Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 conorleone

ive heard a few people saying that buying 1 way can cause a bit of hassel when you are entering, did you have any problems urself? I think some of them airlines do put the arm into you when it comes to cost

Not sure but from my own experience last year the guy giving me my work permit didn't ask for return flight, didn't look for proof of funds, didn't ask about insurance, he pretty much just gave it to me and said welcome to Canada. I had all the above but he wasn't interested, I think once you have your LOI they know you've already been vetted in the application stage so they're so busy they just want to get you through there. Of course you could always get some grumpy guy who's having a bad day and cause you stress. If I do end up getting my LOI this year I'm just booking a one way, at the end of the day if you have proof of funds you can tell him you can buy a return at a latter date. I could be wrong but I'm not sure you have to have a return ticket since they changed the rules this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 conorleone

oh also Stephen check out Airtransat, they're definately one of the cheapest to Canada, best price tickets are from London

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stephencillian

conorleone wrote: »
    oh also Stephen check out Airtransat, they're definately one of the cheapest to Canada, best price tickets are from London

You got it handy then last year but like you say ya never no so there's always 1 guy ain't there that thinks he runs the show and that'l do everything to make things hard for ya, so best make sure everythings in order to be on the safe side anyway...
    Im trying not to get my hopes up so dont wanna be checkin out too many flights just yet incase i book summit lol

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭TheoBoone

Just wondering if anyone has any information on the legal sector in and around Toronto?? I'm heading over there with an LLB in Law in December and am just wondering if anyone knows what I should be expecting with relation to their legal sector in that region. Any information would be much appreciated, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭brianthelion

Just contact service canada.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭fanzhiyidan

Hi all,

anyone in Toronto or heading this way soon looking for a construction project management job, PM me as the company I'm working for are looking for someone...preferably Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

Thinking of going over to canada next summer, would I need a visa to stay the summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

mink_man wrote: »
    Thinking of going over to canada next summer, would I need a visa to stay the summer?

Only if you want to work while you are there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

Not sure if this has been touched on but what's the story with form IMM1295 where it asks about your work. It says to attach original offer of employment, then goes on to ask about your employment details and a description of the work etc. Are you supposed to have employment sorted before you go over? If not, I'm presuming these spaces should just be left blank?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Eire09

got the premier level insurance for 1 year off backpackertravelinsurance.ie for 169 euro..i phoned them tis mornin because i was worried that it wasnt enough cover for the IEC but she assured me that my policy and all there policys are designed to accomodate all year working holidays including the IEC. got flights to vancouver for 410 euro for the 23rd May..hardly delighted..!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 hanlon01

GGirl2010 wrote: »
    Hi very good congrats!!!
    Backpackerstravel insurance .ie is the cheapest out of the lot,
    blue insurance,
    AA,
    and your flight company when they email you for manage your flight might do it also. have fun insurance shopping :D
    Thanks a lot went with backpacker

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

kinda lost track of this thread over the past month or 2..

just some advice, im here nearly 2 months and it is difficult to get a job if you dont know anyone & it is true, its all about networking here (for clerical, techy jobs anyway). So anyone coming to Ontario and looking for work should check out the newcomer programs. There are on-profit government agencies that have program to help newcomers find out about the other jobs besides those on monster, kijiji etc (there are a lot....something like 60-70% jobs never make it to job boards)
    It has really helped me & i think anyone feeling a bit lost or needing help should look them up. It varies form location to location (im in London ON, and they are called WIL) - just google "newcomer services toronto" or whatever location youre in

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Mike Funnelly

well guys,

getting ready to apply for the IEC Visa for Canada, but I was talking to some people who have said that all the spots are filled, anybody else hear this or is it just a crock.

Meant to apply in January but got a job here so I didn't bother, thinking that I'd have a job for the year, but just after gettin let go there today, so i'm raging that I didn't apply anyway.

Any info you'd have would be appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Throw in the appication anyway, they havent announced that it's full
    aint going to cost you anything to apply bar the postage

• Registered Users Posts: 31 lydiac

well guys,

getting ready to apply for the IEC Visa for Canada, but I was talking to some people who have said that all the spots are filled, anybody else hear this or is it just a crock.

Meant to apply in January but got a job here so I didn't bother, thinking that I'd have a job for the year, but just after gettin let go there today, so i'm raging that I didn't apply anyway.

Any info you'd have would be appreciated

My friend only applied the other day, and my other friend got rejected and is in the process of getting her forms together to reply so id say your ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 johnyowen

i got my loi today! just in time for my flights on the 19th. my medical results were sent to london exactly three weeks ago. very happy. I would however recommend that anyone hoping to go to canada early next year apply now cas its takin the guts of 4 months to get mine sorted between medicals and what not. best of luck to everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭tosh_2006

how much money do you need for going away after flights and visa's paided for because i'm saving now for next year if i had the money

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Galwaaygirl

GGirl2010 wrote: »
    Hi, em oh yeah i know, the medical process is a pain. takes much longer. Takes approx 3/4 weeks after the medical has been carried out and sent to uk. This is is my 2nd week now i think something like that anyway in uk lol.. I hope everything is in the clear with me haha.

