Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

RyanNolan wrote: »
    Would anybody know of any cheap hostels to stay in Vancouver??

Have you looked? Hostels.com will have any decent hostel in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

where is my LOI ??? HMM i probably should wait more :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

GGirl2010 wrote: »
    where is my LOI ??? HMM i probably should wait more :(:(:(

Sorry to hear you still aren't sorted

Feels like forever ago we all got started on this!

I fly out in four weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 35 callo2

WOW 160 pages was tough but I got lost of info, thanks for all the help!

I just received my accpetance letter and was wondering what ppl generally do once they arrive in Canada. I am unsure of where I'm going yet but as I am looking to get work in the media industry it looks like Toronto or Vancouver.

I was told to get an apt as soon as I can, but I am thinking what if I get an apt and it's really far from where I get a job. As jobs are hard to come by I don't want to turn my nose up to it just because of the location I'm living in.

Sarah, you seem to be a girl of knowledge, care to shed any light on this one? Should I hostel it til I get a job then look for an apt or just get an apt ASAP?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

callo2 wrote: »

I just received my accpetance letter and was wondering what ppl generally do once they arrive in Canada. I am unsure of where I'm going yet but as I am looking to get work in the media industry it looks like Toronto or Vancouver.

I was told to get an apt as soon as I can, but I am thinking what if I get an apt and it's really far from where I get a job. As jobs are hard to come by I don't want to turn my nose up to it just because of the location I'm living in.

Sarah, you seem to be a girl of knowledge, care to shed any light on this one? Should I hostel it til I get a job then look for an apt or just get an apt ASAP?

Cheers!

Go to Toronto if you want Media jobs mate

I've worked in the media in Ireland for years, and the best place I could get a job in Van was HMV

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 zizuzid

Hi Everyone,

For anyone joining the growing Irish community in Vancouver, please be sure to check out this page designed to give you all the relevant information you need. Avoid paying USIT for orientations and get free information complied from fellow immigrants!

https://www.facebook.com/messages/1093661598#!/profile.php?id=100002072539861

Please add "Moving to Vancouver" as a friend to keep up to date with information and events!

This page is set up by a fellow Irish immigrant. Please email us at Moving2Vancouver@gmail.com if you have any questions

Ruairi

DazzlerIE wrote: »
    Go to Toronto if you want Media jobs mate

I've worked in the media in Ireland for years, and the best place I could get a job in Van was HMV

Oh god really is it that bad! Thanks for the advice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Cheers!

I would advise you to look for any job at first or else Vancouver will bleed you dry. Once you have some money coming in you can try to find a media job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 RyanNolan

Supposed to be flying out to Canada this Friday!
    What are the chances that the flight will be cancelled because of this stupid ash cloud?

I would advise you to look for any job at first or else Vancouver will bleed you dry. Once you have some money coming in you can try to find a media job.

Cheers for the tip!

• Advertisement

RyanNolan wrote: »
    Supposed to be flying out to Canada this Friday!
    What are the chances that the flight will be cancelled because of this stupid ash cloud?

It's a possibilty but I heared the wind is pushing it away from us at the mo!

Good for you! You've given us renewed hope (I have my LOI since this week but my other half is still waiting, its been 16 weeks)

hey galwaygirl.. jw.. is that 16 weeks for a medical clearance or the original one. ? thanks

ggirl2010

It's a possibilty but I heared the wind is pushing it away from us at the mo!

my flight is booked for this friday but!! lol i stil got no visa ... i might just rearrange a diffo flight few weeks ahead maby gahhhh :eek::eek::eek: LOLZ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Frankjones45

Things havent planned out as they should have. Was meant to be going with a few more of the lads but repeats and all that. So i might being going myself. Just want to know will it be a massive waste of time or will it be easy to make friends ect. Also rent will be a issue. Not to sure what ill do. Any responses will be appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 juno2009

Things havent planned out as they should have. Was meant to be going with a few more of the lads but repeats and all that. So i might being going myself. Just want to know will it be a massive waste of time or will it be easy to make friends ect. Also rent will be a issue. Not to sure what ill do. Any responses will be appreciated

You should def come out here anyway - book yourself into a hostel and you will make tons of friends, trust me! Good luck and enjoy :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

juno2009 wrote: »
    You should def come out here anyway - book yourself into a hostel and you will make tons of friends, trust me! Good luck and enjoy :-)

Have you seen him? :D

fatherqueentag.jpg

This is on a good day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭SarahToronto

Cheers!

