Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

red menace wrote: »
    @JohnMearsheimer

I see you are in Lake Louise, was down there at the weekend quality spot!

Yep, I'm in Lake Louise. I took a 14 hour bus trip from Vancouver. It's a bit of a shock compared to Vancouver! We still have snow at the moment, it'll be beautiful in the summer (not that it isn't in the snow).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Yep wasn't expecting the lake to be still frozen last week but it still looked well, the other Irish visitors were well impressed

Ps, this is how it looks when its not snow covered!!

DSC_0206.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Galwaaygirl

WOW!

It is spectacular around here, this is one I took of the lake completely frozen over when I was out walking about 2 hours ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

thanks gallwaygirl.. ok i have one week to get my aact together!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭luluslollypop

Hey all got my LOI last Wed and went over the boared on Thurs to get my visa so I am now on the job hunt in Vancouver!!!
    Easy peasy driving over the boarder and coming back in no problems at all!!

If anyway is coming to Vancouver let me know!!! Cant wait to finally start looking for a job i hope one comes up soon!!! Fingers crossed!!! xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 36 erikaboxer

Hey, just popping up again :)

Started lookin for accomm (not goin to Van til late Sept but thought id put it out there, mainly on craigslist) and got a nice reply from a german woman who lives with her daughter in West Van on Marine Drive, they have someone movin out just before i go over and the set up all looks good..

Just wonderin if anyone on here has lived there or knows the area, is it a good area to live in? i know its about 30mins from downtown by bus and the bus goes between 2 zones or somethin but i dont mind the transport side of it as long as its a nice area itself

Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 nahuvy

This is ridiculous in my 19th week since original appling and i still havent got my LOI.:(:( may just go and try crossing the border when i hopefully do receive it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jckelly

johnvbyrne wrote: »
    Hi

My IEC application was sent to London nearly 13 weeks ago on February 25th. Still nothing back - positive or otherwise.

Anybody else waiting this long?

I've emailed them repeatedly but just got one response, on April 7th:

Good afternoon;

Please be advised that due to an extremely high volume of International Experience Canada applications received over the course of the past two months, your application may take longer than the eight week approximated date to be processed.

It is possible that you have already received your response from the Visa Section at the High Commission of Canada to the UK. We recommend that applicants periodically check their junk mail settings and junk mail inbox, as some types of email accounts automatically forward responses from the Visa Section there.

We thank you for your appreciation in this matter.
    Best regards,

The IEC Team
    Hi JohnvByrne I'm in the same situation just wondering if you have received yours yet got my email from France on the 28th of February then one from London 21st March and nothing since

erikaboxer wrote: »
    Hey, just popping up again :)

Started lookin for accomm (not goin to Van til late Sept but thought id put it out there, mainly on craigslist) and got a nice reply from a german woman who lives with her daughter in West Van on Marine Drive, they have someone movin out just before i go over and the set up all looks good..

Just wonderin if anyone on here has lived there or knows the area, is it a good area to live in? i know its about 30mins from downtown by bus and the bus goes between 2 zones or somethin but i dont mind the transport side of it as long as its a nice area itself

Cheers :)

Marine Drive is fine but its practically in Richmond. It's a bit far out if you want to go out in Vancouver late at night. I'm not sure if there's a night bus out there. There is also a Skytrain station (Canada Line) in the area that would be a lot quicker than the bus but I think it stops running just after 1 am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 discowalsh

hi.

me and my girlfriend have been living in vancouver for 1 year and 6 months. we have a 2 bed apartment on main st. we are leaving on the 1st of august. we have a fully furnished apartment. beds, lamps, tables, kettle, knives,t.v,speakers,chairs,dressers, etc...everything you need. if possible i would like to sell it all to an irish person moving to van.

