Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Bathurst

keeno32 wrote: »
    hey just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me, i went through usit for the canada working holiday visa and sent it off. i got a email from paris saying i did not meet the residency requirements. i have already payed usit 350 euro and they say they cant give me a refund. is there anyone having a similar problem?
    any help would be great. thanks.

What where the reasons for rejecting you if you don't mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Hurtzington

Manic con wrote: »
    Tell me about it I'm into my 7th week in London now.Wish if I was getting rejected they would tell me already.

shiiiit, thats not good, did they tell u 8 weeks processing time or just 6?

i was given 6 weeks so if i hear nothing by this coming monday (6 weeks bang on) then i am straight on the phone/email and everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Manic con

shiiiit, thats not good, did they tell u 8 weeks processing time or just 6?

i was given 6 weeks so if i hear nothing by this coming monday (6 weeks bang on) then i am straight on the phone/email and everything!

6 weeks.I have sent them emails they just reply with a automated email that does not help out at all.I might phone tomorrow see if I can get any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

How long are people normally waiting for their application to be sent to the UK?

I transfered the money on the 4th and uploaded my proof of payment on the same day. Got confirmation of my proof of payment but have heard nothing about being sent to the UK yet.

My friend did his on the same day as me and his was sent to th UK the next day.

Just worried something has happened to my application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Emeraldgem wrote: »
    Hi all!

Just joined Boards.ie finally after 4 months of following this thread!!!

Everyone's posts have been so helpful and in the end myself and the bf get our LOIs back at the end of March.

So I have a question for you all - when we go through emigration at the airport we'll get our 12 month work permit. Does the time on this start counting down there and then on the spot or will the time start counting down once you have a job?

We had planned on doing a bit of travelling around Canada for a few weeks before we settled down in our jobs.

I've read here somewhere before that the work permit counts down from emigration. If this is the case I was thinking of not presenting our LOI, proof of funds, insurance etc initially, having a tourist visa and then going to a border to get our permits once we're ready to work.

Thanks for any input!

It's when you arrive at the Canadian border that the visa gets activated..
    and it's Immigration not Emigration!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Theoretically to maximise your stay you could enter on a holiday visa first and get some travel done and all that,then leave and re-enter on your IEC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Also has anyone had any problems with just having a one way ticket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Emeraldgem

JoolsVan wrote: »
    Hi there, your work permit is given to you at whatever airport you land in Canada. The time starts from the day it is given to you. You could try just getting the tourist visa at the start, but there might be a note on your passport in the system to say you've got permission to work and need documents.. and they could quiz you as to why you're not getting the permit.. Canadian people are lovely, but Canadian border police do not smile or have a laugh with you, especially if they feel they don't know what you're up to.. so just be careful. They have every right to turn you away.

Don't mean to scare you, but could be a good idea to check into this more and check other forums to see if anyones done this before - irishalien.com could be helpful..

j

Thanks JoolsVan will def look into it more, and luckily we've a few months to do so. Would love to see the country before we settle for the year in case the annual leave is crap! Will remember to keep on the good side of the border police too.
    lima wrote: »
    It's when you arrive at the Canadian border that the visa gets activated..
    and it's Immigration not Emigration!

Thanks for the correction! ;-) I'm sure by the time I've gotten the exact answers I need I'll know Canadian Immigration inside out!

Emeraldgem wrote: »
    Thanks JoolsVan will def look into it more, and luckily we've a few months to do so. Would love to see the country before we settle for the year in case the annual leave is crap! Will remember to keep on the good side of the border police too.

Thanks for the correction! ;-) I'm sure by the time I've gotten the exact answers I need I'll know Canadian Immigration inside out!

Yes Annual leave is not good - 1 get 10 days holidays with 5 personal days which can be used as sick or holidays
    But on the upside there is almost a bank holiday every month :)

Fromvert wrote: »
    Also has anyone had any problems with just having a one way ticket?