If I were you, living in Toronto, hostels are great, but after three weeks or something, I would look for apartments.

Renting is cheaper, (depending where you are), you have privacy and your stuff is safe. Plus, you can always move apartment if you find a job far away. Once you're on a subway/ streetcar line, you can get to work from anywhere!

You could rent a room in an apartment/house where its a month to month lease, OR rent wherever (you'll probably be stuck in a one year lease), and sublet your place if you must move for work. Landlords are not so bad if you give them one to two months notice and find people to sublet from you.

I wouldn't rent in the downtown core on a year lease immediately, because your job could be around the GTA.

Here's a subway map, relating to my next comment: http://www3.ttc.ca/Routes/General_Information/Maps/index.jsp

Instead try to rent outside the core, midtown/east/west, from the following stations: as west as High Park, as east as Donlands, AND as North as Eglinton West and Eglinton. (two different stations across from one another on the 'yellow' line.)
    Don't move to where the 'purple' coloured subway line on the map, because its miles away!!

These areas and surrounding blocks, are the outside core area where its still easy to get to everywhere if you work far away. There's also a lot of buses and streetcar connecting these stations to other areas of the city.

Try to save cash these ways:
    1. Try to get a place where Hydro (electric) bills are included in the rent cost, because the air conditioning will eat through your savings if you've to pay separately from your rent.
    2. You can always install internet later on if your apartment doesn't have it, just use cafes and libraries in the meantime.
    3. Furnished places can be hard to come by; I hate to say it, but IKEA might be your best friend for cheap furniture, all you need is a mattress and the rest will fit into place eventually. Also craigslist for free furniture, lamps, tables etc. I bought an air mattress for really cheap until I could afford a bed and other furniture and crap.
    5. A house will cost more in the long run if renting for a year or so - looking after the garden, heating/boiler services, and stuff can be expensive.
    4. Look up your prospective apartment/house choices in the following site, you don't want these critters turning up and biting you and ruining all your stuff. http://bedbugregistry.com/metro/toronto/

I hope this helped a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭luluslollypop

my flight is booked for this friday but!! lol i stil got no visa ... i might just rearrange a diffo flight few weeks ahead maby gahhhh :eek::eek::eek: LOLZ...

Hey guys!!! been in Vancouver nearly 3 weeks and still no LOI. E mailed them and everything and basically told to keep on waiting. 16 weeks wait too, this medical thing sucks!!

Just came into Canada as if i was on a holiday and nobody cared at all, then my friend got her LOI and went over the boarder and came back again in like 4 hours so if u have flights booked and no LOI don't worry about it.

It's a joke though i'm burning through my savings, while everyone else is working!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

It's a joke though i'm burning through my savings, while everyone else is working!!!

Ha, yesterday me and my friend did the sums on how much 4 months in Vancouver cost us...it was pretty shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

@JohnMearsheimer

I see you are in Lake Louise, was down there at the weekend quality spot!

• Advertisement

Hey guys!!! been in Vancouver nearly 3 weeks and still no LOI. E mailed them and everything and basically told to keep on waiting. 16 weeks wait too, this medical thing sucks!!

Just came into Canada as if i was on a holiday and nobody cared at all, then my friend got her LOI and went over the boarder and came back again in like 4 hours so if u have flights booked and no LOI don't worry about it.

Hi luluslollupop hows you.. em yeah im that same.. no LOI...i think its 14 weeks now not 16 im not too sure as i have lost count lol... anyway.. its over the 12 week mark . Yeah it is a long wait, i heard people that dont even need medical clearance got their loi at week 16. I dont think i wil flag pole it as i do not have lots of money to recoup for few weeks wait ya know.. heres to waiting more luluslollypop :cool::cool: ...

How much is the application if you apply to France? (i.e. not through USIT)

If I were you, living in Toronto, hostels are great, but after three weeks or something, I would look for apartments.

Renting is cheaper, (depending where you are), you have privacy and your stuff is safe. Plus, you can always move apartment if you find a job far away. Once you're on a subway/ streetcar line, you can get to work from anywhere!

You could rent a room in an apartment/house where its a month to month lease, OR rent wherever (you'll probably be stuck in a one year lease), and sublet your place if you must move for work. Landlords are not so bad if you give them one to two months notice and find people to sublet from you.

