Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

DazzlerIE wrote: »
    any word on your app ggirl?

You applied at the same time as me, feels like so long ago now :)

I've had my loi for 6 weeks now

Hi, em oh yeah i know, the medical process is a pain. takes much longer. Takes approx 3/4 weeks after the medical has been carried out and sent to uk. This is is my 2nd week now i think something like that anyway in uk lol.. I hope everything is in the clear with me haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

GGirl2010 wrote: »
    Hi, em oh yeah i know, the medical process is a pain. takes much longer. Takes approx 3/4 weeks after the medical has been carried out and sent to uk. This is is my 2nd week now i think something like that anyway in uk lol.. I hope everything is in the clear with me haha.

you'll be fine :)

When you flying out?

you'll be fine :)

When you flying out?

27TH of may... its book while back to avoid the expense :) . once i know word on my medical/LOI i wil then book al the rest, insurance, destination unknown, hostel, etc etc... hows the job hunting ?? i really should appy so some today..

27TH of may... its book while back to avoid the expense :) . once i know word on my medical/LOI i wil then book al the rest, insurance, destination unknown, hostel, etc etc... hows the job hunting ?? i really should appy so some today..

I'm not flying out until June 16th

Just gonig to do my current job freelance from over there for a while, so no pressure to get work!

You going to TO right?

If you ever stop by Van gimme a shout!

hi Sarah toronto , sorry for bothering you , just a qs about general packing for canada, is there anything major that i should know not to bring along in the suitcase, clothes accessories etc etc, job documents , any thing else , tips ?

Thanks ggirl2010

• Advertisement

I'm not flying out until June 16th

Just gonig to do my current job freelance from over there for a while, so no pressure to get work!

You going to TO right?

If you ever stop by Van gimme a shout!

YO... lol oh yea will do lol...y not.. gona be meeting many many people anyway no point being takin back.. i wish i was rich doh.. i have to try see what i can afford to do wen i get there ha .. id be hard to say no to a social event /outing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

beano and dazzlerie... i wil not be applying for my drivers international cert :(:(:(:(:(... not good on my test today i failed with 2 extra marks just 2 LOLZ .. they really i think take the buscuit, i mean its fair enough needing to work on driving , yeilding , car control, traffic lights, progression, and breaking, after that they look for tiny minor errors, i think it has gotten very strict in the last 2 years, and it wil continue to rise year after year ( its not a professional test, an amature test LOL.) Also probably people pass on the severity of the instructors mood/ nicness haha.
    :mad::mad: .

If i had of done the test years ago i probably would have possibly passed.

i would'nt worry about it too much.i failed mine three times before i passed:D its only a money racket here,your probably better off going for it over there i would say they arent as strict and have the $$$ in their eyes:D

Cars in Canada are automatic aren't they?

So I'm absolutely just guessing here, but the test would probably be a bit easier to pass

Unless you HAD to drive stick

• Registered Users Posts: 16 hanlon01

Got my LOI today:D4 weeks and 6 days since sent to london.Anyone know where to get insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 hanlon01

Got my LOI todaybiggrin.gif4 weeks and 6 days since sent to london.Anyone know where to get insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Wiggles~

Hey has anyone booked flights to Vancouver recently? The best price I can find is €407 on e-travel.ie but that's one-way. I heard of people getting flights with Aer Lingus return for just over €500, but I can't find anything even close to that price anymore. If anyone does find any good prices good they post them please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

wouldnt mind an oul session in toronto with some irish heads if theres any of yis arriving any time soon. been here since august 09 myself and im not leaving any time soon

Helix wrote: »
    wouldnt mind an oul session in toronto with some irish heads if theres any of yis arriving any time soon. been here since august 09 myself and im not leaving any time soon

You missing irish people ???...

You missing irish people ???...

missing boozing:D

missing boozing:D

oh!!! well i mean is it that you are busy at work , cant find people who drink lots ? haha..

Hello! I might be moving to Newfoundland this year! I've spoken to a few Canadians about it and they didn't have much to say, except its small and boring :-/

Anyone ever been?

apparently its very irish

also nothing by way of job prospects and the standard of living isnt great so im told

hi helix, just on the basis of your experience do u think i am wasting my time applying to jobs here just before i leave for canada or they might consider my application while in ireland?? Id say i probably will get better replies while in canada anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭luluslollypop

GGirl2010

What do you think you will do luluslollupop?

AH i better call the doctor tomo so hopefully the secretary will be able to fill me in.

Jst gonna go over on a holiday and then hope for the best while i am out there. Waiting will be the killer, and then head over the border when i actually get the visa, i seriously hope they like me over there in emmigration.