Flew in on a one way ticket last year no questions asked

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 keeno32

the residency requirements are that you are a resident in ireland for 3 years prior to applying for the visa, i was away in oz for over 2 years. i asked usit it about it and they said that it was a vague rule and i could chance it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭PrinceMax

Still do not know what to do about insurance. It is impossible to get a straight answer from anyone about whether a policy meets the requirements, and I'm afraid I'll miss something reading through the long policy documents filled with jargon. Anyone know does the USIT insurance policy meet the IEC requirements. They're quoting me 399 euro, but I asked if it met the requirements and they said, it meets the CHC requirements. What is CHC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭PrinceMax

Did anyone manage to get a straight answer from any insurance company if their policy meets the iec requirements?

PrinceMax wrote: »
    Still do not know what to do about insurance. It is impossible to get a straight answer from anyone about whether a policy meets the requirements, and I'm afraid I'll miss something reading through the long policy documents filled with jargon. Anyone know does the USIT insurance policy meet the IEC requirements. They're quoting me 399 euro, but I asked if it met the requirements and they said, it meets the CHC requirements. What is CHC?

In this context CHC - Canadian High Comission

From the CHC website:
    What type of insurance must I subscribe to before leaving for Canada?
    You must have and maintain insurance for the entire duration of your stay in Canada. Your insurance policy must cover you for:
    • Health care, hospitalization and repatriation;
    • The Canadian territory (the policy should specify North America, Canada/USA or worldwide);
    • The entire duration of your stay in Canada
    You must be able to provide proof of this insurance to the Immigration Officer upon your entry to Canada. To learn more about different insurance options, please consult. Please note that the High Commission of Canada to the UK does not have the mandate of providing a list of insurers.

Read more here

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/experience_canada_experience/faq.aspx#MedExam

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jimmymorrison

Hey people,I'm really stuck in a rut.I want to book a one way flight to Boston,spend maybe two months in USA and then enter Canada and activate my visa.Does anyone will it be possible to enter USA on a one way flight or will I be sent home crying?thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jimmymorrison

Hey people,Im stuck in a rut here and need some help.I want to book a one way flight to Boston and maybe spend 2 months in the USA and then enter Canada and activate my visa.Is it possible to enter USA on a one way flight or will I be sent home crying.thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭brianthelion

Just call the American Embassy and ask them

Hey people,Im stuck in a rut here and need some help.I want to book a one way flight to Boston and maybe spend 2 months in the USA and then enter Canada and activate my visa.Is it possible to enter USA on a one way flight or will I be sent home crying.thanks

Generally you are safe enough once you have an onward ticket to somewhere else
    But don't take my word for it, as said above might be no harm to give the embassy a call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Hurtzington

Manic con wrote: »
    6 weeks.I have sent them emails they just reply with a automated email that does not help out at all.I might phone tomorrow see if I can get any help.

**** man, i hope that dont happen to me, let me know wot happens wen u call em mate. av u got a crim record or anythin like that, that mite slow the process down??

best of luck

**** man, i hope that dont happen to me, let me know wot happens wen u call em mate. av u got a crim record or anythin like that, that mite slow the process down??

best of luck

Think because I'm still in the army that might be slowing it up.just wish somebody would send me a email to let me know what's up with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭den1982

red menace wrote: »
    In this context CHC - Canadian High Comission

From the CHC website:

Read more here

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/experience_canada_experience/faq.aspx#MedExam

i am here wiith 2 weeks and i got my insurance with backpacker insurance.paid about 230. and we had no problem when we went thru immigration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭SarahToronto

Hey people,I'm really stuck in a rut.I want to book a one way flight to Boston,spend maybe two months in USA and then enter Canada and activate my visa.Does anyone will it be possible to enter USA on a one way flight or will I be sent home crying?thanks

US authorities don't like you booking a one way flight because if you could technically just stay there and work illegally instead of at least showing you intend to leave i.e. buying an exiting flight.
    If you don't want to/ can't afford a flight to Canada from the US, then try a bus/train ticket to Canada and show that to authorities.
    Might help a bit?

can2011 wrote: »
    You had to wait a few hours when crossing the border? yikes, i was straight over and back. Well, the main thing is ya get the visa!

haha i'm glad you didn't have to wait for hours, guess I was just unlucky! but congrats on getting your visa :)

Hi guys got a email today the reason my app is taking so long is because I live in the north and they want a Garda cert from when I lived in the south.can anybody tell how I get 1 and how much it cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭orgaz

Hi all...