I wouldn't rent in the downtown core on a year lease immediately, because your job could be around the GTA.

Here's a subway map, relating to my next comment: http://www3.ttc.ca/Routes/General_Information/Maps/index.jsp

Instead try to rent outside the core, midtown/east/west, from the following stations: as west as High Park, as east as Donlands, AND as North as Eglinton West and Eglinton. (two different stations across from one another on the 'yellow' line.)
    Don't move to where the 'purple' coloured subway line on the map, because its miles away!!

These areas and surrounding blocks, are the outside core area where its still easy to get to everywhere if you work far away. There's also a lot of buses and streetcar connecting these stations to other areas of the city.

Try to save cash these ways:
    1. Try to get a place where Hydro (electric) bills are included in the rent cost, because the air conditioning will eat through your savings if you've to pay separately from your rent.
    2. You can always install internet later on if your apartment doesn't have it, just use cafes and libraries in the meantime.
    3. Furnished places can be hard to come by; I hate to say it, but IKEA might be your best friend for cheap furniture, all you need is a mattress and the rest will fit into place eventually. Also craigslist for free furniture, lamps, tables etc. I bought an air mattress for really cheap until I could afford a bed and other furniture and crap.
    5. A house will cost more in the long run if renting for a year or so - looking after the garden, heating/boiler services, and stuff can be expensive.
    4. Look up your prospective apartment/house choices in the following site, you don't want these critters turning up and biting you and ruining all your stuff. http://bedbugregistry.com/metro/toronto/

I hope this helped a bit!

Sarah thanks so much for all the info, very kind of you to spend time with all of that... it's very much appreciated!

Sorry to annoy you again but I'm planning to move over to Toronto in Sept, but I heard during the film festival (8-18th Sept) it's very difficult to get accomodation and prices go up.

I'm wondering is it better to go over before the festiaval or after it. I'd prob be going to a hostel for a few weeks and once I have a job then get an apartment.

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Shine7

17 and a half weeks after sending my original application I have finally recieved my LOI with medical clearance!!!!

My girlfriend got hers about 8 weeks ago so it's been a tense wait.

HURRAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck to everyone else waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Grinder Man

Hey luluslollypop,

I arrived in Vancouver two weeks ago and have been looking for work. Where did your friends try to find work? I havent gotten a response yet. I mostly use Craiglist and Jobsbank.ca. I have also handed CVs out.
    I would be grateful for any info.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Galwaaygirl

Shine7 wrote: »
    17 and a half weeks after sending my original application I have finally recieved my LOI with medical clearance!!!!

My girlfriend got hers about 8 weeks ago so it's been a tense wait.

HURRAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck to everyone else waiting.

:) Great news Shine7. Maybe my other half will get his this week too!!

hey you guys ok i have my letter of introduction!!!! came 7: 40 this morning...

i think it was week 14 or 15 ... lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 langleybc

Hi, I have just recieved an email from the London office requesting an interview over the phone with my husband for iec.

"A visa officer has requested an interview with you over the telephone. A visa officer will contact you on Wednesday 1st June 2011 at 10:00 hours, please provide a day time contact number. "

Has anyone out there got a interview with an officer? If so, what type of questions do they ask? confused.gif

My IOL was sent to me yesturday. I am finding it very hard to be happy as my daughter recieved an email from the london office saying her study permit has been rejected & will be posted out. We forgot to send a payment for $125 so i take it thats the reason for that.

We are returning your application for a study permit today by mail as this is not a complete application for a study permit - only forms attached to your Father's IEC application. Please consult our website under the study section for information on how to apply for a study permit then re-send with all supporting documents and processing fee of $125

My daughter & son our on my husbands iec application.

Please help!

Hi you guys, em ou know for the backpackers travel insurance do they want to see the validation cert along with the poilcy document . The policy document is 20 pages or so long now ??

Thanks, Ggirl2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Galwaaygirl

Hi you guys, em ou know for the backpackers travel insurance do they want to see the validation cert along with the poilcy document . The policy document is 20 pages or so long now ??

Thanks, Ggirl2010

Congrats on gettin your LOI GGirl:)
    I'd imagine the certificate is enough...Maybe keep it on your email and ask to access it if necessary?

Advertisement