honestly i dont know how much we spent on all the stuff over the past year and half but i reckon it comes to about 3,000 if not more. i want to sell everything for 1000. we have some great stuff. huge bed and matress that cost 450(you can have duvet too, brand new 70 dollars+3 pillows). kitchen table, 6 chairs, 2 sofa beds, all the kitchen stuff, hoover, brush, mop, 2 sweet dressers, new towels...basically everything you need and its good stuff. i would like to give all this to an irish person and not craiglist cos 1. someone helped me out like this when i moved here 2. its easier then selling it all individually.

if you moving to van you most likely will be moving into an unfurnished place. then the cheapest way of kitting a place out is value village, salvation army, walmart, home depot etc...i know 1000 dollars is alot to add onto your costs for already moving but i gaurantee it will save you alot of cash in the long run and if its split 2 0r 3 ways then thats serious savings. if you are interested i can send you on pics of the house. you can rent a Uhaul on an international license for about 50 dollars. we'll help you move everything. i'm not trying to make money, just to help someone out and get some of the money we spent back. thanks for reading.

slan.

Marine Drive is fine but its practically in Richmond. It's a bit far out if you want to go out in Vancouver late at night. I'm not sure if there's a night bus out there. There is also a Skytrain station (Canada Line) in the area that would be a lot quicker than the bus but I think it stops running just after 1 am.
    nah i mean like North Van, not richmond, as in North West sort of thing
    apparently theres buses til 1am and then start again 5am
    im also lookin at kits, cos i want to be as close to the coast as poss so itl prob be one of the 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

im also lookin at kits, cos i want to be as close to the coast as poss so itl prob be one of the 2
    To be honest, though North Vancouver is nice, I wouldn't want to live there. They don't have beaches as nice as near downtown & Kits imo. Especially since they have lots of beaches close together. It's also far away, not that far, but still across the bridge etc. Though Grouse Mt is close, there's not all that much to do there compared with the rest of Van when it comes to nightlife and events. It's a short bus ride to downtown. If you're out late you'd be hopping a joe maxi home. It's can also be quite expensive to live there. Though like everywhere I suppose shop around and you can get something cheap.

I'm not trying to put you off North Van, nice place, but better off elsewhere - like Kits. It has a beach, is close enough to downtown, is a nice area, not as expensive as North Van. I wish I could remember more but atm can't quite do so. Kits is close to the coast, you can find lots of places out there that are very nice, not too expensive and close to the beach and downtown. Good area in general, better than most.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭orgaz

Hey all got my LOI last Wed and went over the boared on Thurs to get my visa so I am now on the job hunt in Vancouver!!!
    Easy peasy driving over the boarder and coming back in no problems at all!!

If anyway is coming to Vancouver let me know!!! Cant wait to finally start looking for a job i hope one comes up soon!!! Fingers crossed!!! xxx

Hey luluslollypop, what did u need with you when you went over the boarder, did u have to cross into the US?

Im in Toronto at the minute and I got my LOI last week, i need to activate it and was just wondering what kind of questions etc and what docs you needed?

I was hoping to go to Niagra to do it, I dont drive :/

North Van is really nice but I would be bored to tears if I lived there. It's just not as handy as Kitsilano. I lived in Kitsilano when I lived in Vancouver. You're pretty near to downtown. There's a couple of beaches there, excellent transport to downtown, including a night bus. A taxi home will only cost ya about 15-20 bucks if you miss the last bus at 3 am. Lots of bars, restaurants and places to do your shopping on 4th and on West Broadway too.

Ok, thanks Lenmeister and JohnMearsheimer!!

Will defo have a good think about this, from what I've seen Kits seemed to me to be more expensive, maybe I should look a bit harder for a bargain as it does sound more appealing :)

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

i have a quuestion i hope someone can answer my friend and i are appling got the IEC but hes from the north and holds an irish passport how does that effect him?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 zizuzid

Hey everyone,

I came across the article below written by someone from England about visa application process. It has lots of useful advice so have a read but bear in mind that some of the addresses, etc may be different for UK applicants

http://global-goose.com/featured/how-canada-holiday-vis/

I set up a Facebook page and I'm currently working on a website aimed at assisting people with planning their move and settling in Vancouver

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002072539861

Let me know if I can help with anything!