How do you activate your IEC Visa if you are already in Canada? (im Irish) Do you have to leave the country or is there Customs and Boarder control that you can go to have it activated? :confused:

any help would be greatly appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kitsuune

This is probably really obvious question that I should know the answer to, but what is the story exactly with people getting medicals and what do you do with the results?

I already have an extra bit on my VHI (and have for the last few years) that covers North America and in case of death etc etc - do you only need a medical if you're taking out new health insurance?

I don't need to send in medical info before I get my LOI? I'm expecting confirmation in about a week...

kitsuune wrote: »
    This is probably really obvious question that I should know the answer to, but what is the story exactly with people getting medicals and what do you do with the results?

I already have an extra bit on my VHI (and have for the last few years) that covers North America and in case of death etc etc - do you only need a medical if you're taking out new health insurance?

I don't need to send in medical info before I get my LOI? I'm expecting confirmation in about a week...
    Medical Examination and Insurance

Do I need a medical examination? Can you send me a list of designated medical practitioners?

A medical examination is not generally required of persons residing in Ireland. However, persons residing in Ireland who are destined for occupations for which the protection of public health is essential must pass a medical examination. This includes working in hospitals or healthcare facilities, and working with children such as teachers and care providers. Food handlers are not included in this group and a medical examination would therefore not usually be required. If you have answered in the positive to questions 7 on your IEC application form, you may also be instructed to complete a medical examination.

If a medical examination is required, then the Visa Section at the High Commission of Canada to the UK will send you the appropriate form, instructions, and a link to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website where you can review a list of approved practitioners.

What type of insurance must I subscribe to before leaving for Canada?

You must have and maintain insurance for the entire duration of your stay in Canada. Your insurance policy must cover you for:

Health care, hospitalization and repatriation;
    The Canadian territory (the policy should specify North America, Canada/USA or worldwide);
    The entire duration of your stay in Canada
    You must be able to provide proof of this insurance to the Immigration Officer upon your entry to Canada. To learn more about different insurance options, please consult. Please note that the High Commission of Canada to the UK does not have the mandate of providing a list of insurers.

from here

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/faq.aspx#MedExam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pawpaw

orgaz wrote: »
    Hi all...

How do you activate your IEC Visa if you are already in Canada? (im Irish) Do you have to leave the country or is there Customs and Boarder control that you can go to have it activated? :confused:

To the best of my knowledge, you cannot convert your immigration status from a Visitor status to Work status while you're in Canada.Once the work permit application/LOI is approved, you must depart and re-enter Canada to activate the work permit.

You can do something called 'flagpoling' which means you leave Canada, go to the usa border, explain to the border guard that you need to flagpole to activate your Canadian work permit. He/she will give you a piece of paper and direct you back to the Canadian side.

Once you get to the Canadian side, explain that you want to activate the permit and answer any questions they may have.That way, you have entered the states and are now entering Canada from a different country. I did it before and it's fairly straightforward once you have all your paperwork in place (LOI/Insurance cert or info/passport/proof of funds etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

Please someoneHELP. Im in Toronto and my visa is up in a few days! The girlfriend got her LOI but I didnt yet. Mine isin London 6 weeks. Does anyone know my options? Do I have to leave or whats the story?

• Advertisement

orgaz wrote: »
    Hi all...

yeah as someone already said, you can 'flagpole' - drive to the border, go to the US, and come straight back to canada.

OR

you can go to immigration officials in an international airport near you and they will 'activate' it (give you your work permit in your passport).
    BUT PLEASE NOTE: an immigration official told me I could've done this second option (i was already at the border), but I don't know of anyone who has done this or whether they've been successful - because our Letter of Introduction states we get the visa when we ENTER canada. But if we're only going to an airport in canada to officials there, we're not leaving. So that's why I has to go to the US/Canadian border - leave then re-enter.

If I were you - flagpole it!
    THEN, you get your work permit at the border or wherever, next you get your SIN number renewed or get a new one and finally you can work.

Advertisement