Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2010-2011?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

beano345 wrote: »
    how are you finding calgary technopool? is it expensive?

Rent is cheaper than vanc or toronto, found work easily enough after 3 weeks. Alcohol is cheaper than other provinces.

overall i would really recommend it, not alot of irish floating around like the other cities so you stand out and the women only love it.

gamsheen wrote: »
    TechnoPool

My plan was to travel around for a while first. Over the next while I will be searching to see where about the work is.I am in sales all my life so will be looking out for that...

PM me if your in calagry i could set you up with something, just to get some $$$'s in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

TechnoPool wrote: »
    Rent is cheaper than vanc or toronto, found work easily enough after 3 weeks. Alcohol is cheaper than other provinces.

overall i would really recommend it, not alot of irish floating around like the other cities so you stand out and the women only love it.

might take a trip out that direction see how toronto goes for a while...oh and its the same with the ladies in toronto too easy over here;)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cybrandian

Hey All,

Planning to head over to Vancouver or Toronto the first week in January. More than likely I will start with Vancouver and see how it goes. Going to be heading over on my own, with no job or accomodation sorted.

Just wondering if anyone else is in the same situation? Any tips on a decent hostel to stay in until I set myself up? Or tips on finding work etc?

Also, does anyone know if it is possible to book an open-ended return flight online? Or would I have to go through the likes of USIT? I was looking at the price of a one-way ticket there on Skyscanner from Shannon to Vancouver, it's €604, seems a bit steep, so I might be better off booking a return, even though I have no idea if/when I would come back for a holiday.

Anyway, any advice would be great.

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 zizuzid

Hey everyone,

Been awhile since I've posted. Around 6 months ago I set up a "Moving to Vancouver" friend account on Facebook designed to give people access to free objective information to help them plan their move. Since then, I've been busy building a simple website to give people all the information they need.

Please check it out

www.moving2vancouver.ca

Be sure to add Moving to Vancouver as a friend also so you can keep up to date with all news and events.

Moving to Vancouver on Facebook

Let me know if you have any questions.

Ruairi
    info@moving2vancouver.ca

• Advertisement

Hey everyone,

Been awhile since I've posted. Around 6 months ago I set up a "Moving to Vancouver" friend account on Facebook designed to give people access to free objective information to help them plan their move. Since then, I've been busy building a simple website to give people all the information they need.

Please check it out

www.moving2vancouver.ca

Be sure to add Moving to Vancouver as a friend also so you can keep up to date with all news and events.

Moving to Vancouver on Facebook

Let me know if you have any questions.

Ruairi
    info@moving2vancouver.ca

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭niva*sis

hey everyone
    so i lived in toronto from march to sept this year came home for my sisters wedding and the plan was then to go to oz but i miss TO and now i want to go back there instead.. i was doing office work in toronto so what i need to know is does anyone know place looking for receptionist/administrator for nov and dec in toronto.. i would need to have secured work before i leave as i cannot afford to go otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

bump.

Quick (possibly silly) question, Im here over 6 months in canada on my IEC, and am looking to go home to Ireland for 2 weeks at xmas. No problem there, or so I thought, but my girlfriend was looking at my passport and the IEC, and it explicitly says on it
    'not permitted for reentry'.
    does this bar me from leaving the country during my time here? I was pretty sure it means that I can't 'reactivate' it, ergo starting a new year with it, but just want clarification before i start booking flights etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭PrinceMax

retalivity wrote: »
    bump.

Quick (possibly silly) question, Im here over 6 months in canada on my IEC, and am looking to go home to Ireland for 2 weeks at xmas. No problem there, or so I thought, but my girlfriend was looking at my passport and the IEC, and it explicitly says on it
    'not permitted for reentry'.
    does this bar me from leaving the country during my time here? I was pretty sure it means that I can't 'reactivate' it, ergo starting a new year with it, but just want clarification before i start booking flights etc.

I don't think that is what is says, it says, 'Does not authorize re-entry'.
    On my work permit it says: "Does not authorize re-entry". What does this mean?

