spent a few years living in Canada and raved to me about how amazing it is over there :)

Now the wait is on for blood and urine samples to be analysed and returned then the lot couriered off to London. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I might get news by the end of next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lindzation

Manic con wrote: »
    I'm 23rd feb and still have not got a loi.I'm thinking it may have something to do with all the medicals being sent out at the moment it could be slowing things up.

I think you might be onto something there!!

i take it nobody got their LOI's 2day anyway? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

Shine7 wrote: »
    Had both my xray and medical done in Cork today. Went to the xray place first only to be told that their xray machine had broken down! Was sent up to CUH and got it done there instead.

Nothing particularly worrying in the medical. The doctor had spent a few years living in Canada and raved to me about how amazing it is over there :)

Now the wait is on for blood and urine samples to be analysed and returned then the lot couriered off to London. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I might get news by the end of next week.

Yeah that was a day and a half alright.. al day in town sorting it out lol as they were v busy packed with medicals for canada visa . they say ten days or so for all the tests to be analyes and results to follow ... :cool::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tomoshea

Shine7 wrote: »

did they say how long it takes for the results to be returned before they end it off to london?? im going down to cork in the morning to do the medical

• Registered Users Posts: 6,381 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

london ontario looks nice actually, yea ill probably be looking mostly at service jobs like in a restaurant etc., hopefully the jobs will be there in sept/oct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭brianthelion

Hi Corcaigh I know that Costco are hiring and they pay pretty good and give benefits as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BoggerTree

Mouse1 wrote: »
    The medical is for anyone who is looking to work in the Health sector, teach young adults etc etc!

It's seriously good!! Spent a few days in Halifax at the end and thought it was much, much nicer than Toronto!! Toronto was great but the people were much friendlier in Nova Scotia and it's not as massive as Toronto so easier to get around etc. This is where I plan to start this time around!

Hi Mouse, I'm planning to go to Canada in May and was looking into Halifax. It looks like a really nice place to live. I was wondering if you are over there now? Is it Ok for getting work? Have you heard anything about the forestry industry? Are there many Irish over there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 JoolsVan

ivanpower wrote: »
    i take it nobody got their LOI's 2day anyway? :(

Nope.. I'm thinking Manic con's thoughts on the Medicals being sent out as to what's slowing things down sound like a decent theory on it.. Fingers crossed for sometime this week. How long have you been waiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

Hi All,
    Im currently in Canada on the one year visa. My visa expires next week and I still havent got my LOI for my second visa...just wondering if anyone knows what my options are. Im working so dont want to have to leave the job while im waiting for my LOI. I am checking my inbox all the time - driving me crazy!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

Hi All,
    Im currently in Canada on the one year visa. My visa expires next week and I still havent got my LOI for my second visa...just wondering if anyone knows what my options are. Im working so dont want to have to leave the job while im waiting for my LOI. I am checking my inbox all the time - driving me crazy!! I got the email "sent to London" on March 11th

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Batmanosaurus

Hey not sure if this is the wrong section or not but :o

I'm going to Canada on holiday during the summer and am looking to book flights now. Heading to Montreal which is fairly cheapish (550ish for flights)

Just making sure I don't need a Visa or anything for going to Canada on holiday short term do I? (If I do I've probably left it too late I guess:()

Will be fun, booking flights for the first time. Using expedia hopefully so I should get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Hey not sure if this is the wrong section or not but :o

I'm going to Canada on holiday during the summer and am looking to book flights now. Heading to Montreal which is fairly cheapish (550ish for flights)

Just making sure I don't need a Visa or anything for going to Canada on holiday short term do I? (If I do I've probably left it too late I guess:()

Will be fun, booking flights for the first time. Using expedia hopefully so I should get it right.

No, Irish citizens don't require a holiday visa, as long as your visit is less than 6 months. Enjoy your trip :)

In london 6wks 2day and still waiten with no medical:mad:

JoolsVan wrote: »
    Nope.. I'm thinking Manic con's thoughts on the Medicals being sent out as to what's slowing things down sound like a decent theory on it.. Fingers crossed for sometime this week. How long have you been waiting?

im waitn 5 weeks in london now...prob not as long as some people here but i have my flights booked for the 4th May..so i need this thing 2 get a move on!

jessible wrote: »
    Mine was sent to London on the 25th aswell... kinda worried coz I didnt get any email :(
    Is that with a medical???

eire86 wrote: »
    In london 6wks 2day and still waiten with no medical:mad:

it would be awesome if we got it 2day...heres for hoping haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

ivanpower wrote: »
    im waitn 5 weeks in london now...prob not as long as some people here but i have my flights booked for the 4th May..so i need this thing 2 get a move on!

Are any of those who are waiting for more than 8 weeks on the USIT programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

Really wish June would hurry up and get here. Can't wait to get going!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭gdmaestro

DazzlerIE wrote: »
    Really wish June would hurry up and get here. Can't wait to get going!

Me too!!!!!!

Did my medical today!!! 1st time ever I enjoyed gettin blood taken :-D

Advertisement