Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 metoyou09

Thanks for the replies everybody.

We re looking at Kitsilano now in Vancouver. Gunna see what there is like and sure we can always move on if its too expensive and the likes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Hey does anyone know if you can apply to the skilled workers visa after the u35?? I'm lucky enough to be one of the catagories and am planning on getting a years experience before i go over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

Kits is nice, though places are expensive generally there, my friend got his own room near the beach and local amenities/bus route for 500 including everything. So look hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 turtlepower

Hi all.
    Off to Vancouver in the next three weeks hopefully. Still waiting on the introduction letter but booked the flights well after the processing time the IEC gave + the four weeks for medical clearance. I asked this in another, older thread which so not sure if its appropriate to ask this again but should I have been notified by IEC that they have received my medical details? I've not heard a word from them since I did it.

I'm not sure to be honest about that. I'd say it's taken as a normal application with a few extra weeks to review the medical. Hopefully someone who has done the same thing will give you insight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 cocopop11

Moving to Toronto in 2 weeks - going solo!

Would appreciate feedback from peple who did likewise, the do's and the do nots etc..

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jimmybeige

cocopop11 wrote: »
    Moving to Toronto in 2 weeks - going solo!

Would appreciate feedback from peple who did likewise, the do's and the do nots etc..

Cheers

Where are you staying when you first arrive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 cocopop11

Having a look at hostels now, nothing booked as yet wanna make sure i pick a guddin

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Plenty of info here

However, be warned, this list is subject to change depending on market conditions....so what you are skilled in now may not be on the list in a years time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

so, i decided to apply for an iec visa out of curiousity last monday (i already live in canada, have a work permit thats non iec/usit related, and have been here since 2009) and got the email today that id been accepted

since my current company specific visa only lets me work in one industry and for one company, im gonna extend it in january for 8 months when its up and then activate the iec one, keeping my job in the process and letting me work for another company too if i fancy moonlighting

im unsure as to whether i feel bad for essentially taking a visa from someone who actually needs one, but its august like... theyve had 8 months to sort it out

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 magnifeek

Hi All, been reading a lot on this forum about jobs, Toronto Vs Vancouver, and so on but I would like to ask if you think it is best to enter Canada early in the calendar year, ie, Jan, Feb as opposed to the Summer months? I mean I would have thought there are a lot people aiming to go in May/June/July and perhaps find it difficult to find work due to the competition. Would you advise trying to go early or do you think it makes a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

magnifeek wrote: »
    Hi All, been reading a lot on this forum about jobs, Toronto Vs Vancouver, and so on but I would like to ask if you think it is best to enter Canada early in the calendar year, ie, Jan, Feb as opposed to the Summer months? I mean I would have thought there are a lot people aiming to go in May/June/July and perhaps find it difficult to find work due to the competition. Would you advise trying to go early or do you think it makes a difference?

Summer months are a very bad time to enter to Canada to find a job due to staff been on holidays etc and generally employers dont like hiring then. Early months and Sept to mid Nov they prefer to hire as offices are fully staffed then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 metoyou09

Lenmeister wrote: »
    Kits is nice, though places are expensive generally there, my friend got his own room near the beach and local amenities/bus route for 500 including everything. So look hard.

grand, thanks for that. gunna keep a look out closer to when we leave and see what the prices are like then so we have a better idea too

Aye good idea, check em every so often so you don't lose touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I'm moving to Newfoundland for college in January :D So excited, gonna be cold though!

Just waiting on my acceptance letter from my college to start applying for my study permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 doherta5

Anyone know how long the IEC visa process takes, between the initial sending of the application form and the letter of acceptance being received?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jimmybeige

cocopop11 wrote: »
    Having a look at hostels now, nothing booked as yet wanna make sure i pick a guddin

Canadiana is very good for meeting people.
    http://www.canadianalodging.com/

doherta5 wrote: »
    Anyone know how long the IEC visa process takes, between the initial sending of the application form and the letter of acceptance being received?

absolute max of 10 weeks i believe

I'm moving to Newfoundland for college in January

nice

me and the missus have discussed moving there in a few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Niamh_Cush

hey we just arrived in Vancouver this week looking for a place to watch the Dublin V Donegal match this weekend? Also house hunting at the minute if anyone has any suggestions/advice would much appreciate it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fcukschillaci

Niamh_Cush wrote: »
    hey we just arrived in Vancouver this week looking for a place to watch the Dublin V Donegal match this weekend? Also house hunting at the minute if anyone has any suggestions/advice would much appreciate it!

Smileys pub on pender st. usually opens early to show the GAA matches, ring them 1st to confirm 604 662 8866. Also Doolins on Granville St. are known to show the odd game, check their website.

On the accomodation, may i suggest Richmond area some where close to the Canada Line. You can get alot more bang for your buck out there. When i first arrived here i was told great thing about Kitsilano area, but it is quite expensive for rent and food etc. and at this time of year you are competeing with alot of students trying to get apartments. Some building can be quite loud at nite with student activities!!!!!

All the best in your quest for GAA & Accomodation and welcome to Vancouver!

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

Kits is hands down the best place to live in Van

You can get a room there for like 500 a month if you're willing to put in the leg work

I'm paying 470 for my own room in Kits (right by the beach) and I know of another house where my mate lives and they're all paying similar

You'd be mental to live out in Richmond imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fcukschillaci

But you can get an entire apartment for 600 - 800 out in Richmond and it only 20mins from downtown on the Canada Line

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

see there's the trade off

I don't mind paying a bit of a premium to be close to the beach and a lot closer to dt

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

Hey everyone,

Currently trying to apply for my 1 year visa and am wondering about the IMM 1295 form. Obviously you are not required to have a job in Canada before you head over but on that form there is a section "Details of intended Work in Canada" which asks for employers details etc. Can anyone shed a little light here? Should I just leave that whole section blank or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 claireok

Hi all,

I've booked a flight to Toronto for November and I'm heading over on my own-I don't know anyone over there either!

I'm scared to bejesus and It would be really handy if somebody, who was once in my position (friendless upon arrival!), could give me some pointers or opinions on where to start when I get over there.

Cheers!

Mongo wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

Currently trying to apply for my 1 year visa and am wondering about the IMM 1295 form. Obviously you are not required to have a job in Canada before you head over but on that form there is a section "Details of intended Work in Canada" which asks for employers details etc. Can anyone shed a little light here? Should I just leave that whole section blank or what?

You put "Not Applicable" in both those sections. If you read the directions on filling in the form you'll get answers on all the sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

Sorry I must've missed that. Thanks for the help.

According to the IEC Ireland page there are only 20 visas left so get it in quick!

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Galwaaygirl

doherta5 wrote: »

They will send you an email to say you have been conditionally accepted and your application has been sent to London. The next one will be looking for payment and they will tell you the estimated process time then. Add 2-3 weeks for medical if you have to do one

Advertisement