This restriction is not relevant for visa-exempt nationals . Work permit holders who also require a visa need to make sure that their visa is still valid for re-entry when travelling outside Canada or else they need to apply for a visa at an embassy outside Canada.

Irish nationals are visa exempt.

happy days!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ringo200

Definitely not, my girlfriend just home for a week and had no worries re-entering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 willbh

Hey guys, looking to move to Vancouver in March/April next year, just wondering where people are getting their travel insurance? Does one need medical insurance aswell or will travel insurance suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cosmicsurfer

@ willbh, I went from sept '10 to sept '11. I went with USIT while they're not strictly the most cost effective they do sometimes think of things for you and are an email away (or phone call when you're still here). They give you medical insurance as it's needed from what I remember that covers most non serious things. I have mild asthma and i'll I had to do was ring up the insurance company they deal with and tell them and that I was on top of it re inhalers and the like and they said "that's fine, you're covered". Sayit travel may be competitive with price or extra stuff they do for you, I donno since I didn't book with them but it'd be worth looking them up to see how they compare. If you want to know the names of the good hostels and or sights to see, feel free to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 madison91

Hi guys,

I moved over to Toronto two months ago but have decided to head back to Ireland, realised there's no place like home!

I know how hard it can be to get accomodation sorted when you get here so said I would let you know that i'm renting out my room for Nov 1. It in North York, near Finch Station, so you can get pretty much anywhere on the subway and its a short ride from downtown. There are two other females living in the house so they are looking for another professional female if possible.

If you want any more details, just drop me a message.

Marie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

Im heading over there next march hopefully . Just wondering where would be the best location to find an autocad job. I have experience but am willing to start at the bottom . Is winter really that bad there? best way to become permanent there?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 doherta5

Hey there guys, just wondering if anyone could tell me what rent is like in Vancouver? I believe it's a very expensive city but wanted to find out how much I'm looking at forking out when I head over in January. Also, what are wages like? In a job here where I haven't a clue what I'm qualified at (damn that Communications degree!) so I dunno what I'll be doing when I get over there. Is it more like London in terms of the disparity between pay and cost of living?

doherta5 wrote: »
    Hey there guys, just wondering if anyone could tell me what rent is like in Vancouver? I believe it's a very expensive city but wanted to find out how much I'm looking at forking out when I head over in January. Also, what are wages like? In a job here where I haven't a clue what I'm qualified at (damn that Communications degree!) so I dunno what I'll be doing when I get over there. Is it more like London in terms of the disparity between pay and cost of living?

Hi doherta5,

That's like asking "how much is rent in dublin?" to which the answer is many questions:
    Do you want to live Downtown on in suburbs?
    House or apartment?
    Alone or with friends?

Generic questions get generic answers but the rent will cost you somewhere between $500-900 per month. If you can be more specific, then I'm happy to give you more precise info. Use the link below to read about areas where you can live and costs also and then maybe you can use some of the links to get an idea for yourself. I also posted the Accommodation Board link which will help you find a house/apartment with like-minded international people

Email me at info@moving2vancouver if you have any questions. There is also lots of advice on employment and plenty of photos to get you excited. It's an amazing place to live and Toronto is no comparison to the beauty of Vancouver. I lived in both. Vancouver does not have as a good a nightlife, as wide range of cultures but it's all about what's around you in Vancouver.

http://www.moving2vancouver.ca/living/overview-living/

Ruairi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 snowluver

hey lenmeister,

heading to whistler in jan 12. how did you find living there last year. is it hard to find jobs/accom? more interested in finding accom than a job but if i can find a job too then great! complete newbie here but hoping to snowboard for a few months. you think it'd be a good place for a newbe to head to?

any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

anyone else heading to whistler around the same time? company would be nice!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 stratman90

Hey,

My names Connor and my girlfriend and I are heading off to Banff next Tuesday!!

Exciting times, we'll be there for a year and if any of you are about gimme a pm or something :):)

stratman90 wrote: »
    Hey,

My names Connor and my girlfriend and I are heading off to Banff next Tuesday!!