All the best,

Ruairi
    Moving2Vancouver@gmail.com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 zizuzid

Hey everyone,

I came across the article below written by someone from England about visa application process. It has lots of useful advice so have a read but bear in mind that some of the addresses, etc may be different for UK applicants

http://global-goose.com/featured/how...a-holiday-vis/

I set up a Facebook page (Moving to Vancouver) and I'm currently working on a website aimed at assisting people with planning their move and settling in Vancouver

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002072539861

Let me know if I can help with anything!

All the best,

Ruairi
    Moving2Vancouver@gmail.com

orgaz wrote: »
    Hey luluslollypop, what did u need with you when you went over the boarder, did u have to cross into the US?

Im in Toronto at the minute and I got my LOI last week, i need to activate it and was just wondering what kind of questions etc and what docs you needed?

I was hoping to go to Niagra to do it, I dont drive :/

Hey - sorry if i'm too late. They didn't look at anything for mine just my passport and LOI nothing else no proof of money- even though i had it with me, and i had proof of insurance too but they didn't look at that either. Hope that helps!!!

• Advertisement

Ok, thanks Lenmeister and JohnMearsheimer!!

Will defo have a good think about this, from what I've seen Kits seemed to me to be more expensive, maybe I should look a bit harder for a bargain as it does sound more appealing :)

Cheers
    Hey Kits is a lot more expensive because it's the place to be, especially during the summer- i uped the amount of money i was willing to pay for rent just so I could live in Kits it's totall worth it. Beaches, parks sports, bars, shopping, downtown all easy to get to and from!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Lenmeister wrote: »
    To be honest, though North Vancouver is nice, I wouldn't want to live there. They don't have beaches as nice as near downtown & Kits imo..

Dundarave and Ambleside are great beaches. Spent many an hour or four on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

Flying out to Vancouver next Thursday

So so close :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

I'm flyin to Toronto on the 5th of July, finish up work on the 30th of June can't wait :D

is every one getting there insurance from backpackers?
    seems to be the best at €150-€170
    multitrip.com are coming in at €170 as well so might be using the same company

my 1 way flight cost €400 in the end happy out with that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I got backpackers...shouldnt have got it for the full year though.
    starting a job that gives me full benefits wrt doctor & dental, so dont really need it anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 nahuvy

Hey heading out to toronto on friday with airtransat but i just notice that they have hand luggage restriction of 5kg and i was wondering if that a really strict about weight, has anybody else used them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

retalivity wrote: »
    I got backpackers...shouldnt have got it for the full year though.
    starting a job that gives me full benefits wrt doctor & dental, so dont really need it anymore

better be safe though an have it as they can stop you on entry to check for it, it's rare but have heard reports from mates on it.

Nice to get it with the job fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 hanlon01

nahuvy wrote: »
    Hey heading out to toronto on friday with airtransat but i just notice that they have hand luggage restriction of 5kg and i was wondering if that a really strict about weight, has anybody else used them
    Went to toronto with them a couple weeks ago and no weight restrictions on hand luggage.They don't check weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 hickster2011

Just saw this post and im hoping someone can help me,im currently in australia on a 1 year working visa. I have been here for 8 months and im now looking to apply for the canadian work visa. How do i go about applying? Do i need to get police clearance from here and from Ireland? Is there any other info that i need? Could really use some help! thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 hickster2011

Just saw this post and im hoping someone can help me,im currently in australia on a 1 year working visa. I have been here for 8 months and im now looking to apply for the canadian work visa. How do i go about applying? Do i need to get police clearance from here and from Ireland? Is there any other info that i need? Could really use some help! thanks!

Advertisement