Hi GGal,
    Did you hear yet? Just wanted to let you know I did my medical the 11th of April and I got my LOI today. You'll probably make your flight after all;)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Galwaaygirl

Jlav wrote: »
    I booked my flights for exactly 6weeks as this was the time they told me it would take to process. Turned up at Toronto today with no LOI, and they gave me the 1 year visa. It was on their system as fully accepted. It must go onto their system a day or two before they send us the LOI.
    Happy days.

Lucky you, you chancer! Did you get the LOI by email since you got in?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭orgaz

So envious of all you guys who already have theres or just waiting on there LOI.... :D

Sent application off on Tue from Canada.. was received Yesterday in Paris... And i must have checked my mails a million times already.. lol

hate this waiting and the unkown :( hopefully get good news soon, and it doesnt take to long... visa is up soon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 elprez

I am looking to head to BC next year depending if I am still in work here. Does Canada recognise irish degrees business and finance in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭luluslollypop

johnyowen wrote: »
    i got my loi today! just in time for my flights on the 19th. my medical results were sent to london exactly three weeks ago. very happy. I would however recommend that anyone hoping to go to canada early next year apply now cas its takin the guts of 4 months to get mine sorted between medicals and what not. best of luck to everyone else.

Congrats Johny!!

Still waititng on my LOI but I am in Vancouver, I came in on a holiday visa and I i'm still waiting i'm hoping to get it some time next week. What date did u do your medical exam, just trying to gage where i myt be on the list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 paddy9

I thought there may be someone out there who can help answer this, im sure there are people in similar situations. Im coming to the end of my 1 year working holiday visa which i got through USIT last year. I applied for a new working holiday visa and it has been sent to London , just waiting for the LOI email.

Im looking to get insurance for the new visa but finding it tough as as the companies in Ireland are telling me I have to be resident there for 6 months before they will offer we cover. Im wondering if anyone on here has been through this process and who they used to get coverage for a 2nd year in Canada?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 johnvbyrne

Hi

My IEC application was sent to London nearly 13 weeks ago on February 25th. Still nothing back - positive or otherwise.

Anybody else waiting this long?

I've emailed them repeatedly but just got one response, on April 7th:

Good afternoon;

Please be advised that due to an extremely high volume of International Experience Canada applications received over the course of the past two months, your application may take longer than the eight week approximated date to be processed.

It is possible that you have already received your response from the Visa Section at the High Commission of Canada to the UK. We recommend that applicants periodically check their junk mail settings and junk mail inbox, as some types of email accounts automatically forward responses from the Visa Section there.

We thank you for your appreciation in this matter.
    Best regards,

The IEC Team

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Got my garda cert today. at the top it says:

THIS CERTIFICATE IS ISSUED SOLELY FOR THE INFORMATION OF THE AUSTRALIAN CONSULAR AUTHORITIES

Does it matter that it says Australia instead of Canada?!?! Or will I get away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭myleftfoot

johnvbyrne wrote: »
    Hi

My IEC application was sent to London nearly 13 weeks ago on February 25th. Still nothing back - positive or otherwise.

Anybody else waiting this long?

I've emailed them repeatedly but just got one response, on April 7th:

Good afternoon;

Please be advised that due to an extremely high volume of International Experience Canada applications received over the course of the past two months, your application may take longer than the eight week approximated date to be processed.

It is possible that you have already received your response from the Visa Section at the High Commission of Canada to the UK. We recommend that applicants periodically check their junk mail settings and junk mail inbox, as some types of email accounts automatically forward responses from the Visa Section there.

We thank you for your appreciation in this matter.
    Best regards,

The IEC Team

What email address did you use? My application has been in France for longer than 3 weeks now. Seems a bit long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

THIS CERTIFICATE IS ISSUED SOLELY FOR THE INFORMATION OF THE AUSTRALIAN CONSULAR AUTHORITIES

Does it matter that it says Australia instead of Canada?!?! Or will I get away with it?

no way, dont risk it!
    go back and get them to give you another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

You have absolutely no chance of it being accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 johnvbyrne

Just got my letter of introduction today. It took 13 weeks though from the time my application went to London, so it can take ages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jimmycee

Hi guys,

I've been follow these threads for a while and they have been really helpful. Got my LOI and the plan is Vancouver for a year anyway if I can pick up a job over there.

I am heading out to Vancouver on 31st of May, flights booked so happy days.

Just wondering are there any of ye heading out on the same flight as it would be handy traveling with some of ye doing the same thing.

Advertisement