Exciting times, we'll be there for a year and if any of you are about gimme a pm or something :):)

just curious, why banff?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Some questions guys:

What time of year is best for looking for work in Vancouver?
    What's the work situation like in Vancouver at the moment?
    How much would you need for living expenses per week there?
    Is there a lot to filling out the forms for the IEC?
    When is the next time we can apply and how soon after can you travel?

Also, has anyone here applied from abroad? Do they require a police cert from the country you're in at the time of application? My girlfriend and I are in Korea at the moment.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 spartacus 109

Hi guys I'm pretty new here, I'm currently out in Canada living on the Gulf islands.. I'm on the IEC program and considering moving to Victoria soon.. Just wondering if anyone on here is living there if they might have a bit of info on jobs/accommodation?

Thanks.

kraggy wrote: »
    Some questions guys:

What time of year is best for looking for work in Vancouver?
    What's the work situation like in Vancouver at the moment?
    How much would you need for living expenses per week there?
    Is there a lot to filling out the forms for the IEC?
    When is the next time we can apply and how soon after can you travel?

Also, has anyone here applied from abroad? Do they require a police cert from the country you're in at the time of application? My girlfriend and I are in Korea at the moment.

Thanks.

I applied from Ireland last year, but had lived in Korea in 2009/2010. I put in a request for a police cert from there, as youre supposedly required to provide one from each country youve lived in for more than 1 year in the past 5 (iirc). However, it took so long to be sent out to me, that I just applied without it with the caveat that i could provide it at a later date if needed. Got the visa eventually after a couple of weeks, was never asked for proof of the korean police cert at all.

No idea about vancouver at all.
    There a fair few forms to fill out, nothing crazy though.
    Will probably be able to apply again shortly after the new year.

There was a few posters l;ast year who applied from places like oz & nz (i think), have a look through the threads and see if anything shows up, or maybe they'll be back to respond here

I'm sure I posted this already. Where did people get their insurance from inside Canada?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 thebeats

Hi guys I'm pretty new here, I'm currently out in Canada living on the Gulf islands.. I'm on the IEC program and considering moving to Victoria soon.. Just wondering if anyone on here is living there if they might have a bit of info on jobs/accommodation?

Thanks.

Hi. My husband and I are living in Victoria for the past 2 months. We're on the IEC program too.
    We spent the first few days walking around the different neighbourhoods trying to suss out the nice areas to live in. TBH, most areas are nice, so it just depends what your looking for. We're in Fairfield, beside Cook St Village, 10 mins walk to downtown, the beach and Beacon Hill park, so we're very central and Cook st village has everything we need.
    It took us about 8/9 days to sort out an apartment, through an agency, Brown Bros, who were very helpful. Our 1-bed apt is 825 a month, spacious but was unfurnished.
    Took a while to get jobs so maybe start looking before you get here.
    Usedvictoria.com and victoria.kijiji.ca are good to search for both jobs and accommodation.
    Any other q's let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 doherta5

Can anyone recommend an insurance company for the travel insurance required for the IEC?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cybrandian

doherta5 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend an insurance company for the travel insurance required for the IEC?

I got mine from http://www.blueinsurance.ie/ which covers everything required under the IEC visa.

You need to pay extra then if you require cover for winter sports etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CADTechDublin

Hi there, I'm new around here but was just wondering if anyone has any advice about moving to Toronto? Thinking about going at in Spring 2012 and I'm not too sure where to start with accommodation. I don't want to sign up for a 1 year lease in an area I know nothing about but everywhere I see that's rented by the month seems to be a bit of a disaster or really expensive. What do people usually do?

Also, I'm a CAD Technician with 5 years experience, does anyone know anything about the job market for CAD Technicians and in general?

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

I'm almost finished my 1st year in Canada with the u35 working VISA program and have my second year sorted. My question is when I re-enter Canada to renew my VISA do I need to have a flight booked home? It was one of the conditions of my first VISA but I see no mention of it on the new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Got an e-mail today to say my study permit was approved. Sent in the completed application October 20th, delighted with the fast return, waiting time was said to be 6 weeks.

So flying to St John's Newfoundland January 3rd :D Just hope I can find somewhere nice to live there!

Advertisement