Thanks a bunch!

oh!!! well i mean is it that you are busy at work , cant find people who drink lots ? haha..

theyre not really drinkers over here. not in toronto anyway
    hi helix, just on the basis of your experience do u think i am wasting my time applying to jobs here just before i leave for canada or they might consider my application while in ireland?? Id say i probably will get better replies while in canada anyways!

no harm applying now, dont mention that you're not in canada until they contact you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 gra111

Wiggles~ wrote: »
    Hey has anyone booked flights to Vancouver recently? The best price I can find is €407 on e-travel.ie but that's one-way. I heard of people getting flights with Aer Lingus return for just over €500, but I can't find anything even close to that price anymore. If anyone does find any good prices good they post them please?

http://www.airtransat.co.uk/en/index.aspx
    have good prices, got mine for 10th of may from Gatwick, 180euro one way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

apparently its very irish

also nothing by way of job prospects and the standard of living isnt great so im told

I'm going for college so don't need a job really. Heard the price of living is pretty cheap though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 spartacus 109

Got my LOI today sent it away on the 16th March anybody going to Vancouver in late August?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Torontohound

Hi all,

Read this thread many times but never joined up.

Got my LOI on Wednesday, 4 weeks & 5 days after it being sent to London.

I am currently in Toronto on the first year of my visa so this is a 12 month extension. I now have 16 months left on my visa and have no plans to go home. Before Canada I had spent a year in Oz.

To everyone worrying, relax, hopefully they will get to everyone in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 conorleone

I sent my vis application in janurary, it was refused initially on the grounds tha I had sent a photocopy of my garda cert, which I ddn't , I sent the original. I reapplied andmy application was sent to London on Feburay 16th. I was told 6 weeks processing time. It has been over 10 weeks and no reply to my application. I got the automated email saying long processng times etc over 4 weeksago. I have emailed them 6 times for an update ,no response. At thisw stage I'd be happy to just get a refusal lettr as at least they would acknowledge I hd applied icon_e_smile.gif. I hav a flight booked for sunday which cleary I am not going to be on. I wouldn't mindso much but this is my 2nd year, I camehme a week befre they anounced thenew extension, leaving my job in Canada behind. I am a bit peeved by te whole process at this stage especially as friends wo sent their application a month after mine have their LOI's, also I know a few Canadians who applied for an Irish work permit and had a permit isued within 3 weeks. I also had my job held for me until May the 1st after I told my employers about the 6 week processing time. They keep asking me to call the visa people, clearly they have no idea of how they operate.
    I reckon I'm the unhappy holder of the longest 2011 processing time without a reply. Maybe I should get onto The Guiness Book of Records, or I'm seriously thinking about The Consumer Protection agency at this stage.
    Sorry for the rant, I guess it's therapy to get it off my chest. Incidently congratulations to all those who got their LOI's Canada is a brilliant country, you'll have a ball. Best of luck to all still waiting icon_e_biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stephencillian

conorleone wrote: »
    I sent my vis application in janurary, it was refused initially on the grounds tha I had sent a photocopy of my garda cert, which I ddn't , I sent the original. I reapplied andmy application was sent to London on Feburay 16th. I was told 6 weeks processing time. It has been over 10 weeks and no reply to my application. I got the automated email saying long processng times etc over 4 weeksago. I have emailed them 6 times for an update ,no response. At thisw stage I'd be happy to just get a refusal lettr as at least they would acknowledge I hd applied icon_e_smile.gif. I hav a flight booked for sunday which cleary I am not going to be on. I wouldn't mindso much but this is my 2nd year, I camehme a week befre they anounced thenew extension, leaving my job in Canada behind. I am a bit peeved by te whole process at this stage especially as friends wo sent their application a month after mine have their LOI's, also I know a few Canadians who applied for an Irish work permit and had a permit isued within 3 weeks. I also had my job held for me until May the 1st after I told my employers about the 6 week processing time. They keep asking me to call the visa people, clearly they have no idea of how they operate.
    I reckon I'm the unhappy holder of the longest 2011 processing time without a reply. Maybe I should get onto The Guiness Book of Records, or I'm seriously thinking about The Consumer Protection agency at this stage.
    Sorry for the rant, I guess it's therapy to get it off my chest. Incidently congratulations to all those who got their LOI's Canada is a brilliant country, you'll have a ball. Best of luck to all still waiting icon_e_biggrin.gif

That sucks for sure, your not the only 1 with the garda problem though ive read quite a few people on her had the issue, but your processing time is unreal, i sent mine on april 10th and its tickin along but no word since the 18th which isn't that long really. Where and what were you working at???

That sucks for sure, your not the only 1 with the garda problem though ive read quite a few people on her had the issue, but your processing time is unreal, i sent mine on april 10th and its tickin along but no word since the 18th which isn't that long really. Where and what were you working at???

That's mad I thought for sure I'd be the only 1 with the garda cert issue, that at least everyone else would benefit from their mistake with my garda cert issue. Surely they would learn that it's just the fact that our garda certs look crappy. I don't know why they would accept some and not others if that's the case. In fact why would they accept my 2nd one, cos it looked pretty much the same, although I did request that the Superintendent sign the second one in blue ink so maybe that made a difference, who knows? Ya I genuinely have no idea why its taking so long. I thought maybe it got lost in the system, the last email I sent them I sent them I sent my application number and pretty much begged them that my application still existed in their system but still no reply.
    Just got off the phone cancelling my flights for sunday and in a way I feel relief now. The pressure is kind of off now. I won't get my job back either now which was in painting in Vancouver to answer your question. Now I know the flight and job are gone, I knid of don't care anymore and won't spend evry hour checking my email, the only thing that matters is my Canadian girlfriend who is in Vancouver and who will know have to look into getting and Irish visa instead, I'm sure she'll have better luck than I will :)

That's mad I thought for sure I'd be the only 1 with the garda cert issue, that at least everyone else would benefit from their mistake with my garda cert issue. Surely they would learn that it's just the fact that our garda certs look crappy. I don't know why they would accept some and not others if that's the case. In fact why would they accept my 2nd one, cos it looked pretty much the same, although I did request that the Superintendent sign the second one in blue ink so maybe that made a difference, who knows? Ya I genuinely have no idea why its taking so long. I thought maybe it got lost in the system, the last email I sent them I sent them I sent my application number and pretty much begged them that my application still existed in their system but still no reply.
    Just got off the phone cancelling my flights for sunday and in a way I feel relief now. The pressure is kind of off now. I won't get my job back either now which was in painting in Vancouver to answer your question. Now I know the flight and job are gone, I knid of don't care anymore and won't spend evry hour checking my email, the only thing that matters is my Canadian girlfriend who is in Vancouver and who will know have to look into getting and Irish visa instead, I'm sure she'll have better luck than I will :)

You done the right thing there wi the blue ink, everything that ive read on here seems that the only 1's getting declined seems to be with the police cert and medi check...(touch wood)
    so with any luck urs is still gettin processed and there just laggin behind cus they dont seem to have any order to which 1's they process first...least the pressures off for the flights but soldier on and im sure ul be back wi your g/friend pretty soon...
    who did you book flights with? im booking for 4 and lookin to get cheap as chips if possible lol

hanlon01 wrote: »
    Got my LOI today4 weeks and 6 days since sent to london.Anyone know where to get insurance?

Hi very good congrats!!!
    Backpackerstravel insurance .ie is the cheapest out of the lot,
    blue insurance,
    AA,
    and your flight company when they email you for manage your flight might do it also. have fun insurance shopping :D

Cheers Stephen, ya I'd love to know how they order the processing of the applications cos it clearly isn't the order they were received, probably put em all in a massive hat and get a duck to pick them out at random ;).
    I booked my flights with British Airways back in Janurary and they were having a sale, got a great deal €438 Cork to Vancouver via Heathrow return, checked the price of a one way for tomorrow which is the day I was supposed to be flying and it was €1160 1 way. I asked the girl when I was cancellling the flight if they were having any more sales and she said she wasn't sure but to keep an eye on the website. I saw a flight the other day oin lastminute.com for €330 one way from London to Vancouver which was with Thomas Cook Airways who have charter flights so they might be worth a look. FYI when I cancelled my flight I asked about postponing my outbound date and keeping the return and she said that if you don't get on the outbound flight your return is automatically cancelled which I thought was strange when you have already paid for it. Seems as well that most airlines flying to Van charge a lot more for a oneway so price a return even if you don't need it.

• Advertisement

Cheers Stephen, ya I'd love to know how they order the processing of the applications cos it clearly isn't the order they were received, probably put em all in a massive hat and get a duck to pick them out at random ;).
    I booked my flights with British Airways back in Janurary and they were having a sale, got a great deal €438 Cork to Vancouver via Heathrow return, checked the price of a one way for tomorrow which is the day I was supposed to be flying and it was €1160 1 way. I asked the girl when I was cancellling the flight if they were having any more sales and she said she wasn't sure but to keep an eye on the website. I saw a flight the other day oin lastminute.com for €330 one way from London to Vancouver which was with Thomas Cook Airways who have charter flights so they might be worth a look. FYI when I cancelled my flight I asked about postponing my outbound date and keeping the return and she said that if you don't get on the outbound flight your return is automatically cancelled which I thought was strange when you have already paid for it. Seems as well that most airlines flying to Van charge a lot more for a oneway so price a return even if you don't need it.

ive heard a few people saying that buying 1 way can cause a bit of hassel when you are entering, did you have any problems urself? I think some of them airlines do put the arm into you when it comes to cost

Advertisement